Would you carry to church?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cxm
Posts in topic: 1

Class

Post by cxm »

Chris,

I have a standing offer to LE types to attend my CHL class free... I have had a few accept the offer and both I and the LEOs have been surprised at how much they don't know abouit the CHL law.

Another instructor in my area has done briefings on the CHL rules and regulations at local police dept . training classes.

As instructors I think it is to our advantage to take the time to try to educate LEOs if we can. It is worthwhile to inform the cops on the law if you can... they have a great deal to learn on lots of subjects... and it is possible CHL law gets passed over quickly.

FWIW

Chuck

Chris wrote:
extremist wrote:
did they just forget to update? i haven't heard anything that changes that.
It was changed back in 1998 I believe. They added:

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor
was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

So you have to read to the BOTTOM of 46.035

Who taught your CHL renewal class? :wink:

James
never went. i don't deal with it that much outside of traffic stops. that's why i joined here. i'm getting one just because i can, but avoiding the instant checks is all i'll get from it.

i guess that goes to show how much i've needed that law. i don't recall ever having a problem with a CHL holder outside the typical t-stop arguments.
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

Bubba
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bubba »

Baytown wrote:So it's not social when someone at church tries to give me a hug and I give them on open-hand shove to the chest, blade-off, and give a verbal command of: "Stay back" as I pull out my pepper? :oops:

I had to laugh out loud just writing that. That's funny, I don't care who you are. :lol:

Glenn
YUP ! LOL :)
I always thought if ya'll is a huggin, then they should know you well enough to realize what it is. My church is a very small country (Baptist) place where everybody knows everybody. :)

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Because I'm out in the country where we just don't have many BG problems, I usually don't wear mine in church. I know that I should and have become lax in the rural area. In my county there are many volunteer organizations for fire, medical, etc. On morning at church I was wearing a handheld radio on my belt (in the back) when the hugging lady felt it and wanted to know what it was. Kinda funny at the time :)

SteyrM40
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SteyrM40 »

Hello everyone,

I don't practice any religion, so I rarely find myself in church, and certainly not on a regurlar basis. Nevertheless, there are certain events in ones life that may take him into a church, synagogue, temple, mosque, etc. I have been to all of these buildings for weddings, baptisms, services, tourism, bar mitzvahs, bat mitzvahs, funerals, etc.

I carry everywhere I go. I make no exceptions, unless I am prohibited by law. Since my weapon(s) is always concealed, I do not consider it an offense to any members of said congregation to carry there. My belief in self-preservation and self-defense precludes any belief in a higher force(s).

Stay safe...

SteyrM40

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

SteyrM40 wrote:. My belief in self-preservation and self-defense precludes any belief in a higher force(s).

SteyrM40
You can't believe in a higher force because you believe in self-defense and self-preservation?

SteyrM40

Post by SteyrM40 »

Hi txinvestigator,
You can't believe in a higher force because you believe in self-defense and self-preservation?
To be more clear (and to make sense), I should have used the word 'overrides' instead of 'precludes' (long day at work - sorry!). Without getting into a religious debate, let me phrase this in another, more clear-cut way: My belief in a higher force is 0%. My belief in self-defense and self-preservation is 100%.

Stay safe...

SteyrM40

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

SteyrM40 wrote:Hi txinvestigator,
To be more clear (and to make sense), I should have used the word 'overrides' instead of 'precludes' (long day at work - sorry!). Without getting into a religious debate, let me phrase this in another, more clear-cut way: My belief in a higher force is 0%. My belief in self-defense and self-preservation is 100%.

Stay safe...

SteyrM40
OK. I was confused.

Trainman

Post by Trainman »

"Would you carry in Church?"

I would answer that with another question:

Would a "bad guy" carry in church?

There is the answer.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I bet the people in Killeen carry in church...

Because after the service or mass, I bet they go to other places, like Luby's etc etc...

If the whole argument about why you think you need to carry in a church is because the "instrument" you carry with you is designed to "kill" people (their thought process, not mine)...And that is a sin...

I have to refer them to the literal translation of the commandment which when taken from the literal Hebrew text, means...

Thall shall not "murder"...

I bet there are a lot of people who carry in that church in Fort Worth as well...Not that it'll ever happen again, but you tend to rethink all the arguments about the "why", and change it to well..."why not?"
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

I'm reminded of a post I saw on another forum on this topic....

You go to church without your weapon and get killed by one of those deranged types that do that sort of thing from time to time. You get to Heaven and ask, "God, how could you let this happen to me???"
To which God replies, "Hammer, I gave you a CHL, a Glock and professional training. What more do you want from me?"

I don't care what you believe, that's funny :lol:

As for hugs, I carry at 3 o'clock. In the rare cases a hug is coming, I just keep the right arm low, left arm high and force their arm config to miss my glock. If they don't comply, I give them an open hand shove to the chest and....

On a more serious note, I don't know for what purpose God has led me to carry and get trained. It might just be to save a churchload of His groupies someday. Maybe it is just to save my family for the after church meal at Luby's. Do you know?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

GlockenHammer wrote:I don't care what you believe, that's funny :lol:
I'm a born-again believer and yes, that's funny!

Chas.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

GlockenHammer wrote:... snip To which God replies, "Hammer, I gave you a CHL, a Glock and professional training. What more do you want from me?"
Funny thought, yes, but a very serious principle indeed. He has given us all things including choice (free will) and we should choose to be prepared to protect ourselves and loved ones.
On another note, a question for Mr. Cotten, if the gun is properly concealed by clothing to the reasonable observation of people, we have complied with the CHL requirements. If someone hugs us and feels it and asks or then knows what you have, are we then in violation (I can't remember the exact legal wording) of the statutes ? What say ye Chas ??
:)

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Sorry about misssssspelling your name in the previous post Mr. Cotton.
:oops:

RatMan

Post by RatMan »

Bubba wrote:Sorry about misssssspelling your name in the previous post Mr. Cotton. :oops:
SMACK! :wink:
XD9 SC
Para C7.45
CZ RAMI
SA Champion 1911
SA Micro Compact 1911
S&W 1911
S&W Model 60 .357Mag
Taurus Model 415 .41mag
Taurus Model 617TBC .357mag
Taurus .45 Millennium Pro
Taurus .380 Millennium
American Derringer .45ACP

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Bubba wrote:On another note, a question for Mr. Cotten, if the gun is properly concealed by clothing to the reasonable observation of people, we have complied with the CHL requirements. If someone hugs us and feels it and asks or then knows what you have, are we then in violation (I can't remember the exact legal wording) of the statutes ? What say ye Chas ??
:)
You should be fine; you didn't "intentionally" fail to conceal the handgun.

Regards,
Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”