Have you been disarmed by a LEO?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Have you been disarmed?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:36 am

Yes (please see the first post as to the requested information to respond within forum, Yes without a corresponding forum post will be thrown out)
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 83

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Have you been disarmed by a LEO?

Post by TexasCajun »

I selected No, and although you didn't ask for it here are the pertinent details. I called the cops because one of my neighbors was having a party & a bunch of their young-adult guests were running through my yard. I went out to ask them to stop & one of them got beligerent with me. I called the cops. I presented both DL and CHL when asked for ID by the responding officer (Deer Park PD). Officer asked if I was armed & if the weapon was concealed on my person. I answered in the affirmative to both. He told me to keep my weapon concealed & to keep my hands where he could see them. He didn't ask & I didn't tell where exactly the gun was.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

psijac

Post by psijac »

1: Under what circumstances? (ie traffic stop, you are the complainant, witness in a crime and asked for ID, ect)
i was riding a moutain bike when a cop pulls infront of me. i had sunglasses, a tan camelbak for hydration and my 1911 in a crossbreed super tuck at 4:00. i usually have it at more of a 5:00 position for comfort but decided that morning moving it would give me a better draw.
2: Was the weapon removed from you? or were you allowed to remove it and hand it over to the officer?
i didnt have a helmet on and assumed he was going to give me a mouthful about that. I must have been printing becuase before i even a hello how are you he is to the side of me and yanks my gun out of my holster. He of course starts yell excitably "What's this?" and "Be cool"
3: Did the officer state the reason for disarming you? if so what was it? (safety, serial number check)
he said there was a robbery near by and that was his reason for stopping me. he did not do a serial check.
4: Did the officer at any point say or indicate the disarming was a department rule, policy, recommendation?
he eventually pulled out my wallet and i tolded him i had a CHL. when he saw it i think he was honestly dissapointed. he said, "You are suppose to let me know right away that you have a gun."
5: Where did this happen and what dept?
Houston PD outside the cemetery on Lawndale

He searched my bag. it was empty because i was just using it for hydration. Asked me where is was going and from and what my home address was. He put my gun in my bag in the same condtion he found it loaded mag with round in the chamber. and said i could pick it up when he left. i asked him if the safety was on which he had flicked off. he very politely put the weapon on safe and left.

i am still unsure if he stopped me because i was printing or was honestly on route to investigate a robbery. I feel like crap because someone got close enought to successfully grab my weapon, but fighting a cop over any gun is kinda a bad idea.

am currently reconsidering my holstering option
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 7

Post by E.Marquez »

psijac wrote:
1: Under what circumstances? (ie traffic stop, you are the complainant, witness in a crime and asked for ID, ect)
i was riding a moutain bike when a cop pulls infront of me. i had sunglasses, a tan camelbak for hydration and my 1911 in a crossbreed super tuck at 4:00. i usually have it at more of a 5:00 position for comfort but decided that morning moving it would give me a better draw.
2: Was the weapon removed from you? or were you allowed to remove it and hand it over to the officer?
i didnt have a helmet on and assumed he was going to give me a mouthful about that. I must have been printing becuase before i even a hello how are you he is to the side of me and yanks my gun out of my holster. He of course starts yell excitably "What's this?" and "Be cool"
3: Did the officer state the reason for disarming you? if so what was it? (safety, serial number check)
he said there was a robbery near by and that was his reason for stopping me. he did not do a serial check.
4: Did the officer at any point say or indicate the disarming was a department rule, policy, recommendation?
he eventually pulled out my wallet and i tolded him i had a CHL. when he saw it i think he was honestly dissapointed. he said, "You are suppose to let me know right away that you have a gun."
5: Where did this happen and what dept?
Houston PD outside the cemetery on Lawndale

He searched my bag. it was empty because i was just using it for hydration. Asked me where is was going and from and what my home address was. He put my gun in my bag in the same condtion he found it loaded mag with round in the chamber. and said i could pick it up when he left. i asked him if the safety was on which he had flicked off. he very politely put the weapon on safe and left.

i am still unsure if he stopped me because i was printing or was honestly on route to investigate a robbery. I feel like crap because someone got close enought to successfully grab my weapon, but fighting a cop over any gun is kinda a bad idea.

am currently reconsidering my holstering option
Thanks for teh response..

