Who has the say about carrying a gun in a School in Texas?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Hrivera1
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Who has the say about carrying a gun in a School in Texa

Post by Hrivera1 »

That looks better. Yeah at the end of the day I might just do that and get a lawyer to check it out. Thanks for the help guys.

JJVP
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JJVP »

Hrivera1 wrote:That looks better. Yeah at the end of the day I might just do that and get a lawyer to check it out. Thanks for the help guys.
Make sure you get a lawyer who actually knows something about CHL laws. Charles comes to mind.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

I would recommend doing it slightly differently. The recommended method works well for specific people, but the law also allows it to be by regulation. EVERY business should have a good policy manual. All you need to add is a weapons policy that states that all employees and customers who are authorized by the state of Texas to carry weapons may do so in accordance with the law.

I am not sure if you truly are a school or not. One of the on-going debates in this forum has been exactly what is a school under this law. We have discussed things like real estate schools, vocational schools, etc. I don't think anyone considered or remembered that all driving schools must be certified by the TEA. Since several had mentioned TEA or private school certification (sorry I don't remember the office name) before, this could seriously affect how we define schools.

Of course, if HB 3218 passes, this kind of becomes a moot point. So let's all support that.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
Hrivera1
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Hrivera1 »

srothstein wrote:I would recommend doing it slightly differently. The recommended method works well for specific people, but the law also allows it to be by regulation. EVERY business should have a good policy manual. All you need to add is a weapons policy that states that all employees and customers who are authorized by the state of Texas to carry weapons may do so in accordance with the law.

I am not sure if you truly are a school or not. One of the on-going debates in this forum has been exactly what is a school under this law. We have discussed things like real estate schools, vocational schools, etc. I don't think anyone considered or remembered that all driving schools must be certified by the TEA. Since several had mentioned TEA or private school certification (sorry I don't remember the office name) before, this could seriously affect how we define schools.

Of course, if HB 3218 passes, this kind of becomes a moot point. So let's all support that.
Yeah as far as we know we are classified as a private school and TEA is our big brother wacthing us. TEA has the right to shut us down if we are not following there procedures. I know that they are some small districts in texas that allow teachers to carry on their campuses, so that's where this question came from, as for a employee manual that is not a bad idea but as of now it is strictly a family business which includes my Father, mother, my wife, brother and myself. I think as soon as we hire any other employees we will consider a handbook.

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RottenApple »

Hrivera1 wrote:Yeah as far as we know we are classified as a private school and TEA is our big brother wacthing us. TEA has the right to shut us down if we are not following there procedures. I know that they are some small districts in texas that allow teachers to carry on their campuses, so that's where this question came from, as for a employee manual that is not a bad idea but as of now it is strictly a family business which includes my Father, mother, my wife, brother and myself. I think as soon as we hire any other employees we will consider a handbook.
I'm a co-owner of one company and sole proprietor of another. Neither company has any employees other than myself. Yet I created an employee handbook for both companies. They aren't hard to make and you'll already have them for when you do hire non-family employees. Of course, as has been stated several times, run it past a lawyer to make sure there are no issues.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

RottenApple wrote:
Hrivera1 wrote:Yeah as far as we know we are classified as a private school and TEA is our big brother wacthing us. TEA has the right to shut us down if we are not following there procedures. I know that they are some small districts in texas that allow teachers to carry on their campuses, so that's where this question came from, as for a employee manual that is not a bad idea but as of now it is strictly a family business which includes my Father, mother, my wife, brother and myself. I think as soon as we hire any other employees we will consider a handbook.
I'm a co-owner of one company and sole proprietor of another. Neither company has any employees other than myself. Yet I created an employee handbook for both companies. They aren't hard to make and you'll already have them for when you do hire non-family employees. Of course, as has been stated several times, run it past a lawyer to make sure there are no issues.

And it would have the advantage of making you carry legal right now, even for just the family.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”