Refer to folks with CHL as Peacekeepers

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
fireball
Posts in topic: 2

Refer to folks with CHL as Peacekeepers

Post by fireball »

I would like to see all folks that hold a Concealed Handgun License refered to as a "Peacekeeper". We help maintain the peace. The name helps generate trust with the public instead of suspicion of lawlessness.
What do you think?

Fireball

txinvestigator

Re: Refer to folks with CHL as Peacekeepers

Post by txinvestigator »

fireball wrote:I would like to see all folks that hold a Concealed Handgun License refered to as a "Peacekeeper". We help maintain the peace. The name helps generate trust with the public instead of suspicion of lawlessness.
What do you think?

Fireball
Interesting and I see where you are coming from. However, I am NOT a peacekeeper. The primary purpose for my CHL is the protection of my family and myself.

I do not intervene in arguments between other people, disturbances, disorderly persons, etc, etc, etc.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

propellerhead
Posts in topic: 1

Post by propellerhead »

A CHL doesn't make me a cop.

Scott Murray

Post by Scott Murray »

I understand that we're not cops, and shouldn't be looking to intervene. I think the point fireball was trying to make was the importance of semantics.

I admit to getting a little steamed reading a Houston Chronicle editorial yesterday that ranted about the VT shootings. It kept repeating the mantra that the only purpose of hand guns was to kill people, and therefore only police and military should be allowed to have them. I felt like asking if the police were like 007, with a "license to kill." Actually we know that they aren't for killing, they're for protection.

I think the next time I hear someone say that, I'll answer that a hand gun isn't a killing machine, it's a tool for "conflict resolution." :smile:

Scott

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

Last edited by ScubaSigGuy on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I'm not really surprised the Houston Comical's position on Monday's incident...So I yawn rather profusely... ;-)

As for the originator of this thread, I'm in the boat with "Txi" on this one...

Priority One: myself and family...

Secondary Priority:

If the situation dictates, and I can reasonably assume deadly force is necessary to stop an attack, or an attack in progress, then yes, that would come into play, but only at that time...The odds of getting involved in something like that are pretty slim anyway...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

No peacekeeper here either. I'm leaving that to the professionals.

I signed up to protect me and mine. If everybody would do that, I think we would all be fine.

Dial 911, is for people who don't want to be bothered with taking care of themselves.

Sorry if I'm a little harsh today, but I've heard just a little too much whining recently(not here).................OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

CHL = Law Abiding Citizen, exercising their rights. The term "peacekeeper" implies an assigned responsibility. No thanks.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

pbandjelly

Post by pbandjelly »

OverEasy wrote:
Dial 911, is for people who don't want to be bothered with taking care of themselves.
it's hard to defibrillate your self.
and you know, for a myriad of other issues that aren't resolved with blam blam blam

Piney

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

I, also, do not think of myself as a "peacekeeper". That implies a responsibility, a duty if you will, that I am not willing to accept. My purpose for obtaining my CHL, carrying, and obtaining training is for the protection of myself and my family.

Perhaps if one wants to create a label, the term "deterrent" would be more accurate.

As I'm sure we all have, I question myself as to what would I do in a situation that could cause me to take action for the safety of those (non-family) around me. I would hope that my wits and training would cause me to react in a manner that would provide 1) for my safety, then 2) take action to stop the threat if possible without violating # 1 !

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Perhaps we should all aspire to be peace-makers (Jesus discussed this in the beattitutes) rather than peace-keepers.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

stroo

Post by stroo »

Along the lines of Venus' comment, I do aspire to be a peacemaker. However I really don't need my CHL for that. My CHL is for protecting my family and me. Contrary to the adage that violence is never the solution, in an evil world, violence is often the only solution to predatory violent behavior.

Geister

Post by Geister »

I'm just a deputy to my own defense.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Scott Murray wrote: I think the next time I hear someone say that, I'll answer that a hand gun isn't a killing machine, it's a tool for "conflict resolution." :smile:

Scott
No, a fireaarm is a tool to defend yourself from a deadly assault, not to resolve conflict.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

stroo

Post by stroo »

As TXI said we need to remember that a gun is a tool, but more importantly that if you don't have a gun, you always have other tools available.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”