True TABC signage

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LSL
Posts in topic: 2

True TABC signage

Post by LSL »

New topic offered to post VERIFIED errors of TABC posting at an active business, restaurant, etc.

Bride and I went this past week. No signage at entrance.
Walked in to be seated and saw 51% sign over bar, which was separated by glass and railing from dining area, so we continued to be seated and ate dinner.

Next day, I researched TABC Web site :txflag: to find the following listing.

In addition, I called TABC Houston District office to inquire whether there was an entity separate from the restaurant that owned/operated the bar.
Answer: No. One license only for that address/establishment.

Proceeded to submit a "complaint" so a TABC investigator would go out to review the establishment.

License #: MB713588

Trade Name: MO'S A PLACE FOR STEAKS
Owner: NARF HOU BEVERAGE COMPANY LLC
Location Address:
1801 POST OAK BOULEVARD '1E'
HOUSTON , TX 77056
Mailing Address:
3345 BEE CAVE RD STE 105
AUSTIN , TX 78746
County: Harris Orig. Issue Date: 1/30/2009
Wine Percent:
Location Phone No.: 7138770720 Gun Sign: BLUE
Subordinates: CB,FB,LB,PE
Related To:
Noli Voluntare Usque Vocaris / lsl
SA XDM 3.8c 9mm and Ruger LC9 -- each in a <tripleTholsters.com> IWB
Walther P22

Lambda Force

Re: True TABC signage

Post by Lambda Force »

As long as you're only reporting BLUE SIGN locations that post wrong I support your effort.

But reporting RED SIGN locations that post wrong is like telling a business owner their sign doesn't satisfy the 30.06 requirements.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Topic author
LSL

Post by LSL »

My thought is for CHL holders, not establishments, to be aware of WRONG posting.

For a CHL holder to be informed via errant postings here will permit informed choices.

To make an appropriate complaint to TABC would be up to the one who posts an error here. No need to talk to a business owner, who must comply with TABC.

No direct "private citizen to business" contact is encouraged by my starting this topic.

:txflag:
Noli Voluntare Usque Vocaris / lsl
SA XDM 3.8c 9mm and Ruger LC9 -- each in a <tripleTholsters.com> IWB
Walther P22

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

You can do what you want. I'm just pointing out that notifying TABC a RED SIGN location is posted wrong can result in TABC making them post the right sign. There doesn't seem to be any benefit to notifying TABC unless your intent is to make the location definitely off limits. That's a lot like notifying company management anonymously that their gun sign is wrong and here's what they need to post instead.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

tommyg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tommyg »

Join http://texas3006.com/ They are compiling lists of locations
that are posted. Don't report them to managers or the Alcoholic Beverage commission
it will stir up trouble for the rest of us. Most of the anti crowd don't know about proper signs.
CHL's are supposed to know where they can and can not carry.
Do not educate the enemy they will use the knowledge they get from us against us
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

howdy

Post by howdy »

LSL you did good. I really don't understand the reason for the other comments.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

TheMilkMan

Post by TheMilkMan »

I agree with letting their error stand. I do understand you trying to sort the signage out as not to scare off other CHLers not as up on the law as we are here, though. In all likely hood, the establishment just isn't up on the alcoholic beverage code and thought the %51 sign was what was required by law. Ive worked for a place where, they post signs with no idea why or the purpose of them just because they were afraid of the repercussions of not having them up. Maybe the TABC will hand them a bunch of new signs and say "here you go, post these instead" maybe the officer will explain the reasons behind everything and the owner/manager will decide he should 30.06 the place instead. Why risk it.

On the personal side (being a bar manager), if the situation currently lets you legally carry, its cruel to send in a complaint about an establishment (for that purpose). It may be the deciding factor to have TABC roll in and audit the place. And that ain't cool. Even when all their stuff is in order, it's a pain. If I suspected a group (CHLers) got me audited, I would certainly not be sympathetic to their plight.

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

howdy wrote:LSL you did good. I really don't understand the reason for the other comments.
I agree with you as well LSL. While I, as a CHL holder in Texas, are expected to know the laws pertainng to CHL, I also expect establishments dealing with the TABC to know the laws pertaining to the particular signs theTABC requires.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

Lambda Force wrote:As long as you're only reporting BLUE SIGN locations that post wrong I support your effort.

But reporting RED SIGN locations that post wrong is like telling a business owner their sign doesn't satisfy the 30.06 requirements.
I personally WILL report a red sign business that does not have a 51% sign posted. The reason being is you are still illegal carrying in a 51% location, even if they don't have a sign or the wrong sign up. As a CHL you only get a defense to prosecution. That means you may take the ride and have to fight the fact that you didn't know it was off-limits as there was no sign.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Keith B wrote:
Lambda Force wrote:As long as you're only reporting BLUE SIGN locations that post wrong I support your effort.

I personally WILL report a red sign business that does not have a 51% sign posted. The reason being is you are still illegal carrying in a 51% location, even if they don't have a sign or the wrong sign up. As a CHL you only get a defense to prosecution. That means you may take the ride and have to fight the fact that you didn't know it was off-limits as there was no sign.
Riddle me this, if a place had a 51% sign and was not supposed to have it, and by some chance an LEO caught you carrying does he rely on the sign or does he check with TABC?
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

But----if a place has an incorrect red 51% sign up and you carry anyway-wouldn't you be just as "guilty" for going against their sign? You don't know what kind of license they have and the only way you have to determine is the sign.
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

JustMe wrote: You don't know what kind of license they have and the only way you have to determine is the sign.
This was true until recently, you can now check the businesses certificate at: http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/training_an ... nquiry.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

steveincowtown wrote:
Keith B wrote:

Riddle me this, if a place had a 51% sign and was not supposed to have it, and by some chance an LEO caught you carrying does he rely on the sign or does he check with TABC?
I would assume that they would go by the sign. At that point you would still have to prove it was not a 51% location to the DA. I would think that one would be much easier to do. And, an improper sign does NOT make a place illegal to carry at, in case anyone wonders.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

JustMe wrote:But----if a place has an incorrect red 51% sign up and you carry anyway-wouldn't you be just as "guilty" for going against their sign? You don't know what kind of license they have and the only way you have to determine is the sign.
I answered in my post above. The sign does not make it off limits. It is the license that does. And if you don't want to check the database, the license is to be posted in the business where it is visible and you can see if it says SIGN=RED or SIGN=BLUE
Keith

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

Keith B wrote:
JustMe wrote:But----if a place has an incorrect red 51% sign up and you carry anyway-wouldn't you be just as "guilty" for going against their sign? You don't know what kind of license they have and the only way you have to determine is the sign.
I answered in my post above. The sign does not make it off limits. It is the license that does. And if you don't want to check the database, the license is to be posted in the business where it is visible and you can see if it says SIGN=RED or SIGN=BLUE
I understand that--but if I walk into a restaurant and see a red sign, even tho I THINK that I'm Sure it is incorrect--and don't have access to the database right that minute----See why having the incorrect sign can be confusing!!!
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”