ALERT .30-06 victim disarmed zone: Houston Hilton

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ALERT .30-06 victim disarmed zone: Houston Hilton

Post by srothstein »

warhorse10_9 wrote:I stayed at the Hilton in Downtown Austin this past week. <snip> Anyway when discussing the issue with the manager, I was informed, according to him the building is actually owned by the city. I have not checked this, but that would make that posting unenforceable.
This is an interesting situation that really makes things a gray area. The property is listed in the name of Austin Convention Enterprises Inc, according to the Travis Appraisal District. This is not the city, per se. It is also listed as tax exempt, which makes it owned by the government. I honestly cannot say how this would work out in court. For the purposes of PC 30.06, is it government property if it is owned by a corporation that is owned by the government? I would hate to be forced to bet on the outcome of that court hearing since I can see strong arguments both ways.

As an aside, before someone uses the tax exempt status as part of the argument, this is not a valid exemption. If the property is owned by the government but used for non-governmental purposes, it is taxable.
Steve Rothstein

Snap E Tom

Post by Snap E Tom »

I went to the Hilton in Austin last week through the main, west-facing entrance. This is what I saw on my way out.

IMO, this is just ridiculous. The writing is not only grey on glass, but they park their luggage carts in front of the signs.

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

I really despise 30.06 signs. It's the most illogical thing you can do:"Law abiding citizens who went through background checks and class, no guns" "Criminals welcome".

Every time I see one of these "guess who's posted now" threads, it just sticks in my craw. :banghead:
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Dad24GreatKids

Post by Dad24GreatKids »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The Pasadena Hilton (where I've been staying while in California) is not posted. The state took care of that for them. That's right.....the entire state is posted. :grumble
For the past several years all of my work related travel has been international, so concealed carry is not an option. During those trips I normally leave my plastic at home. I'm speculating that if for some reason I were to be stopped (i.e. customs), having the plastic would complicate things.
Dad24GreatKids
NRA Life member
TSRA

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Guys, ranting on the forum won't get your constitutional rights back. WRITE to the hotel and if you're an "elite" member who stays 75 nights a year at Hilton, then please write corporate and TELL them that you're an "elite" member that won't go back anymore.

Shinesintx
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Shinesintx »

drjoker wrote:Guys, ranting on the forum won't get your constitutional rights back. WRITE to the hotel and if you're an "elite" member who stays 75 nights a year at Hilton, then please write corporate and TELL them that you're an "elite" member that won't go back anymore.
Its Diamond, but I think that I am going to write them.

Madbull

Post by Madbull »

You silly Hilton people. Make the move to Hyatt. Doooo eeettt. :mrgreen: (Of course I say that, and have no knowledge about the presence or absence of signs. Now that I'll be a CHLer, I'll have to check next time I stay at one).
Mailbox to Mailbox - 32 Days

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Stay at La Quita they don't post Tell Hilton that you are scared to stay there due to the fact that
the 3006 signs are a magnet for The United Brotherhood of Rapists and Burglars.
The Brotherhood is very concerned for the job safety of their members.
The Hilton obviously cares more for the safety of the Brotherhood than they
care for the safety of the hotel guests.
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Crossfire wrote:I have noticed that many of the large Hilton hotels in Texas are posted. Those that have conference rooms or meeting facilities. I travel frequently for work, and changed my lodging preference from Hilton to Holiday Inn because of it.
Plus, by staying there, you are just a lot smarter the next morning... :thumbs2: "rlol"
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

howdy

Post by howdy »

I wonder why they picked Hilton for the conference:

http://www.instructorconference.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Interesting that the Hilton Post Oak website make no reference to firearm prohibitions under "policies" A search of "gun", firearm etc lists nothing. Pets are ok at the Post Oak Hilton.

Seems that should be a new law for our legislators. "If your business has a website, it must clearly show that if you have correctly posted .30-06 signs prohibiting firearms, failure to have the clear and obvious notice on the first page of your website in not less than 16 point type, shall result in the daily fine not less than $500 per day both notifications are not posted"

I like that.

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

I am very careful to not carry where legally posted. I do have some problem with not carrying in a place that is legally defined as my "castle" under law. I would think this would open them up to a greater liablility since Texas law defines ones hotel room as their castle under the castle doctrine. They should have no right to demand you be disarmed.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”