Moved out of state, surrendered DL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ChesterCheetah
Posts in topic: 1

Moved out of state, surrendered DL

Post by ChesterCheetah »

I have googled this and searched various forums, including this one, and have also perused the DPS website, all to no avail.

I will be mailing my paperwork to Austin tomorrow, so in some sense this question is moot. However the curiosity is killing me.

Here's my deal: I had a CHL approximately 10 years ago. I moved to Illinois before it came up for renewal. Not intending to be doing much traveling to TX or other CCW friendly states, I decided to let my license go. I hold a Commercial Drivers License, and when you move out of state with one of those, you are required to physically surrender your old CDL to the new state. Having done this,I assumed my CHL was also surrendered along with it, although it was physically still with my CCW gear.

I have since moved back to the land of liberty and common sense, and have just completed my CHL course. In that course we went over change of address and penalties of neglecting to update the state, of which are suspension and revocation of license.

My question is this: has anyone experienced a situation like this? I didn't think too much about it at the time, I just assumed it would expire along with the DL.

I hope I don't have a suspension or revocation on my CHL that I knew nothing about. If this is the case, what would the ramifications be regarding obtaining a new CHL?

Kaibear19
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Moved out of state, surrendered DL

Post by Kaibear19 »

Chester,

I just moved in Texas from Ohio in October 2012. No repricocity there; haha.. But in my CHL class and after reading the entire Texas Concealed Hand Gun Laws I can tell you this much..
GC §411.181. NOTICE OF CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR NAME. Nothing is mentioned here about a suspension, just that you have 30 days to apply for a renewal; if not done, then you will have to start the whole process over again with the fees.
GC §411.183. EXPIRATION. Your CHL expires on the first birthday after the fourth anniversary of the date of issue. If it was a renewed one already, then its the fifth bithday after the previous's CHL expiration.
GC §411.187. SUSPENSION OF LICENSE. - (2) fails to notify the department of a change of address, name, or status as required by Section 411.181. So on the 31st day after you moved, you CHL is suspended. It will be suspended for an additional 30 days if not corrected. That means you could not leagally concealed carry until your new address was corrected and you had the new CHL. Now if after that second 30day suspension was completed and you still did not fix you license address; then your CHL will be suspended for no less than 1 yr and no mores that 3 yrs.

So... If you moved out of Texas 10 yrs ago, then you suspension is up. Alll you will need to do is complete the CHL course like you just did and complete all the CHL forms for a new License as found on the DPS website. In short, the CHL does expire and yours was suspended due to no notification for Change of Address. However, since more than 3 years and 61 days has passed, then you can lawfully re-apply.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”