Post Office Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
trlawles
Posts in topic: 3

Post Office Carry

Post by trlawles »

Have read a few threads on Post Office Carry with a CHL, I still haven't got a clear answer that I understand.

Is it Legal or Not Legal to carry concealed if you have a CHL inside the Post Office ?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Post Office Carry

Post by mojo84 »

Not legal. Don't do it.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

goose

Post by goose »

mojo84 wrote:Not legal. Don't do it.
:iagree:
Inside a Kroger, gift shop, etc = Legal.
Going to a stand alone PO = Not legal. Don't do it.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

trlawles wrote:Have read a few threads on Post Office Carry with a CHL, I still haven't got a clear answer that I understand.

Is it Legal or Not Legal to carry concealed if you have a CHL inside the Post Office ?
No, federal law prohibits it
18 USC § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

My local ACE hardware has a PO inside.
When I need to go to the PO, I go to ACE and can carry legally.

DO NOT carry at USPS-owned offices.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

RoyGBiv wrote:My local ACE hardware has a PO inside.

That would be a Contract Postal Unit (CPU)
http://about.usps.com/suppliers/becomin ... l-unit.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And good point, as long as you do not enter the controlled area,,,(not that they would let you)
it should all be good.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

E.Marquez wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:My local ACE hardware has a PO inside.

That would be a Contract Postal Unit (CPU)
http://about.usps.com/suppliers/becomin ... l-unit.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And good point, as long as you do not enter the controlled area,,,(not that they would let you)
it should all be good.
Per the link above:
What is a Contract Postal Unit?

A Contract Postal Unit (CPU) is a supplier-owned or supplier-leased site operated by the supplier, under contract to the Postal Service™ to provide postal services to the public at Postal prices.
Per 18 USC § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
So, in the case of a CPU, the property is not owned or leased by the federal government and they don't have federal employees working there regularly performing their duties, so normal state statutes, like 30.06 written or verbal notice, would apply to restricting carry at those locations. The 'controlled area' would not be off limits either.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
trlawles

Post by trlawles »

Thanks for the replies, looks pretty straight forward " Do not carry in a Post Office "

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

trlawles wrote:Thanks for the replies, looks pretty straight forward " Do not carry in a Post Office "
"Do not carry in a federally owned building" is a more correct statement.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
trlawles

Post by trlawles »

I stand Corrected " A Federally Owned Building " Thank You ..

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Keith B wrote:
trlawles wrote:Thanks for the replies, looks pretty straight forward " Do not carry in a Post Office "
"Do not carry in a federally owned building" is a more correct statement.
:iagree: But you should also consider US Army Corps of Engineers property which does not need to include a building. Many (most?) of the Texas lakes are under USACOE control. We have an RV and wish that we could stop at some of the lake campgrounds but they are off limits to us unless we leave our guns at home - something that I have no intention of doing.

The interesting paradox is that the National Parks - minus the buildings - are not off limits. So I can carry in Yellowstone but not around Lake Grapevine.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

carrydave

Post by carrydave »

we were taught that you cant carry "ON FEDERAL PROPERTY"

so unlike schools and hospitals we were instructed this INCLUDES the parking lot.

when i go to the post office i park im the autozone lot next door.

i have noticed several things i learned in chl class were hotly disputed here on the forum. I am greatful for any input on this as well.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Those that dispute the No Carry at USPS will some day wind up being the test case.
To quote a good friend lawyer. Those who live on the cutting edge of law ususally bleed to death financially.

I dont.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

carrydave wrote:we were taught that you cant carry "ON FEDERAL PROPERTY"

so unlike schools and hospitals we were instructed this INCLUDES the parking lot.

when i go to the post office i park im the autozone lot next door.

i have noticed several things i learned in chl class were hotly disputed here on the forum. I am greatful for any input on this as well.
So, when you need to mail something and you want to drive through the property and drop the mail in one of those boxes they put out close to the road, do you disarm before entering?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

longtooth wrote:Those that dispute the No Carry at USPS will some day wind up being the test case.
To quote a good friend lawyer. Those who live on the cutting edge of law ususally bleed to death financially.

I dont.
I was always under the impression (correct or incorrect) that the parking lot of a USPS was off limits as well.
As I am not a lawyer, nor versed in leaglieze as a layman....
Im not sure what the "meaning" or implications are of the part in red..
As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
I ASSUMED.... as the parking lot is OWNED by the federal government, and the parking lot is part of the building property,,, :headscratch :headscratch :headscratch :headscratch

But I do not know....

As always, Bad guys do not read signs or follow laws.
Good guys do and do not carry.
No Federal Employee (of which i am one) is safer because of this insane law.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”