So you're sitting in church when...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: So you're sitting in church when...

Post by jimlongley »

I don't know about your church, but in mine, if it is someone bent on causing trouble, they could be in a great deal of hurt right quick.
Attachments
After church skeet shoot, behind the church.
After church skeet shoot, behind the church.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Wienerdogtroy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Wienerdogtroy »

Oldgringo wrote:Depends on if the person had the collection plate in the other hand; e.g., taking up the offering.
now thats what I would call innovative church fundraising! :lol::

Wienerdogtroy

Post by Wienerdogtroy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:There's a fair possibility that I'm on stage when this happens. I'll do whatever I have to do......including shoot/not-shoot. When I'm not on stage, I sit near the back of the congregation. Same thing applies.
If I am pulling usher or vestry duty that day there's a very good chance I've already drawn a bead on his head. I am NOT trying to talk tough. I tend to stand between the outer area in the sanctuary and would have seen him. In our church that would be nothing but a murder about to happen and those people are the closest thing I have to family (not including my family who are likely there), and have thought about this as occasionally weirdoes appear.

Thats assuming the wife hasn't blown him to hell. She's way meaner than I am. :leaving

retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I have thought about my reaction to a scenario similar to what the OP describes, and like it or not, my responsibility is to protect my wife and daughter and not the entire congregation. In my point of view, I should be on the defensive until the "gunman" makes a threatening move that would warrant an offensive move on my part.

I have no grand plans of being a hero, and I hope I am never put in that situation. However, I already have my mind made up that I can and will kill someone if my family's or my life is in jeopardy.

A couple of months ago, my preacher texted me in the middle of a worship song and asked me to keep an eye on a man that was acting "wierd". Fortunately, in this case, I knew the man as someone with mild mental issues, and he is a little disruptive but harmless.

I carry 24/7, and many folks that know me know this fact. I don't talk about carrying, and I carry very discrietly and absolutely never "flash" my gun.

Topic author
TxSheepdog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TxSheepdog »

Our church doesn't have any security teams or anything like that. I know there are a few LEO in the congregation.

I generally sit about 4 rows from the back, and 8 rows ahead of me. If someone with a drawn pistol at their side walks past me, he's either going to shoot or not in the next couple seconds. If that person was after a mass shooting, they could just stand in back and have at it.

There are a couple ushers that hang around in back, but generally that's it.

On stage there are generally 2 priests, a deacon or 2, and a herd of altar boys/girls.

I don't think I could justify taking a shot until the person with the gun made a move to raise their gun. Maybe they are deranged and wanted a shouting match, and brought the gun to reinforce their point that they are serious.

I would definitely push my family to the floor, or try to make for an exit.

If the person wanted a shouting match they would get tackled pretty quick. A lot of us big guys sit on the aisle seats (more leg room :lol: ). Is it too risky to try to disarm someone with a pistol?

I was primarily curious what the group thought as far as a shoot/no shoot scenario where the threat is walking away from you, but into a position to threaten everyone else. You have the drop on them, but they haven't made the move yet.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

reh

Post by reh »

Unfortunately, we can't carry in my church because we meet in a school building in Austin. No LEOs there either, at least none that we know of. Until the stupid school law is changed, we're sitting ducks! (As are any other churches around the state who meet in schools.)

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Find some where else to go to Church. I carry in the pulit and my deacons have a security team organized by our resident FBI agent and 5 LEO offices including the head man for my county Swat team. He would get confronted and tazered if he resisted.

After the Fort Worth Wedgewood Shooting in my seminary days and the Pastor shootings since I don't play around anymore.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

USASGT

Post by USASGT »

Post deleted. Moot point upon re-read of the statute.
Last edited by USASGT on Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
U.S. Army 1982-87
Patriot Guard Rider
N.R.A. Member

Post by 77346 »

USASGT,

I believe the OP assumed there is no 30.06 sign posted at the church.

BTW, you should read the entire chapter 46, as the text below applies to some of the places listed in subsection (b):
(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.
IANAL
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

since I lived in CO during the New Live Church shooting I answered this scenario a long time ago, my husband and I would have had him in our sites fairly quickly. our kids would hit the deck, and if possible would get any young ones nearby down too.
We do go to a fairly relaxed church, clothing would tell nothing. He would have go thru a foyer, and we sit about about 1/3 from the front, so it's possible that by the time he reached us there would be a "disturbance in the force"? We have several members of EMS, but I don't know about police, I don't know how many carry, but it's certainly possible, no one at the church knows we do.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

USASGT

Post by USASGT »

77346 wrote:USASGT,

BTW, you should read the entire chapter 46, as the text below applies to some of the places listed in subsection (b):
(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.
IANAL

Went back and saw that I overlooked it. Thanks for pointing it out. That negates my post. :tiphat:
U.S. Army 1982-87
Patriot Guard Rider
N.R.A. Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

USASGT wrote:
77346 wrote:USASGT,

IANAL
Went back and saw that I overlooked it. Thanks for pointing it out. That negates my post. :tiphat:
This is probably the most overlooked part of Section 30.06. That is why it is important to read the entire statute.
NRA Endowment Member

barstoolguru
Posts in topic: 4

Post by barstoolguru »

By law is the 30.06 sigh required to make it illegal to carry in a church. The only way you could carry is by written permission

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

A "prego woman"? Really?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RPB »

barstoolguru wrote:By law is the 30.06 sigh required to make it illegal to carry in a church. The only way you could carry is by written permission

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(b) (6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

If no 30.06 sign it is ok to carry
Last edited by RPB on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”