Is this legal?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Backfire
Posts in topic: 8

Is this legal?

Post by Backfire »

I was talking to a friend - and he had an experience that got me thinking. I am a new CHL guy (waiting to come in mail).
He was traveling and went into a gas station at 1:00 am. He went into the bathroom and he was being cased by someone. As soon as he entered the room another guy burst behind him, Bill (my friend) was at the urinal. The bad guy had another friend that entered the bathroom and signaled for him to leave - a cop come in the store to get some coffee. My friend was lucky - blessed not to get mugged or worse.

Question: Can you pull a weapon and shoot someone that physically attacks you with there fist only? When you know "its coming" do you have to wait until he pulls a knife, or weapon to draw and shoot the attacker? Do you have to endure a beatdown and let him go if he has no weapon and you two are comparable in size?

Ace5299
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is this legal?

Post by Ace5299 »

You can pull and shoot anyone at anytime...the real question is should you and what happens to you when you do? For me, I know what I would do and you should too. there are a lot more qualified members on here that I'm sure will help you on the legal aspects but you should have gone over this in your CHL class. A few things to think about

1. Do you feel like your life is threaten?
2. Can you remove yourself from the threat?
3. Can you deal with the consequence of your action (legal or not)
4. Why do you carry? What are your limits before you draw and fire?

I know this does not answer your question of if this is legal or not. I am not a lawyer although I play one on TV.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

Sounds like a robbery. Guy says, "Give me your money", and he gets perforated.

They should have covered the crimes that give the presumption of justified self defense in your class.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

When I took my CHL class, the instructor said that fists alone were never justification to use deadly force. I don't know whether that's true or not (he told us some other things that turned out to be incorrect), but that's what he said.

Having said that, I don't think many juries in Texas would convict you for pulling a weapon in such a situation, even if a grand jury indicted you for it, and even that's a big IF.

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

The husband of a good friend of mine was killed with one punch to the head from a guy showing off for some other girls. The husband was of average build in his mid 20s. The bg was early 20s, about 3" shorter and about 40lb lighter. The husband was dead before he hit the ground. Lucky punch???? Maybe...but he is still dead, still a child without his daddy and still a mommy without her husband.

It's not legal advising but it is the truth and a possibility.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

The very first CHL shooting in Texas was a little guy getting pounded on by a big guy. The little guy was able to get his gun and shoot and kill the big guy and he was "no billed."

When there is a disparity of force (multiple attackers against one, young against old, or big against little) we are justified in pulling our weapon out whether we use it or not. If you are in fear for your life you are justified in using deadly force. In this situation, I'm not sure if you would be justified in pulling your gun out before the guy started pounding on you, but if he did start pounding on you and you feared for your life then you're good to go.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

JustMe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustMe »

Why is it that there are so many first posts that are "can I shoot" questions?
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

JustMe wrote:Why is it that there are so many first posts that are "can I shoot" questions?
I've wondered the same thing.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

You were never a new poster? I know that I was...
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

Purplehood wrote:You were never a new poster? I know that I was...
Yes, I was--and am still new. but my first question wasn't--"Can I shoot someone"
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

I agree with you about this, but at the same time there are a lot of new post by people who have taken the class and are asking about information that should have been covered in the class. Not sure about the OP's class, but use of force was covered extensively in my class.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

steveincowtown wrote:

I agree with you about this, but at the same time there are a lot of new post by people who have taken the class and are asking about information that should have been covered in the class. Not sure about the OP's class, but use of force was covered extensively in my class.
Agreed...I had a good set of instructors though (Crossfire, cough cough). ;-)

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

steveincowtown wrote:

I agree that his instructor did him a severe disservice.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

A suggestion (or at least what I do) that gives you somewhat of an edge when using a public restroom - head for the stall - usually the door can be locked and you are not as "vulnerable" as when using the urinal. :tiphat:

fickman

Post by fickman »

JustMe wrote:
Yes, I was--and am still new. but my first question wasn't--"Can I shoot someone"
My guess is that most of them think of the question, do some Google searching, and stumble upon our little community. The question and search for clarity in the law leads them here, so naturally, it's the first thing they ask.

I was obsessed with the "what-ifs" when I first got my CHL because my instructor did a poor job explaining a threat continuum and how to set a threshold of "Do I fear for my life or serious bodily injury?"

----
To OP:
As with most questions here, it depends. We can't answer every scenario definitively, but we can try to communicate a framework to use for your decision making.

You need to establish a threat continuum. . . and determine the threshold for different actions. What level of fear would make you draw? What level of fear would make you shoot? What is a clear line of demarcation to draw between the two?

For example, "If they block the door, I'm going to verbally demand they move. If they demand my money or respond with a threat, I'm going to draw. If they begins to attack, I'm going to shoot."

In the back of your mind (or preferably, before you're in the situation), consider the questions, "What do I have to do to survive" and then temper that against, "How will that look being explained to a jury?"

If you're 78 and there's one attacker using his fists in his early 30's, it's easier to explain your actions.

If you're 30 and there's one attacker using his fists in his late 70's, it's going to be very hard to explain your actions. Change it slightly so that he has a knife or gun, and it's easy to explain your actions.

If you're 24 and there's one attacker using fists about your same size. . . it gets a little murky to explain. Change it by adding a second attacker, and it gets a little easier.

Read the law and understand the requirements for:
- Threatening the use of force
- Using force
- Threatening the use of deadly force
- Using deadly force

Welcome to the forum!
Native Texian

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”