How Do We Get Texas Legislators to Allow Carry at Schools?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Braden
Posts in topic: 3

How Do We Get Texas Legislators to Allow Carry at Schools?

Post by Braden »

Maybe this has been discussed, and if so then I apologize, but what does it take to get a bill going to lift the ban on carrying in schools? Maybe it would pass and maybe it wouldn't, but I'd sure like to see someone at least put it out on the table.
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Greybeard »

Amen, bro. The critters in Moscow on The Colorado might just be ready to consider, but I suspect a real stretch this session.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

1TallTXn

Post by 1TallTXn »

I would like to see it lifted (I work on a higher ed campus) but I think its going to be an up-hill battle as most people think that more guns on campus is only going to make this problem occur more.

I know one pro-CCW campus police officer that is against the idea of allowing carry on campus because the "irresponsibility" of students.
I do see the point he is making, but if the student was responsible enough to go obtain a CCW permit, then I don't think its really going to be a problem.
Taurus PT-111MP
Springfield XD-9 Service

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

write

Post by Rex B »

My rep is Vicki Truitt, who has co-sponsored several bill in favor of sensible gun laws. I wrote her a note this morning asking her to do what she can to keep universities from banning licensed carry by adults.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

anygunanywhere

Re: write

Post by anygunanywhere »

Rex B wrote:sensible gun laws
:?: :?: :?:

:???: :???: :???:

Sorry, no such thing. Does not exist. The government can not enact sensible legislation on anything.

Wait. Yes they can. Sensible legislation would be to repeal all gun laws, the income tax, and all other oppressivfe legislation.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

piro

Post by piro »

1TallTXn wrote:I know one pro-CCW campus police officer that is against the idea of allowing carry on campus because the "irresponsibility" of students.
I do see the point he is making, but if the student was responsible enough to go obtain a CCW permit, then I don't think its really going to be a problem.
I have to agree with his stance though I am all far ccw on campus, i see where he is coming from. I am a college student and while a ccw I don't cater well to the idea of seeing some people around campus with the ability to ccw. This is unfair and I am aware of that but my opinion is based on experience in this matter. I have an ex roommate who got his chl because a friend of his did and he does it to show off plus hes real into the college life so that just in my opinion amplifies that officers opinion even more. I am not quick to judge other peoples faults before mine but I am far from the typical college student when compared with my peers and I don't go around publicizing the fact that I have a chl, hell my uncle who got me into shooting 2 years ago doesn't even know.

Some people age up quickly some don't, yet all can have this right if they so choose buts just one of the cons imo that we have to live with.
Last edited by piro on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex B

Ok then

Post by Rex B »

So restrict it to staff and grad students with CHLs.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Roger Howard

Post by Roger Howard »

My personal view is that there should be no places "OFF LIMITS" for CHL'ers.
If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

anygunanywhere

My Sons in College

Post by anygunanywhere »

Both of our sons attended college in Texas. The eldest graduated from Lamar with a masters and the youngest with a bachelors from UT Austin (THE UNIVERSITY for you Aggies).

Both of our sons were raised with firearms, one carries today, one doesn't. Both were responsible enough in college to pack, as were many of their friends whom we know still today.

If you trust your children with firearms when they are young, you teach them, you stress proper firearm safety and handling, and marksmanship, why would you not trust them to pack?

There is no difference in college age individuals packing and adults packing. How many of us saw adults in our CHL class who didn't need to be there because of some reason or the other? We are judging them by our sense of values. Do not take me wrong, as I would trust my life and my loved ones lives with all of you here with few exceptions, just as I hope you would do with me. Just because someone does not meet our standards does not exclude them from their right of self defense.

We teach our children our values, we try to teach others proper firearm handling. Let's allow ourchildren to carry on as we have taught them.

IMHO, if you say that you believe that some students should notr carry because they are not ready just gives those who scream "blood in the streets" more ammo to use against us.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I have a real problem with not being allowed to carry in schools.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

soccerguy59

Re: Ok then

Post by soccerguy59 »

Rex B wrote:So restrict it to staff and grad students with CHLs.
Why this limitation, 18 yr olds join the military, receive training and carry weapons and use them correctly. If they do not use them correctly, they suffer the consequences, additional training until corrected or someone is injured or dies.
3/26/07 Plastic Received.

Will938

Re: Ok then

Post by Will938 »

Rex B wrote:So restrict it to staff and grad students with CHLs.
One of my best friends at A&M is a 26 year old SSgt in the USMC, he's also a Sophomore.

Anyone who qualifies should be allowed to carry.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It's too late to introduce new bills now, but perhaps something else is in the works. :thumbsup:

Chas.

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

I would also suggest to shake up the CHL training too. Maybe I am too stupid, but after the CHL course, I did not learn a thing. No safety training, no explanation of the law - well, he did lead us to read every word in the little booklet called penal code or something. Did the written test with my eyes closed, and did shooting, and boom, here's my CHL.

There are people in my class who brought guns with serious rust on them!!! I bet the only time they ever touched the gun was to renew their CHL.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
Braden
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Braden »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:It's too late to introduce new bills now, but perhaps something else is in the works. :thumbsup:

Chas.
I'd be interested in knowing more about what you mean by that. ;-)
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”