CHL and multiple registered vehicles.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
marful
Posts in topic: 1

CHL and multiple registered vehicles.

Post by marful »

I have a friend who is thinking of getting his CHL. He and his wife own two cars.
What happens if the wife is stopped by LEO, but she isn't CHL, but she didn't know,
until loading groceries 10 mins ago, that "the idiot" left his gun in the back of the car?
I shouldn't think here in Texas that would be much of an issue... we ARE allowed to own
and carry in our vehicles... but being the LP would come up "CHL"... Well, just wondering
how much she needs to "be aware."

speedsix

Re: CHL and multiple registered vehicles.

Post by speedsix »

...should be no problem...most of our Texas LEOs are not afraid of our carrying...and many are supportive...she should just tell it like it is and not worry...

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

I'd have a gun in each car.

Under the MPA/Motorist Protection Act, they need to be concealed.

She can get a CHL too, or not, doesn't matter.

So, I don't see any problem.

Why wouldn't she want to have one in there?

As long as plate doesn't come up "Stolen" I wouldn't worry about what a plate comes up as.

County Tax Assessor doesn't put CHL on my Plates which the DPS issues, I'd imagine my DPS-issued TDL info might contain the asterisk/notation about my DPS-issued CHL I don't think license plates are accepted as voter-ID either

As long as she doesn't use his drivers License ...
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

As others have said, she can have a gun in the car as long as she is legally allowed to posses it.

Now, I can tell you my wife would be furious if I left one in the car and she was unaware. The reason being is if for some reason she got stopped and told the officer 'No, there are no weapons in the car' and then for some odd reason he had a reason to search and found it, she would have a hard time explaining why she told the officer no. Then, she would end up on trial for murder because she would kill me the next time she saw me. ;-)

Bottom line, he should not leave a unsecured gun ANYWHERE, but she should not be in trouble if it is in there.

EDIT TO ADD: the License Plate does not show a CHL, only the drivers license check. The only way they may know ahead of time is of they do a second run of the individual's name that came back to the plate and it would show he has a CHL.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

marful wrote:What happens if the wife is stopped by LEO, but she isn't CHL, but she didn't know,
until loading groceries 10 mins ago, that "the idiot" left his gun in the back of the car?
Unless she is prohibited from possessing a firearm, nothing (bad) should happen.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80 ... 01815F.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bill is hard to read... the relevant section is a bit of a double-negative...
You commit an offense if you are NOT in your car.
MPA wrote:.....
(a) A person commits an offense if the person [he]
intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or
her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle
that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
IMO, IANAL
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

yogihat

Post by yogihat »

I know you are just posing the question. But that situation should never happen. A weapon should never be left or forgotten. It should be on your friends person or properly secured, no other options. Always practice safety and control of your weapons.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Keith beat me to it. CHL tied to TDL, not to LP.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Keith beat me to it. CHL tied to TDL, not to LP.
This
CHL pops up as a TCIC hit, so any time you are checked for warrants essentially, it will pop up.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Weapons must be secure at all times. This means in a secure storage or on your person or in your possession. "Carelessly" forgetting it in the back of the car, or anywhere is a big no-no, and wife should be outraged as she can be. Everything that can happen in that situation is bad, not even as good as a forward pass.

Women and children can be careless; men can't be. Didn't Don Corleone teach that?

I had a pistol stolen from my house when I unloaded the safe to move it to the garage while the flooring was being redone. A workman apparently took advantage of momentary inattention and it was gone. The pistol turned up a few mornings later loaded, under the seat of a car driven by a couple of punks who shouldn't have had a gun, at 3 AM in a high school parking lot across town. They claimed they bought it from "some dude." I finally got the pistol back, and the punks were sent for some stupid study at one of our finest post graduate institutions for professional hoodlums.

This was a lesson I will neither repeat nor forget.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

The license plate is not tied to your CHL. Your drivers license is. So the LP would trigger anything.

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tomtexan »

gigag04 wrote:This
CHL pops up as a TCIC hit, so any time you are checked for warrants essentially, it will pop up.
I believe that information is incorrect. It only comes up on a DL check, not a warrant check.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

texanron

Post by texanron »

tomtexan wrote:
I believe that information is incorrect. It only comes up on a DL check, not a warrant check.
Wouldn't they need to run the DL to do a warrant check though?
FYI.....giggag04 is a LEO.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

TCIC can be run by Name and DOB, and a CHL will show on it using that method as well.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 5

Post by wgoforth »

Recently, a local police Chief was interviewed on a local radio station. One of the questions asked was "Can someone carry a gun in their car?" He stated it had to be broken down, with ammo out of it. He was asked again if there wasn't a way to carry one loaded in the car and he said "Not without a CHL." Makes you wonder how many jusrisdictions are ignorant of (willfully or otherwise) of MPA.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

tomtexan wrote:
Believe as you wish.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”