Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
PBratton
Posts in topic: 3

Skeeters Game

Post by PBratton »

So, going to the game. ]

Coupla questions:

Is this considered a professional sport?

Is the stadium posted?
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

CC Italian
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Skeeters Game

Post by CC Italian »

MiLB is a professional sport just like MLB. I would say it is a no go on that premise. I have never been to a Skeeters game so I don't know if it is posted but like I said they are a recognized professional sporting league. I would treat it just like going to a game at Reliant.
Last edited by CC Italian on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
PBratton

Post by PBratton »

ok, thanks! Nice storms now, may be a washout tonight.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

KWalk313000

Post by KWalk313000 »

I went to a game this week and I did not see it posted but I left it in the truck to be safe. Never know with these "professional" sports teams.
Glock 19
Glock 26
Ruger LCP

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

PBratton wrote:So, going to the game. ]

Coupla questions:

Is this considered a professional sport?

Is the stadium posted?

I am no Sports Guru. Dont know what the Skeeters play. If this is a Professional anything team it is a no carry by statute regardless of location.
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Minor League players today are often more highly paid than Major League players of just 20-30 years ago. My cousin, who pitched Major League ball (Expos, Cardinals, Rockies) back in the 1980s/1990s later became a Minor League pitching coach when his own pitching career was over. He told me that pitchers in the Minors today get signing bonuses that would have made a Major League player of his era blush. My cousin is Bryn Smith. He came up into the majors with Montreal, in long relief. While in that position, he had the lowest ERA in the league. After a couple of seasons as a reliever, he was put in the starting rotation. That year, he went 18-5 and was runner-up for the Cy Young award. He was paid $280,000 for that season.

Now, this may not be true for all Minor League clubs, but it is true for many of them. Anytime an athlete is getting paid that kind of money to play, his/her status as a "professional" is beyond question.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Minor League Baseball is definitely a professional sporting event. You will also many times find major league players on injured reserve playing at their minor league games until they are able to return to the sister team.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Just an aside that the Skeeters are an Atlantic League of Professional Baseball (ALPB) franchise and aren't directly related to MLB. Minor League player contracts are actually handled by the MLB and divided into Classes A through AAA, with AAA being, typically, the highest paid. The ALPB, founded in 1998, is independent of MLB and its seven other teams are all in NY, NJ, MD, CT, and PA; the Skeeters are an "expansion" team as the ALPB tries to extend its reach westward.

But, yep, the players do get paid a salary. IMO It absolutely qualifies as a professional sporting event under PC §46.035(b)(2).
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Thanks folks!

It's a GREAT ballpark, very intimate.

I will be back.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”