who is recruiting new chl holders?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texanjoker

who is recruiting new chl holders?

Post by texanjoker »

Just got another co worker to sign up for a chl this week! That is 3 that I have recruited over the past few months. Keep those numbers growing! I just can't get my buddy to get one. He carries legally in the car, but like others he is afraid of some "govt list."

Who else is recruiting new CHL holders?

EdWeird
Posts in topic: 1

Re: who is recruiting new chl holders?

Post by EdWeird »

I did... sort of.

I showed a co-worker an email I received for $99 gift certificates for a defensive handgun courses. She thought it would make a great Father's Day present for her husband and took the email. It turns out a prerequisite of the course is to have a CHL. My friend bought TWO gift certificates--one for the CHL course, one for the defensive handgun course. Turns out her husband has been considering getting a CHL for some time.

After he gets his CHL, our plan is for he and I to take the second course together.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I got my wife and all of our bible study group to get theirs! That's 14!. Working on a few more friends as well.

texanjoker wrote: but like others he is afraid of some "govt list."
You'll never convince me that they aren't already capturing the info when the background checks are called in. There is probably only a 95-99% chance he's already on the list.

Capt Jeff

Post by Capt Jeff »

Been working on a buddy of mine for a while. Taken him to the range a couple times to shoot some of my handguns to find what is comfortable to shoot. We're going next weekend to Reliant Center for the gun show to pick up one of his own (a Springfield XDm).

I think he is going to wait for the shorter classes in September to get the plastic, though.
NRA Life (Patronage) Member

US Merchant Marine - The Fourth Arm of Defense

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I recruited half of my church (small) and requited all of my support staff.

hpcatx

Post by hpcatx »

texanjoker wrote:I just can't get my buddy to get one. He carries legally in the car, but like others he is afraid of some "govt list."
Doesn't he know that by merely associating with the likes of you, he's already on some government list?
I kid, I kid. :biggrinjester:

I just got another friend in Austin to sign up for an upcoming CHL class, but still working on my wife to get her LA CHP. A shooting that happened around the corner from her office in downtown New Orleans last week, however, has pushed her one step closer; getting her license has been the topic at dinner for a couple of evenings since. Unfortunately processing times for new applications here is running north of three months.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

carlson1 wrote:I recruited half of my church (small) and requited all of my support staff.
And we appreciate it, too! :thumbs2:
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OldCannon »

flechero wrote:
You'll never convince me that they aren't already capturing the info when the background checks are called in. There is probably only a 95-99% chance he's already on the list.
Well, a background check doesn't reveal much more than what the govt already has, other than the fact that you are having a background check done for a handgun, a long gun, or "other". No other additional details are transmitted. More importantly, if you have a CHL, there's no background check, so NOTHING is "transmitted" to the govt. People that are paranoid SHOULD get a CHL, as it masks their future purchases.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

chuck j

Post by chuck j »

I try to get responsible people I know to get their CHL but have not had a lot of luck . I wish more would carry have convinced two that I know of , I hope the new rules to get one will encourage more .

Lucky

Post by Lucky »

texanjoker wrote:Just got another co worker to sign up for a chl this week! That is 3 that I have recruited over the past few months. Keep those numbers growing! I just can't get my buddy to get one. He carries legally in the car, but like others he is afraid of some "govt list."

Who else is recruiting new CHL holders?
In honor of Thomas Jefferson and the Declaration of Independence, I did a free Virginia class for six people yesterday. :patriot:

Based on the feedback, I'm thinking of offering Virginia classes on a regular basis. My costs are less, so I can offer the VA class for less than the TX class, and the state fees are less too. That could make VA an attractive option for some people. More legally armed citizens is a good thing in my book, no matter who issues their 2A license.

Topic author
texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

flechero wrote:I got my wife and all of our bible study group to get theirs! That's 14!. Working on a few more friends as well.

texanjoker wrote: but like others he is afraid of some "govt list."
:iagree:

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

Well, they had all been thinking about it anyway, but after I got mine, I did convince two of my daughters, both of their husbands, and my wife to get their CHLs. One daughter and her husband already have platic on the way, my wife and the other daughter and SiL take their classes next month.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Lucky wrote: Based on the feedback, I'm thinking of offering Virginia classes on a regular basis. My costs are less, so I can offer the VA class for less than the TX class, and the state fees are less too. That could make VA an attractive option for some people. More legally armed citizens is a good thing in my book, no matter who issues their 2A license.
Perhaps, but that VA CHL doesn't mean diddly when you buy a gun in Texas.

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

Yeah but that VA license doesn't show up on the Texas Department of Pubic Searches computers.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

gringo pistolero wrote:Yeah but that VA license doesn't show up on the Texas Department of Pubic Searches computers.
That kind of makes it a bad thing, actually. I mean, if the reason is, "I do'nt want it in a computer," well, it's in VA's computer, so it's SOMEWHERE. If you're reasoning is "I don't want people to know I'm a gun owner," then 1) never get a CHL and 2) only buy guns privately. There's really no grey area in this. However, there are several advantages to holding a Texas CHL in the state of Texas. Bypassing the Federal NICS check when making a new gun purchase is actually a big one.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”