Drinking While Carrying

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

srothstein
Posts in topic: 3

Post by srothstein »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:But neither of you has directly stated one way or the other whether a person with a normal response to alcohol is breaking the law if they are carrying after having one glass of wine or one beer. So say you get rear ended like I did, and you're carrying, and you declare it as you are obligated to. You are acting perfectly normal. No bloodshot eyes. No slurred speech. Your clothing isn't "messed" or messed up. You walk and talk normally. You do not exhibit wild mood swings. You are calm, lucid and collected, and you are not breaching the peace.
Sorry, I thought by defining intoxicated I was answering the question. A person who has a normal reaction to alcohol and has one regular size drink, is not going to be intoxicated. If he does not display at least three of the four indicators I mentioned, he is not usually giving the officer probable cause to believe he is intoxicated.

So, if you would feel safe driving a car without worrying about a DWI charge, you can carry your pistol. Well, don't go by how you feel because alcohol will affect your judgment, but you know what I meant.

Do you think a person of that description is intoxicated? Have you ever heard of anyone like that getting charged and convicted of carrying while intoxicated? Have you ever known a cop to have a drink (one drink) while carrying? Have you ever known of a cop who was charged and convicted of carrying while intoxicated after having one drink?
If there is a crooked cop out there who wants to frame you, he is going to do it. Barring the crooked cop though, if you ever get charged with a PI and are not truly intoxicated, I strongly recommend you go with a "not guilty" plea and do not let anyone release you until you have a preliminary date for your trial. SAPD was famous for having the detention staff just submit the PI paperwork to the judge and the people never did see the judge. Don't just accept that. Demand a court date or a visit with the judge to get it set. Then get to a lawyer as quickly as you can.
Steve Rothstein

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 41

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

srothstein wrote: Sorry, I thought by defining intoxicated I was answering the question. A person who has a normal reaction to alcohol and has one regular size drink, is not going to be intoxicated. If he does not display at least three of the four indicators I mentioned, he is not usually giving the officer probable cause to believe he is intoxicated.

So, if you would feel safe driving a car without worrying about a DWI charge, you can carry your pistol. Well, don't go by how you feel because alcohol will affect your judgment, but you know what I meant.

Thanks. That's what I thought. That's what my original CHL instructor told our class. And I have conducted myself in accordance with that standard ever since I've been carrying (15 years total).
srothstein wrote:If there is a crooked cop out there who wants to frame you, he is going to do it. Barring the crooked cop though, if you ever get charged with a PI and are not truly intoxicated, I strongly recommend you go with a "not guilty" plea and do not let anyone release you until you have a preliminary date for your trial. SAPD was famous for having the detention staff just submit the PI paperwork to the judge and the people never did see the judge. Don't just accept that. Demand a court date or a visit with the judge to get it set. Then get to a lawyer as quickly as you can.
There's something there that I am not getting. If I plead "not guilty" to a trumped up PI rap, and the court never sets a trial date, how does that make a problem for me? Is it just because the charge is "hanging" over me unresolved (so if I am asked, are you currently accused of a crime... I have to answer "yes")?

And how do I "demand" a court date? Suppose they tell me to get lost?

I fully agree with the part about getting a lawyer.

You might appreciate this one. A long time ago, I got stopped for having no inspection sticker. The fact was that I had just had my windshield replaced the day before, and had not gotten my car re-inspected yet. (The law in RI gave me 5 days or something like that.) I explained this to the state cop who stopped me, and even offered to show him the receipt for the windshield work. He refused to look at it, and said if I thought I was not guilty I should contest the ticket in court.

So I mailed in a "not guilty" plea and waited. And waited. After 6 months of not hearing anything, I called the adjudication division and asked them when my date would come up. (I did this because I didn't want to get whacked with a "failure to appear" if the notice got lost in the mail.) They told me it was coming, and to just wait. A few months later I called again and got the same story. When I would do this, I would write down the date and the (first) name of the person I spoke to.

This went on for THREE YEARS, and finally the date came up. By this time, I had lost the windshield receipt and the paper with the dates and names on it.

So I go to court. And here's all these people getting called up for their cases. And I notice that their offenses all occurred between 6 and 9 or so months prior. I thought, "Why am I the only one who's case is three years old?"

Then it was my turn. The cop and I both approached the bench. He told his story, that he had stopped me and that I had no sticker. I told my story about the windshield and all the phone calls.

The judge asked the cop if he remembered me telling him about the windshield and he said he didn't.

Then the judge says to me something like, "You seem credible. But my problem is that you haven't presented any evidence to justify an aquittal." And I said, "Your Honor, I had evidence at one time, but it's been over three years since the date of the alleged offense. Redecorating, Spring Cleaning, kids, stuff like that. The house gets turned upside down. People lose things in three years."

And he says, "You're just not giving me anything to go on."

At that point, I sensed he was trying to give me a hint of some sort. Then I remembered reading about a BG who had beaten a felony rap where he had been convicted, but the state supreme court overturned on the grounds that he was denied his right to a speedy trial.

So I tried a 'Hail Mary' pass and said, "Your Honor, I move that this case be dismissed on the grounds that I have been denied my right to a speedy trial, and that this denial of my right has resulted in crucial exculpatory evidence being lost."

The judge gave me a kind of funny look, banged his gavel once and said, "I rule this case dismissed on the grounds that the defendant was denied his constitutional right to a speedy trial. You are free to go."

Sure, I could have just paid the fine (around $25 at the time), gotten a new sticker and been done with it.

But when I believe that I am in the right, I fight.

