Retail Theft question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ralewis
Posts in topic: 3

Retail Theft question

Post by ralewis »

My neighbor just today was at a Target in the Austin area and intervened when the store security guard (female) was struggling to detain a guy who tried to run when she suspected he was shoplifting. He does not have a CHL. He helped physically detain the individual until Austin PD arrived. There wasn't a weapon involved, but their was a pretty big difference in size between the alleged shoplifter and security guard. She was struggling to control him, and it's likely he'd have gotten away if my neighbor didn't assist.

My question is what is the consensus on the appropriate response when carrying in a situation like this? I'd be inclined to help has he did, but a thought I had when he told me today about this was the possibility of losing control of my carry gun in a scuffle. It didn't seem like a deadly force situation, so introducing the weapon wouldn't have seemed like the right thing to do.

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Retail Theft question

Post by AEA »

You are correct in your thinking. No weapon, move on to the next isle and continue your shopping.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Would never draw my gun if deadly force not justified. In this case it wasn't.

I personally would not involve myself in a scuffle. Then again, I'm 50, female, have a bum ankle, and lots of people counting on me still for various needs. Probably the best thing I could do would be to get a good description of the BG and/or a description/license plate of the vehicle.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Target PAYS people to serve as security for Target's assets.

I am NOT one of those people.

Nuff said.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

speedsix
Posts in topic: 16

Post by speedsix »

...I might have said loudly "Let him go...it's not worth you getting hurt!!!"...I might not have even said that...

Jusster

Post by Jusster »

I wouldn't get involved in the situation either. In fact I was at Walmart just the other day picking up some ammo and security was chasing some guy thru the store (not sure why and didn't really care). I just kept aware of my surroundings and exited the store with my purchase.

Jusster

Munk

Post by Munk »

I'm not on the payroll. Unless there was an intent to harm me or my family I am still looking for the blue light special...
III%

Topic author
ralewis
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ralewis »

TxLobo wrote:I'm thinking.. No..

if the female (security or not) is hollering for help, then yes, I would assist.. but helping a civilian loss prevention employee.. that kinda crosses the line and opens you up to some legal areas..

I'm really surprised that Target would have a loss prevention agent that would physically detain a shoplifter.. most stores have a hands off policy if the shoplifter becomes abusive or confrontational..

As stated in the forum before... my plastic didn't come with a cape. I don't work for the police or the store..
That was the scenario. She was struggling and when my friend walked by she asked for help. As several posters said, the best case would be to not get involved as it wasn't a deadly force situation. I'd not ignore a plea for help, but I would be concerned about having a weapon and being in a scuffle. I guess if it ever happens to me, I'll have to make a decision based on the scenario.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...I wouldn't physically help unless someone's life was obviously in danger or the shoplifter produced a knife or gun...
...the posted situation is MUCH different from if a real cop was asking for help...in which case I'd do all I could to rassle him down...
...if the loss prevention employee couldn't handle someone for lack of training...the sooner she finds it out, the sooner she finds her true calling...which ISN'T loss prevention...I think if I owned a store...the only thing I'd let my employees do is take a good picture of the shoplifter's face and call 911...nothing gained by even speaking to them...and given the mindset of a lot of thieves today, even THAT could spark a violent outburst...

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I hate thieves and shoplifters. They should get what's coming to them through the legal system. I am in no way obligated to help store security or even law enforcement. Take cell phone pics.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Big Meg

Post by Big Meg »

Crossfire wrote:Target PAYS people to serve as security for Target's assets.

I am NOT one of those people.

Nuff said.

+1

74novaman
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 74novaman »

So paid security people and random bystanders can forcibly detain people they think are shoplifting now?

Im not a litigious type, but if a rent a cop and a bystander used force to keep me somewhere, I'd be pressing charges for unlawful detainment and assault.

Another thing to consider before you jump into a situation like that.

Edit: to clarify...I know security guards can stop someone and ask to inspect their bags,ect. But as to wrestling around pinning someone down as stated in the OP... Isn't that overstepping their authority?
TANSTAAFL

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...nope...they can do it...even handcuffing...but they'd BETTER GET IT RIGHT...or they can face criminal charges...and the store's liability is bottomless...

Rikk101

Post by Rikk101 »

I once saw a manager of a House Of Pies restaurant chase down a drunk who was walking his tab and physically tackle him in the parking lot. :headscratch I thought that this was rather extreme at the time. (I surely would not have helped him)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”