In your case, I do not think it falls in the data group of being disarmed for the types of issues we are discussing.. Sounds more like you were disarmed as a possible robbery suspect or MAG.. Something a reasonable person would expect.

Not a CHL'er who was stopped for an unrelated, non violent crime and disarmed "Just because" or for the general catch all "Safety" .. nor were you disarmed for the purpose of running the guns numbers.

If I got any of that wrong, please comment further.

Thanks
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

I just took a renewal class and out of 24 people 4 said they have been disarmed. Not me though.

Edit: I also live in the number 1 chl zip code in Texas. So I don't know if that effects us getting disarmed more or not.

jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

Only been pulled over once in the 4 years I have been licensed. I was on my motorcycle and was speeding home going 15 over, north on the N. Dallas Tollway by DPS. Had my license, CHL and ins ready. XD9 was in my backpack. Gave me my ticket and let me go. It was in 2008 when I first got my CHL also.
-jchan

Happily Ever After

Post by Happily Ever After »

psijac wrote:i didnt have a helmet on and assumed he was going to give me a mouthful about that. I must have been printing becuase before i even a hello how are you he is to the side of me and yanks my gun out of my holster.
psijac wrote:he eventually pulled out my wallet and i tolded him i had a CHL. when he saw it i think he was honestly dissapointed. he said, "You are suppose to let me know right away that you have a gun."
It doesn't sound like he gave you a chance to tell him.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

No... And for some reason, my iPad won't let me vote.

whistler

Post by whistler »

I have had opportunity to speak to local law men three times since I got my CHL. Two times it was my fault, and the policemen were kind, considerate and did not disarm me. I will say that one of those times, the officers took great care to have cover, just in case I went rogue for getting a seat belt ticket, but they did not disarm me, and were polite. I want to state that in both cases, I received a warning. Thanks guys.

The time I was disarmed, I was driving my son back up to the Houston International Airport, and one of the maintenance crew hit a rock with a trimmer, which broke my side window. I went back to complain after dropping off my son - nicely I might add, and request that the city pay for the broken window. The crew called the crew supervisors, who called the city police to make a report.

When the officer arrived, and requested identification, I produced my DL and CHL, as required. The officer asked if I was carrying and disarmed me - why I do not know. He kept me waiting for twenty minutes while he ran my license, checking for any warrants, and the car, to see if it was stolen. He eventually came back to me and handed me back the weapon, and papers, saying "hurry up and conceal that."

It turned out to be a big waste of time, as the city would not take responsibility, and I had to pay for the window, lose the time, and be checked out by the local police for driving to the airport.

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

Yes - 1st Time - Irving PD, Traffic Stop, Daylight -SH114 East Bound just past the airport.

I acknowledged he was behind me and proceeded until I found a safe place to pull over. I was driving a neighbor's vehicle without my department stickers and he never asked who my employer was.
When I Presented my CHL, he asked where it was. After I told him he had me step out of the truck.
He said he was going to disarm me for "his safety". This was a young LEO and displayed characteristics of being new to patrol.
He had me place hands on the tail gate and removed the weapon from the holster, removed the magazine, cleared the weapon and placed all in a thigh pocket on his pants.
When he finished with the citation he placed the weapon, magazine and cleared round on the passenger seat and returned to the cruiser and never looked back even as I was already reloading.

Interesting (to me) Factors:
  • Young officer, seemingly new to patrol.
    Was a basic pickup truck with no modifications, standard mufflers etc. It was red.
    I am an older, clean cut Caucasian male and carry an FD ident and badge.
    I do not get nervous when stopped so no agitation would have been displayed.
    It was broad daylight and our exchange was polite and professional. So I wonder why he was concerned for "his safety" or if it was just a catchall so that he could exercise that authority.
    No mention of department policy and obviously no check of S/N.
    No concern for my reloading while he was returning to his vehicle.
I probably would have been upset and/or complained had he been anything but polite and professional. I am still a little disconcerted that this officer felt the "need" to disarm a mature and well behaved CHL holder in broad daylight.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

In the years since I got my CHL, I've received 3 performance awards from various agencies. Once, I was disarmed.

