"You carry a GUN?!"

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Ed4032
Posts in topic: 1

Re: "You carry a GUN?!"

Post by Ed4032 »

Just ask them, "You wear a seatbelt?" They must be planning on having a car accident. Don't get in the car with them if they wear a seatbelt.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Guns are freaky to the uninitiated. Up until about a year ago, I had a LOT of misconceptions. I see the light now. Forgive them.

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 3

Post by johncanfield »

Several months ago a FedEx delivery lady noticed my M&P on my right hip (I always open carry on our small ranch) and said "what chew carryin a gun fer? I replied "for snakes." I didn't elaborate on exactly what kind of snakes I was prepared for :fire .
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Purplehood »

johncanfield wrote:Several months ago a FedEx delivery lady noticed my M&P on my right hip (I always open carry on our small ranch) and said "what chew carryin a gun fer? I replied "for snakes." I didn't elaborate on exactly what kind of snakes I was prepared for :fire .
With a country-accent like that, you'd think she wouldn't have to ask!
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

gdanaher
Banned

Post by gdanaher »

I don't particularly mind if frends know that I am licensed and usually carry. I don't advertise it but frequently, and lately, quite frequently, the discussion does not involve any negative comments but rather things like how expensive it might be, what kind of gun to buy and where to take the class......it seems these days that every time a bad event occurs, it elicits more interest in self protection.

A-R

Post by A-R »

77346 wrote:hair stylist
Please relinquish your man card now, sir. :rules:

:biggrinjester:

Post by 77346 »

A-R wrote:
77346 wrote:hair stylist
Please relinquish your man card now, sir. :rules:

:biggrinjester:
"rlol" she gives me 'the look' when I call her my barber...

well, not funny anymore... I crossed the line with my post, which was rightfully deleted :oops:
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

Grillmark55

Post by Grillmark55 »

Only when I leave the house. (see signature line below :thewave )
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

gdanaher wrote:I don't particularly mind if frends know that I am licensed and usually carry. I don't advertise it but frequently, and lately, quite frequently, the discussion does not involve any negative comments but rather things like how expensive it might be, what kind of gun to buy and where to take the class......it seems these days that every time a bad event occurs, it elicits more interest in self protection.
Same experience here. Over the last two months I've had a couple people from Church asking me about CHLs and guns in general. They first ask my father in law who is an assistant chief of police (I usually call him assistant to the chief :biggrinjester: ) but he just directs them my way instead (despite years in law enforcement he's pretty lax about guns, says he even forgets to bring his to work sometimes, I guess thats one of the hazards of a desk job). Hopefully i've talked a couple more people into it. I've at least educated a couple people who didn't know about the MPA act, which was a good first step.

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Dragonfighter »

Purplehood wrote:"I got into the habit in Afghanistan". That usually shuts them up.
That's pure brilliance.

Added in Edit: I must give credit to this board for one response I've given when asked, "Do you think you NEED a gun?!" To which I say, "No. If I felt I was going to need it, I'd stay home."
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

I used to live in New York. If the subject of firearms came up (For instance, asking for a recomendation on a place to shoot.) I would invariably get the response:
"You have a gun!? Are you going to shoot me?" Usually with the person backing up several paces.
My reply was something along the lines of "Only if you kick in my door after dark." or "Depends, are you going to attack me?"

Now that I live in Texas the exchange is more like: "You don't have a gun?! Well, c'mon let's get you one!"

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 3

Post by johncanfield »

Purplehood wrote:
johncanfield wrote:Several months ago a FedEx delivery lady noticed my M&P on my right hip (I always open carry on our small ranch) and said "what chew carryin a gun fer? I replied "for snakes." I didn't elaborate on exactly what kind of snakes I was prepared for :fire .
With a country-accent like that, you'd think she wouldn't have to ask!
The FedEx people that deliver around here on Saturdays are out of Austin - need I say more "rlol"
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

mlawler

Post by mlawler »

"It's required for Texas citizenship! Where's yours?"

SF18C

Post by SF18C »

You have friends that don't carry a gun? :confused5

Sounds like you need to get better friends! "rlol"
Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”