I felt like a million bucks walking out of there. :lol:
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

srothstein
Posts in topic: 3

Post by srothstein »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:
There's something there that I am not getting. If I plead "not guilty" to a trumped up PI rap, and the court never sets a trial date, how does that make a problem for me? Is it just because the charge is "hanging" over me unresolved (so if I am asked, are you currently accused of a crime... I have to answer "yes")?

And how do I "demand" a court date? Suppose they tell me to get lost?
I think after this answer, we had better let this drop or go to private messages so the thread stays on its topic. Basically, the problem if they do not give you a court date is not the case hanging, but that they probably did something to it right there. You want to make sure they either found you not guilty (which is possible) or set a trial. If they say anything about it other than that, ask for a copy of the paperwork so you can go to your lawyer. If they still refuse, leave and get to a lawyer ASAP. He will know how to get the rest of the paperwork you need and find the true status of the case.

And I love the story on the no inspection ticket. I really hated it when we did away with the firm time limits in our speedy trial law in Texas. It can give the prosecution more time to prepare, but it seems wrong to me still.
Steve Rothstein

phddan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by phddan »

"A man has got to know his limits." (Clint Eastwood ???)

You bet I'll have a Shiner on tap while enjoying a meal. Or have a drink at a buddies house. Any more than one though, and the wife drives and gets my guns, allthough that rarely happens.

Dan

piro

Post by piro »

I am a tee totaler, more so became that way from carrying, it helps me to stay sober.

I only really drink if its free and I am not carrying :D so mostly at home.

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

I carry for self defense, so I try to avoid anything that would slow down my situational awareness and reaction time…after all, my reaction time ain’t all that great anymore :shock:

That also applies to things like cough medicine, pain killers, etc. They can all slow you down…

But, I don’t have any problem with the idea of me carrying with a bad cold and taking cough medicine, so I wouldn’t have a problem with carrying after 1 or 2 beers. I just choose not to since the beer is truly voluntary. I’m not worried about getting stopped for intoxication since I doubt that would happen after 1 or 2 beers…it’s the reduction in reaction speed that’s important to me.

Now I don’t care if other folks have a few drinks and carry, or cough medicine, or any other legal substance as long as they are not mentally impaired, I just choose not to.

135boomer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 135boomer »

I would not be comfortable advising a LEO that I have a CHL and pistol with beer on my breath.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

135boomer wrote:I would not be comfortable advising a LEO that I have a CHL and pistol with beer on my breath.
Is it because you think that you are doing something wrong by carrying after having a beer?

135boomer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 135boomer »

No. The problem is that I don't know what he/she thinks. There are too many judgment calls an officer can make. A person does not have to be at or above .08 to be impared.

Let me add that I'm not saying I would never have a beer while carrying. There are so many variables. I just wouldn't make a habit of it.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

135boomer wrote:No. The problem is that I don't know what he/she thinks. There are too many judgment calls an officer can make. A person does not have to be at or above .08 to be impared.
That's the difference between you and me then. If I believe I am doing nothing wrong, I don't care what he/she thinks.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 14

Post by txinvestigator »

135boomer wrote:No. The problem is that I don't know what he/she thinks. There are too many judgment calls an officer can make. A person does not have to be at or above .08 to be impared.
That's the difference between you and me then. If I believe I am doing nothing wrong, I don't care what he/she thinks.
You should, as it is subjective. I arrested many people who didn't "believe" they had done anyting wrong.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by KBCraig »

txinvestigator wrote:
frankie_the_yankee wrote:If I believe I am doing nothing wrong, I don't care what he/she thinks.
You should, as it is subjective. I arrested many people who didn't "believe" they had done anyting wrong.
That's one of the problems with the PI law: right or wrong, legally speaking, should never be subjective.

Kevin

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

txinvestigator wrote:
1) Then they did not have "mens rea".
2) Maybe they should have gone on to hire some really good lawyers and gotten justice for themselves.
3) Maybe their beliefs were completely at odds with the facts, in which case you were perfectly justified in arresting them, and they deserved to be convicted.
4) I'm very confident in the correctness of my beliefs as pertains to the question of right and wrong, especially in this area we are considering here. Those beliefs have stood me well for close to 57 years. I'm guessing they are pretty much in line with the standards of "a reasonable person" and "the law". Otherwise I certainly would have gotten myself into a boatload of trouble by now, on any number of occassions.

So, if I think I'm OK, I am.

If I think you're OK, you are.

If I'm not sure, then I seek out the best advice I can find.

ForbidInjustice
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ForbidInjustice »

Only reading the first few posts of this thread, here's how I respond to the original issue.

I'm torn. I carry just about all the time, but if I go out to a restaurant, even if I leave my firearm in the car, technically, I cannot go inside and have a beer. It is illegal to carry while intoxicated, and one beer constitutes intoxication. Even with my firearm separated from the ammunition in the car, I am still considered carrying in Texas, granted I am not 'traveling'.

Would I get pulled over? Probably not. Would I consent to the officer's search of my vehicle? No, I wouldn't [and he wouldn't have probable cause]. The only legal fix is going out with a person who was also a CHL holder, and they remain sober while I drink. But .. does that make sense? Not really.
- Dre
- Fort Hood, Texas
- http://www.dhs.gov

Where two discourse, if the one's anger rise, the man who lets the contest fall is wise.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

ForbidInjustice wrote: It is illegal to carry while intoxicated, and one beer constitutes intoxication.
Wherever in the world did you get that idea? Can you cite a statute that defines intoxication this way? Personally, I've never seen or heard of any such thing.

And please don't bother citing some regulation that specifically applies to airline pilots, commercial truckers, etc. Those wouldn't apply to carrying a handgun unless there was a specific citation of some sort. And there isn't as far as I know.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”