Online CHL application & SSN requirement

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 3

Online CHL application & SSN requirement

Post by RHenriksen »

I'm helping my girlfriend apply for her CHL. She's an international student, here on an F1 VISA. My understanding is that this wouldn't prevent her from getting a Texas CHL.

However... the DPS online application form requires a SSN before proceeding through the online app process. She doesn't have a SSN. I tried calling the DPS help line, but the CHL department isn't taking phone calls. I've submitted an online inquiry, but thought I'd also see if anyone here knows what to do in this situation.

TIA,

RNH
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Online CHL application & SSN requirement

Post by Keith B »

RHenriksen wrote:I'm helping my girlfriend apply for her CHL. She's an international student, here on an F1 VISA. My understanding is that this wouldn't prevent her from getting a Texas CHL.

However... the DPS online application form requires a SSN before proceeding through the online app process. She doesn't have a SSN. I tried calling the DPS help line, but the CHL department isn't taking phone calls. I've submitted an online inquiry, but thought I'd also see if anyone here knows what to do in this situation.

TIA,

RNH
Is she a Texas resident? If only student temporary status she may not be qualified unless she is able to purchase a handgun under the USC code . Need to check http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetFo ... CHL-40.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for sure.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

We looked into this, and in order to be able to legally purchase a firearm, she has to have a Texas hunting license. We did secure this hunting license. I'd received assurances both from DPS and people on this board who've gone down this path before than she's eligible for a CHL; just don't know how to handle this SSN issue.
Keith B wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:I'm helping my girlfriend apply for her CHL. She's an international student, here on an F1 VISA. My understanding is that this wouldn't prevent her from getting a Texas CHL.

TIA,

RNH
Is she a Texas resident? If only student temporary status she may not be qualified unless she is able to purchase a handgun under the USC code . Need to check http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetFo ... CHL-40.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for sure.

flechero

Post by flechero »

RHenriksen wrote:We looked into this, and in order to be able to legally purchase a firearm, she has to have a Texas hunting license. We did secure this hunting license.
I've seen this a few times and it makes NO sense whatsoever.... to get a chl and buy a carry pistol that you wouldn't hunt with, you need a hunting license. :banghead:

Who makes this stuff up?

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

flechero wrote:I've seen this a few times and it makes NO sense whatsoever.... to get a chl and buy a carry pistol that you wouldn't hunt with, you need a hunting license. :banghead:

Who makes this stuff up?
Congress. Need I say more?
Steve Rothstein

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

Keep trying to call as they are taking calls. You have to try several times to be able to get through and then on hold for about 10 minutes. Good luck!
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

baraco01

Post by baraco01 »

I guess the online application requires the SSN. Just mail the application directly to DPS. As for the legality of alien under a non-immigrant visa, a valid hunting license is required.

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

Let me get this straight. If a US citizen won't give his SSN to a store employee, the clerk will refuse to sell the citizen a hunting licence. But some foreigner can waltz in and buy a license without a SSN. Does anyone else think there is something wrong with that double standard being looser for foreigners?

Topic author
RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Okay, after a lengthy hold, I did get through to a human at the Texas DPS office. He directed me to go to this page, and print/fill out/mail the following forms:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/forms/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CHL-6.pdf
CHL-78a.pdf
CHL-78b.pdf
CHL-78c.pdf
CHL-85.pdf
CHL-86.pdf

In addition, we'll include:

Student VISA
federal I-94 form
Hunting license

Let's see how it goes!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

bayouhazard's question is quite interesting.

Anyone know the answer?

SSN's are misused - it's become our national identity number having nothing to do with Social Security.

In my own small way, I've rebelled against giving it out for any number of routine requests/demands that have nothing to do with Social Security.

Last year, it was at a Chiropractor's office. It was my first visit. I left the SSN off the new patient info paper work. It's absence was noticed and demanded. I pleasantly inquired as to it's necessity. I received a blank stare. I then pleasantly suggested if it was going to be an issue, I'd find a Chiropractor that didn't insist on having it. The response: O.K. no problem, we don't need it.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Abraham wrote:bayouhazard's question is quite interesting.

Anyone know the answer?

SSN's are misused - it's become our national identity number having nothing to do with Social Security.

In my own small way, I've rebelled against giving it out for any number of routine requests/demands that have nothing to do with Social Security.

Last year, it was at a Chiropractor's office. It was my first visit. I left the SSN off the new patient info paper work. It's absence was noticed and demanded. I pleasantly inquired as to it's necessity. I received a blank stare. I then pleasantly suggested if it was going to be an issue, I'd find a Chiropractor that didn't insist on having it. The response: O.K. no problem, we don't need it.
When I moved to Texas one of the first things I did was motor down to the DPS office to obtain a Texas Driver's License. And almost got ejected/arrested, for failing to provide a SS card to verify that I was indeed Andrew! Never mind that the card was 1800 miles away in safe, the State of Texas was not compliant in their request for the card. http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers ... ity-number" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was told it was part of the "Dead Beat Dad" legislation that had recently been passed, but there was no official posting or information available as required by law for use of a SSAN. I spent 3 hours at the SS admin. building getting a letter that attested to my having a SS account with the number 53X-XX-XXXX. The nice lady at SS also provided me with a copy of the "Privacy Act" and SSA policy on use of SSAN for identification. When I presented my documents to the DPS trooper in charge, he smiled asked if he could copy them, and approved my application form that the clerk had rejected.
Next time you're at the Drivers License office look on the wall for the framed statement decribing the legislation requiring your SSAN and how it's used. I like to think that I may have been in some way responsible for it being there.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”