CHL class

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jhsvt123
Posts in topic: 2

CHL class

Post by jhsvt123 »

My wife and I took the Texas CHL class yesterday. We were totally bored to tears. The instructor took 2 hours of information and made it last 8 hours, really. He kept getting off the subject telling his stories. On top if that the information he did cover did not really apply to a civilian situation at all. I mean they had a captive audience for 8 hours and they could have presented more relevant information to the students. I don't know if this was a normal class or not? I can't see how he could possibly fill up 8 hours with the slides he had. We are transferring our licenses from Georgia and were hoping to learn more about any differences in laws between the 2 states. Also the pistol qualification was unbelievably easy. Most of the shots were from distance here I could almost touch the paper with the muzzle. I can't she how this demonstrates in any way if you can hit what you aim at. Has anyone else encounters a similar class? I will also say that the process to get a Texas CHL is very time consuming, expensive, and complicated. Maybe Georgia was to easy?

Jim

hillfighter
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL class

Post by hillfighter »

There are good and bad restaurants. There are good and bad auto mechanics. There are good and bad professors.

Sorry you got a bad CHL instructor. It would be nice if there was a website to rate CHL instructors, like people rate restaurants, auto mechanics, and college professors.
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

rev210

Post by rev210 »

I had a CHL in Colorado and the Texas process is a little more complicated than that state but I didn't think it was that bad. As far as the class I had the opposite experience and I wish CO had the same thing, the class I went to was awesome and had tons of great information, even though it was a long day it went by fast, it kept everyone interested the entire time and a lot of relevant information was covered. Like every other product there are good and bad options out there.
Last edited by rev210 on Sun May 06, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Welcome to the TexasCHLforum.

How did you take a Texas CHL class that lasted 8 hours? Initial classes must be between 10 and 15 hrs and renewals must be 4 to 6 hours.

Chas.

Running Arrow Bill

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Welcome to the TexasCHLforum.

How did you take a Texas CHL class that lasted 8 hours? Initial classes must be between 10 and 15 hrs and renewals must be 4 to 6 hours.

Chas.
Agree, Charles!

Ten hours minimul with 50 rounds of range firing at different distances and firing sequences. IF the instructor had run the course "by the numbers & by the book" and also interjected real world examples and have question and answer opportunities, it will obviously take the full time, allowing for periodic rest breaks...JMO.

Also, on a sidebar: "Non-academically inclined" students tend to want nuts & bolts instruction in shortest amount of time. And, one reason the instructor "reads" or goes "point by point" from the textbook is that a significant number of students (college or otherwise) will not read the "textbook", so to speak... I know...I'm also a former University Teacher and also a Vocational Teacher... lol!
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

Topic author
jhsvt123
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jhsvt123 »

Classroom time was 8 hours + 2 hours range time. There was not much taught in the class that would apply to CHL holders, it was mainly for police officers. We will certainly try a different instructor when out certification needs to be done.

gdanaher
Banned

Post by gdanaher »

When my wife finally decided to get her license I directed her to the Texas Handgun Academy in northeast Dallas. She took the class last Friday, She was there for 10.5 hours including range time, found the instructor knowledgeable and informative. She is one to gripe about having to sit through meetings but she didn't complain and when I asked her about it she said it really wasn't nearly as bad as she had anticipated and felt the time was well spent. Every instructor is different, and we all expect different things, but if she said it was OK, well, let me tell you that it must have been great.

EL29jm

Post by EL29jm »

Hi Jim,

I have met excellent instructors and some instructors that I would not personally recommend. Regardless, you found this site which is a major plus in you effort to become an informed member who holds a CHL. There are a few members in this forum who regularly respond to questions and will provide references by quoting Texas Law. References to the "Texas Concealed Handgun Laws - Texas" document. Google "Texas CHL Laws", first result. If you do not have a copy, recommend that download and review. Slow read but good information regarding laws that pertain to CHL holders.

To restate, there are some excellent members who provide substantial information backed by precise quotes. This web site has been a very good source of information.

And regarding differences in laws, while not official, look at the web link handgunlaw.us

-John
(Grid - EL29jl - moved) NRA Lifetime member

alvins

Post by alvins »

my instructor was terrible. we spent most of the time going over the answers to the test.

yes the shooting portion of the test is laughable i think.

jocat54

Post by jocat54 »

jhsvt123 wrote:My wife and I took the Texas CHL class yesterday. We were totally bored to tears. The instructor took 2 hours of information and made it last 8 hours, really. He kept getting off the subject telling his stories. On top if that the information he did cover did not really apply to a civilian situation at all. I mean they had a captive audience for 8 hours and they could have presented more relevant information to the students. I don't know if this was a normal class or not? I can't see how he could possibly fill up 8 hours with the slides he had. We are transferring our licenses from Georgia and were hoping to learn more about any differences in laws between the 2 states. Also the pistol qualification was unbelievably easy. Most of the shots were from distance here I could almost touch the paper with the muzzle. I can't she how this demonstrates in any way if you can hit what you aim at. Has anyone else encounters a similar class? I will also say that the process to get a Texas CHL is very time consuming, expensive, and complicated. Maybe Georgia was to easy?

Jim

I would have to agree with you on that.
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Stumpjumper

Post by Stumpjumper »

My CHL class was horrible also. If I had not read the CHL statutes and penal code on use of force/deadly force; I would have left my class believing that you could spill blood for any little grievance-no joke. My instructor must have told us 10 different times to put the bad guys guts on the ground-from situations as little as being verbally assaulted to breaking in to your house-fill em full of lead and put their guts on the ground. It was bad enough that a lady sitting at my table told me her phone had gotten stolen while at a restaraunt ( a grab and run) and she didn't realize that she could have shot the thief. I told her that wasn't justifiable and it would be very beneficial for her to read when you can use deadly force because we weren't getting good information.
During the shooting phase we had two individuals who had never handled a firearm before. The instructor had to help them load the mag, chamber a round, and stand behind them while they shot the target. Looked like the targe had gone to an accupuncture clinic-but the student passed.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take it upon yourself to fully understand the statutes and penal code concerning concealed carry.
What chance does America have if good people do nothing?

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

hillfighter wrote:It would be nice if there was a website to rate CHL instructors, like people rate restaurants, auto mechanics, and college professors.
:iagree: That's a great idea.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

texas-sig

Post by texas-sig »

My instructor was great he's a retired border patrol agent and his wife also teaches that class. I think it was some of the students that made the class drag, I mean you gotta know something about the law beforehand, don't expect to learn and know everything in a few hours do some research buy some books or get the information free from the web.

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

EL29jm wrote:Hi Jim,

I have met excellent instructors and some instructors that I would not personally recommend. Regardless, you found this site which is a major plus in you effort to become an informed member who holds a CHL. There are a few members in this forum who regularly respond to questions and will provide references by quoting Texas Law. References to the "Texas Concealed Handgun Laws - Texas" document. Google "Texas CHL Laws", first result. If you do not have a copy, recommend that download and review. Slow read but good information regarding laws that pertain to CHL holders.

To restate, there are some excellent members who provide substantial information backed by precise quotes. This web site has been a very good source of information.

And regarding differences in laws, while not official, look at the web link handgunlaw.us

-John

I have to agree 10000%! I had a "less than stellar" class--and I have learned more here--reading & asking questions--than I learned in the class
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”