Are you still comfortable?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Are you still comfortable?

Post by sjfcontrol »

WildBill wrote:
jdkinman wrote:I'll guarantee you that had someone in that Aurora theater double-tapped this joker coward, he would've dropped his guns, fell to the floor and wailed and screamed like a jilted prom queen, end of story.
I have a good visual image of that. :lol:
I suspect he'd be screaming for someone to call 911! "rlol"
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

sjfcontrol wrote:
WildBill wrote:
jdkinman wrote:I'll guarantee you that had someone in that Aurora theater double-tapped this joker coward, he would've dropped his guns, fell to the floor and wailed and screamed like a jilted prom queen, end of story.
I have a good visual image of that. :lol:
I suspect he'd be screaming for someone to call 911! "rlol"
I don't want to hijack this thread so:

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=57244&p=702609#p702609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

maestrobranson
Posts in topic: 1

Post by maestrobranson »

I, for the most part, carry my p226 in .40. I am have a big enough frame and can wear untucked loose outdoorsy type shirts to even carry it owb in a pancake holster. However, there are times where I just can't carry it iwb, owb or any other way than off body. For that, I bought a p238 (this was before the 938 was out) and just deal. It's better than nothing and has a fantastic trigger besides. Would I rather have my gold dot .40 (which have been responsible for several justified shooting via cops this summer) than the .380? Definitely. But some times it's is impractical to the point of impossibility to carry.
Class-2/12/11
Online Application-2/14/11
Papers sent-2/16/11
Updated online-3/25/11
Plastic in hand-4/12/2011

ClarkLZeuss

Post by ClarkLZeuss »

The Annoyed Man wrote: When I was looking for a small, single stack, striker-fired .45, I narrowed my search down to the G36 and the Kahr CW45 pretty quickly. I bought the Kahr. I bought it for two reasons: 1) I already owned a PM9 and I like the Kahr platform, an 2) the Kahr was $399 versus $565 for the Glock in the same store (Cheaper than Dirt, Fort Worth). If you like your Kahr, take a look at the CW45. BTW, I have also pocket carried this gun, although it is better in a holster, and I have had none of the "rounds popping out" issue with the CW45 spare magazine which can happen with the 9mm. Also, with a fairly simple modification, you can adapt 1911 magazines to fit the CW45.

But the deal maker/breaker for me was the price. $166 difference for no appreciable increase in performance from the Glock made the Kahr the choice for me. Same nice Kahr trigger, etc. So if you like your Kahr, give the CW45 a look-see.
Good tip, thanks TAM! I'll have to try that CW45 out at the range. The other things I like about the G36 is that the recoil was manageable, and the slide is easier to rack than my Kahr P9, which has a pretty stiff slide. I've gotten use to it, but it's hard for my wife to use. All in all I DO like my Kahr, though.
"Love always protects." (1 Corinthians 13:7)

Hola Gato

Post by Hola Gato »

Shinesintx wrote:Are you still comfortable with your EDC caliber? This whole Colorado shooting has caused me to rethink my EDC. I have been carrying a P238 Sig for about a year now. Its part of me. I put on my watch, my wedding ring, put my wallet and phone in my pocket along with my Benchmade Kulgera...and I am out the door only when my little Sig is IWB in a DM Bullard. I have been of mind that a .380 is better than nothing, but this shooter would probably not have even noticed 7 rounds of .380.
The cafe robbery in Florida made me rethink the idea of relying on a .380.
I didn't vote for Obama.
Somebody else did that.

Topic author
Shinesintx
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Shinesintx »

Hola Gato wrote:
Shinesintx wrote:Are you still comfortable with your EDC caliber? This whole Colorado shooting has caused me to rethink my EDC. I have been carrying a P238 Sig for about a year now. Its part of me. I put on my watch, my wedding ring, put my wallet and phone in my pocket along with my Benchmade Kulgera...and I am out the door only when my little Sig is IWB in a DM Bullard. I have been of mind that a .380 is better than nothing, but this shooter would probably not have even noticed 7 rounds of .380.
The cafe robbery in Florida made me rethink the idea of relying on a .380.
Yep, me too! The guy just ran away.

JeepGuy79

Post by JeepGuy79 »

look where he was hit.... What ammo was that old man using? Some old weak ball ammo made in 1964?