Routine highway traffic stop. Going 10 over. The area was heavily patrolled, because the speed kept going from 55 to 65 and back. They obviously knew they'd catch people with their cruise control on... like me. The guy was able to point to the 55 sign behind me and I could see the next 65 sign ahead. That's how often it was switching. I'll never spend a dime in that county again. But I digress. I was alone in the vehicle, broad daylight. Well maintained vehicle, and I'm a clean cut professional, other than having a goatee. I was clearly not intoxicated or driving erratically. It was honestly the first time in my life I was thinking, "What the heck am I getting lit up for?"

My weapon was in a versipack messenger bag. The officer had me hand him the bag.

He stated it was "for his safety."

No

5: Where did this happen and what department?
It happened on 175 between Athens and Jackson. I don't recall further details.

The officer did say, "Do you mind if I disarm you for my safety?" So I suppose that since I didn't really know my rights at the time, I just went along with it, but it did anger me. Now, I'd ask if he had a legal reason to disarm me, since he was asking instead of giving me an order.

I will further note that the urban legend of "being a CHL carrier says you're a good guy and you probably won't even get a ticket" has been proven false 100% of the time in my experience. I don't find a problem with this... I did the speeding, I understand the ticket is a risk... I'm just saying that I got no slack in any stop.

Gameover

Post by Gameover »

Dont know if this a Texas only thing but I was pulled over back in Phoenix(2yrs ago) and disarmed. Just got off work driving home down a local street. He lit me up and I pulled over. As soon as he walked up I told him that I was carring with my hands on the wheel. He asked where it was I replied it was on my side(open carry). He asked me to step out and removed the gun from my hip saying" it was for his saftey". He unloaded it(took my dl, insure) and took it to his car with him(dont know if he did a check or not). He came back told me I was good to go and he was going to put the gun in the back seat and I could reload it when he left. I asked why I was pulled over in the first place and he told me my plates on the car aren't highway approved( I have no idea what that means and have had the same plates for 3yrs prior and wasn't on the highway) I asked what that ment and he said he wasn't sure but thats what it came up as when he ran the plate#. He then left and I loaded back up and was back on my way(waste of 20min :totap:). Pretty sure he had no reason to pull me over and was just fishing but whatever I've got nothing to hide.
Question everything

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Yes, as posted here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=39738 The alleged offense was failure to stop at a stop sign, which was a surprise to both me and my passenger. The policeman said he wanted to check my weapons to see if they were stolen. No mention of department policy. In identifying the location (shoulder holster, and backup in front pocket, I more or less suggested to him the easiest way for him to to fetch them, which he did. He later returned them unloaded on the back seat. On the suggestion of forum members, I had a lawyer write a complaint to the Chief, to which I didn't get a reply.
Last edited by J.R.@A&M on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

battalion74

Post by battalion74 »

I previously posted this a few years ago. I was pulled over back in the late 90's. It was a traffic stop, didn't use turn signal when I turned into parking lot of Wal-Mart. Followed protocol once he walked up, once informed he decided to withdraw my Beretta 92 out of my shoulder holster and lay it on top of my Dodge Dakota Cab. Called for back up, had a few marked cars show up. When everything was done, he told me to wait till they left to get out and reholster my Beretta. This happened when I was in University, Texas A&M Uni - Kingsville, Kingsville, Tx. I've been pulled over 5 more times, never did they disarm me.

mlawler

Post by mlawler »

Only time I was disarmed by a LEO was by an Indiana State Trooper! (Driving from Texas to Michigan & back; I got around Illinois like they have the Plague!) After giving him DL & CHL he asked were gun was. I told him under the driver seat; XD 9mm uncomfortable IWB for long drive. Clears it safely. Runs serial number (I know, I know!!) I observe that he's a lefty carrying a Beretta 92 and ask him how he does his reloads with the mag release on the 'wrong' side. (I've shot IDPA for more than 15 yrs) I show him how the XD's mag release is ambidextrous and he likes it!! NO TICKET!! :anamatedbanana

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

2 times.....complainant to a disturbance..one of which I was assaulted, left the scene as I called 911

Yes

For "OUR" safety

No

5: Where did this happen and what department?
Both times were Arlington PD

I will further add that I have had dozens of dealings with LEOs due to my job. Only one other time was I disarmed but it doesn't fall in your "DATA GROUP"
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”