2 hour CHL class??

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jocat54
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 2 hour CHL class??

Post by jocat54 »

tomtexan wrote:And to any and all that are going to take any class to get a Florida license just to bypass the Texas requirements. I did the very same thing. The advertisement looked so appealing. No shoot, 4 hours only class. I have known about Texas CHL being available since it became reality in 1995. I was not actually eligible until 2000. I kept putting it off for the next 12 years. And finally I saw the ad in the paper for the Florida license. I thought, hey, why not? It's just too easy. So, I went and took the class and a month later I had the Florida license. After I got it, I got to thinking that this just doesn't feel right. What if I get pulled over by the law and display a Texas driver license and a Florida handgun license? That might raise some eyebrows. Long story short, I took the Texas class the very next month and got the Texas license a short time later.

So the lesson learned here was, if you get the Florida license so you can bypass the long and strict Texas requirements, you won't feel good about it in the long run. At least that is the way it worked for me.
Why did you have to take a class to get a Florida License? Was it show competency with a firearm?
I have had a Florida License for a while now and all I had to do was fill out the application and send them a copy of my DD214.
The Florida license is legal in Texas.
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 6

Post by tomtexan »

jocat54 wrote:Why did you have to take a class to get a Florida License? Was it show competency with a firearm?
Yes.
jocat54 wrote:The Florida license is legal in Texas.
Yes, it is.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

....and, the applicant is not getting a deal, in fact, he is getting ripped off. An understanding of Texas CHL laws is important and it needs more than 2 hours to get a grasp of it. The class is for the CHL's protection.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 6

Post by tomtexan »

Jim Beaux wrote:....and, the applicant is not getting a deal, in fact, he is getting ripped off. An understanding of Texas CHL laws is important and it needs more than 2 hours to get a grasp of it. The class is for the CHL's protection.
Right on! :iagree:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

One could stay in a class 56 hours and not learn/understand what one needs to know. The Texas CHL class is not about training lawyers, it's about the responsibilities, requirements and consequences of legally carrying a CW IN Texas, not anywhere else. A Texas CHL is not a Batman license and neither is any other state's CCW thinghy a Batman license.

I learned most of everything I know about CHL from this forum. IANAL, but I am a Texas CH licensee. Just sayin'...

Topic author
Ebriangoff

Post by Ebriangoff »

I did mention to him that the way it may be legal is if it's for another state that Texas recognizes. I haven't heard back from him since then, so I assume he did a little more research. I am new to the CHL world, but think it is irresponsible for someone to take a shortened class, especially if the class doesn't require shooting. We had a 70 year old lady the other day in my class that was there for a renewal and couldn't pass the shooting portion. Kinda scary. Our instructor made her schedule another shooting time.

Well, thanks for all the info guys. I am looking forward to getting my license and am sure I will be on this forum quite a bit.

Thanks!

mommagamber

Post by mommagamber »

At the gun show in Conroe last weekend there was more then one CHL company promoting getting and Utah or Florida license thru them until you "had time" to get your TX CHL - which they also offered. I thought hhmmm. I understand it is legal for them to do that but it just feels wrong and "misguided". Guess that is just me and my morals.
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

mommagamber wrote:At the gun show in Conroe last weekend there was more then one CHL company promoting getting and Utah or Florida license thru them until you "had time" to get your TX CHL - which they also offered. I thought hhmmm. I understand it is legal for them to do that but it just feels wrong and "misguided". Guess that is just me and my morals.
Makes no sense for Utah, since they require you to have a Texas license to get theirs.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

CMalin

Post by CMalin »

All these people trying to go around getting a Texas chl. I understand getting on in another state because sometime the local pd may not know th reciprocity agreement. Seems as if you ever had to use deadly force the prosecutor would have a hay day with you on the stand, with an out of state chl.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

CMalin wrote:All these people trying to go around getting a Texas chl. I understand getting on in another state because sometime the local pd may not know th reciprocity agreement. Seems as if you ever had to use deadly force the prosecutor would have a hay day with you on the stand, with an out of state chl.
Gotta disagree with you. A valid CHL is a valid CHL. If Texas has reprocity, that means the state has judged their requirements as good enough for the state of Texas.

I have a Texas CHL, but am heavily considering adding an Arizona CHL. Mainly because my first renewal is coming up next year, and just in case it takes longer than expected, I could still carry under the Arizona license while I wait for my Texas one to come back. :thumbs2:
TANSTAAFL

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

I have been considering getting--in addition too, not instead of--the AZ, so that I can pick up a couple more states(primarily NV)
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

This was the latest questionable option, a one hour Virginia license done online.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=51236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, we have reciprocity with VA.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

Texas could fix a big part of the problem by reducing fees but they keep them high for the same reasons there used to be poll taxes.

The tests and fees for a CHL should be eliminated for the same reasons we no longer have literacy tests and poll taxes.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

smoothoperator wrote:Texas could fix a big part of the problem by reducing fees but they keep them high for the same reasons there used to be poll taxes.

The tests and fees for a CHL should be eliminated for the same reasons we no longer have literacy tests and poll taxes.
I do not disagree with you. The cost of a Texas CHL is disproportionately HIGH....and it's all about the money. Look at the money taken in by TPW and then look where it goes, eh?

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

The crazy high fees are why I didn't get Texas plastic.
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”