Why there is no bill to allow CCW in Texas schools?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
sebis
Posts in topic: 2

Why there is no bill to allow CCW in Texas schools?

Post by sebis »

I think is time to allow CCW in Texas schools, why there was no bill sent to the Texas congress? I think is time we all do something about this.

--Sebis

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Venus Pax »

It hasn't been a priority. I agree with you that it should be.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

TxFire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TxFire »

Because schools are a "Gun free Zone" so you should be safer there than anywhere else you might be. :shock: :grin:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

It should be a priority.

Thane

Post by Thane »

I agree.

It's insane that we expect our children to be safe at any school as things stand, and high time for the government to stop preventing society from defending its future from predators.

"Gun Free Zones"? Don't make me laugh. :evil:

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 6

Post by txinvestigator »

Because your school boards are generally run by left-wing, Democrat gun grabbers. They think a gun in school held by a CHL holder is more dangerous than some lunatic entering campus and murdering 30+ of YOUR children.

There is a provision in the law NOW that with written permission a CHL holder CAN carry.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

GreenGuy

Post by GreenGuy »

It is time. Eliminate all Gun Free Zones!

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

txinvestigator wrote:
There is a provision in the law NOW that with written permission a CHL holder CAN carry.
I don't know of any administrator that would touch that with a ten foot pole.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Venus Pax wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
Agreed.

Does anyone know of any such request at all that has ever been approved? I know I don't.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Venus Pax wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
I agree; therein, lies the problem. Even if carry at schools was NOT prohibited by penal code, every school would just post 30.06.
*CHL Instructor*

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

txinvestigator wrote:
Venus Pax wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
I agree; therein, lies the problem. Even if carry at schools was NOT prohibited by penal code, every school would just post 30.06.
But since most schools are government-owned, wouldn't those 30.06 signs not be legally binding, and improperly posted?

Topic author
sebis

Post by sebis »

txinvestigator wrote:
Venus Pax wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
I would much rather deal with the 30.06 sign on individual basis, I bet a lot of administrators may fail to post the proper signage even if they wanted to.

Maybe we should follow the Utah example.

--Sebis

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

txinvestigator wrote:
Venus Pax wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
Nope. The law passed in 2005 prohibits government agencies from doing that. The only government places that can be posted or are inherently off limits are those expressly listed in the law. In the current law, schools are listed on the list of prohibited places, and there is no need for them to be posted.

If they were REMOVED from the list of prohibited places, it would be UNLAWFUL for any to be posted.

I believe (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am wrong) that 30.06 signs are intended, since 2005 at least, for the use of PRIVATE property owners.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
Venus Pax wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
Nope. The law passed in 2005 prohibits government agencies from doing that. The only government places that can be posted or are inherently off limits are those expressly listed in the law. In the current law, schools are listed on the list of prohibited places, and there is no need for them to be posted.

If they were REMOVED from the list of prohibited places, it would be UNLAWFUL for any to be posted.

I believe (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am wrong) that 30.06 signs are intended, since 2005 at least, for the use of PRIVATE property owners.
You are completely wrong. There is no law prohibiting a government agency frim posting a 30.06 law. There is no penalty or crime if a government entity posts a 30.06.

30.06 simply makes it an exception to the application of 30.06 if the location is a placed owned or leased by a government entity.

The real point is (and one I missed in my previous post) that a 30.06 sign posted at a school could be ignored by a CHL holder.
*CHL Instructor*

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

txinvestigator wrote: You are completely wrong. There is no law prohibiting a government agency frim posting a 30.06 law. There is no penalty or crime if a government entity posts a 30.06.

30.06 simply makes it an exception to the application of 30.06 if the location is a placed owned or leased by a government entity.

The real point is (and one I missed in my previous post) that a 30.06 sign posted at a school could be ignored by a CHL holder.
I guess I didn't phrase my thought precisely. What I meant was that such a sign would not have the force of law for CHL holders, NOT that it would be a crime for a government agency to post it.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”