That loon that is claiming Xanax defense in court (that just went mistrial) ran over her X with an explorer and he got up and ran off with two broken legs. crazy stuff happens

people have survived a 12g shotty under the chin. personally I think shot placement is more critical than caliber. And chance. and God's will

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JALLEN »

Here is a Dr. view of gunshot wounds: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's lengthy but for anyone who hasn't shot people for a living in a variety of circumstances, it is time well spent, so you know what to expect.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Shinesintx wrote: The cafe robbery in Florida made me rethink the idea of relying on a .380.
That's not the worst outcome by any means.

The shooter in that situation didn't really get a solid hit on either of them, tough to do with any caliber because once the shooting started, they were all over themselves getting out of there. I imagine the pre-op briefing didn't cover the possibility of a crazy old man shooting at them.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
Shinesintx

Post by Shinesintx »

JALLEN wrote:
Shinesintx wrote: The cafe robbery in Florida made me rethink the idea of relying on a .380.
That's not the worst outcome by any means.

The shooter in that situation didn't really get a solid hit on either of them, tough to do with any caliber because once the shooting started, they were all over themselves getting out of there. I imagine the pre-op briefing didn't cover the possibility of a crazy old man shooting at them.
I agree and good assessment.

On a side note, not that you accused me, but I started this thread to if if some had changed their mind as to what they carry. It was not to start another caliber war...it was purely to see if anyone was second guessing themselves like I was. I am getting close to selling a P220 to fund a Kimber Solo or CW 45...maybe both?

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Shinesintx wrote: On a side note, not that you accused me, but I started this thread to if if some had changed their mind as to what they carry. It was not to start another caliber war...it was purely to see if anyone was second guessing themselves like I was. I am getting close to selling a P220 to fund a Kimber Solo or CW 45...maybe both?
Why would anyone sell a P220? I just finished reading Chris Kyle's book, American Sniper, and that is what he prefers, although the news item about his carjacking claimed he used a 1911. News reports are seldom accurate, of course.

The .45 I like best is the HK45, which I intend to buy as soon as I take up residence in Texas. Those are not on the approved list here, so can only be bought from someone who has one legally, like a LEO, or someone who moved here with one. I had a HK45C and was very much impressed. I also have a P7M8 which I have been well-pleased with but it is 8 shots of 9mm, and gets hot very fast. I sold the 45C in anticipation of a move, but here I still sit waiting on the house to sell.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

JALLEN wrote:. . . in anticipation of a move, but here I still sit waiting on the house to sell.
Man, I can relate to waiting on a house to sell. Let's hope that gets cleared up and you get back home soon! :thumbs2: :thumbs2:

Nice to see you posting again.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Shinesintx

Post by Shinesintx »

JALLEN wrote:
Shinesintx wrote: On a side note, not that you accused me, but I started this thread to if if some had changed their mind as to what they carry. It was not to start another caliber war...it was purely to see if anyone was second guessing themselves like I was. I am getting close to selling a P220 to fund a Kimber Solo or CW 45...maybe both?
Why would anyone sell a P220? I just finished reading Chris Kyle's book, American Sniper, and that is what he prefers, although the news item about his carjacking claimed he used a 1911. News reports are seldom accurate, of course.

The .45 I like best is the HK45, which I intend to buy as soon as I take up residence in Texas. Those are not on the approved list here, so can only be bought from someone who has one legally, like a LEO, or someone who moved here with one. I had a HK45C and was very much impressed. I also have a P7M8 which I have been well-pleased with but it is 8 shots of 9mm, and gets hot very fast. I sold the 45C in anticipation of a move, but here I still sit waiting on the house to sell.
Because I have 3 P220s...and an HK45 and HK45c. Basically, I have too many full size guns and am considering scaling down several larger guns to get CW type pistols.

Also, I really dont care too much for the Citizens of the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia...but you seem decent enough...get here as fast as you can. :biggrinjester:

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Shinesintx wrote: Also, I really dont care too much for the Citizens of the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia...but you seem decent enough...get here as fast as you can. :biggrinjester:
Actually, I'm a Native Houstonian, an expat here for many years.

I don't much like Californians either, especially the ones who are in the Legislature, and the ones who voted for them.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Years ago I carried a SIG P232 .380ACP. A decent gun.

However I have far, far more confidence in the USP45 that I have carried for the last 10 years.

In 1995, Jerry Hessler murdered 4 people before a single .45 ACP ended his killing spree. Hessler was wearing body armor, an armed citizen's .45 hit Hessler in the vest, and Hessler voluntarily ended his spree. Hessler later surrendered to police without a fight saying "I've been shot", he was bruised and bleeding under the vest, and was treated at a local hospital for blunt trauma.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”