Retail Theft question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

yogihat
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Retail Theft question

Post by yogihat »

[quote="03Lightningrocks"]
While we never know what is what these days when spotting two people in a confrontation, something in me just won't let me do the yankee thing and walk off.

I'm a Yankee and don't take kindly to your reference Sir :nono: (Yankee born but raised by a Mother from Tennessee)

Given the mentioned situation I probably would have jumped right in to help before reading this thread. Now I have much more to consider. Great points made by all. I do believe in helping if I can but also know that being armed takes more consideration with every situation now.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

yogihat wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote: While we never know what is what these days when spotting two people in a confrontation, something in me just won't let me do the yankee thing and walk off.

I'm a Yankee and don't take kindly to your reference Sir :nono: (Yankee born but raised by a Mother from Tennessee)

Given the mentioned situation I probably would have jumped right in to help before reading this thread. Now I have much more to consider. Great points made by all. I do believe in helping if I can but also know that being armed takes more consideration with every situation now.
Obviously, your mother raised you to overcome your origin of birth. My hat is off to her. :tiphat:

speedsix
Posts in topic: 16

Post by speedsix »

...he's just crowin' 'cause he was lucky enough to be born down here...some of US were smart enough to MOVE, yogihat!!!

03Lightningrocks

LOL... I was actually born in Kentucky.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...last I checked, that qualifies as "down here"...it sure ain't "up there"...

03Lightningrocks

speedsix wrote:...last I checked, that qualifies as "down here"...it sure ain't "up there"...
Thank You! I appreciate the compliment. We moved to Texas when I was ten years old and now I am 51. I am probably more Texan than Kentuckian. :mrgreen:

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...either state has a proud heritage...

Photoman

Post by Photoman »

It's not my fault Target sent a woman to do a man's job. :shock: "rlol" :lol::

sumyungai

Post by sumyungai »

You're not really in The South unless your local grocery sells Moon Pies.

i2ndshenanigans

Post by i2ndshenanigans »

74novaman wrote:So paid security people and random bystanders can forcibly detain people they think are shoplifting now?

Im not a litigious type, but if a rent a cop and a bystander used force to keep me somewhere, I'd be pressing charges for unlawful detainment and assault.

Another thing to consider before you jump into a situation like that.

Edit: to clarify...I know security guards can stop someone and ask to inspect their bags,ect. But as to wrestling around pinning someone down as stated in the OP... Isn't that overstepping their authority?

I did Assets Protection for Target a while back. Yes they can absolutely detain and handcuff someone that is stealing. The thing is they have to be 100% sure the person stole before they detain. If they do make a mistake they can be sued for an unlawful detention. Now from time to time we did get into physical confrontations with shoplifters but they were rare and if it was too dangerous it was store policy to disengage and just let the police handle it.

alvins

Post by alvins »

im surprised anyone would get involved with the sue happy people of today. Unless it was someone I knew personally like a family member or a good friend they are on their own. I wouldnt feel bad at all about turning around and keeping far from that situation.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”