CHL Holders: What do you carry? How do you conceal?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ShaneHD
Posts in topic: 4

CHL Holders: What do you carry? How do you conceal?

Post by ShaneHD »

As I wait for my plastic to get here, I am looking at what I want to conceal and carry. I currently own two Sig Sauer p250's (one is a p250c) but both are somewhat bulky and hard to conceal imprinting. I am 6' 195lbs and am rather lanky and skinny.

I've been thinking of the Sig Sauer p232, Ruger LC9 or LCP, or something else. What do you all suggest?

Also, how do you all conceal?

snatchel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL Holders: What do you carry? How do you conceal?

Post by snatchel »

You can conceal any one of those pistols... I am a smallish guy at 5'7 and 170 lbs.. and concealing full sized semi-auto's is no problem.

Don't worry about printing... it isn't even defined in the Texas laws. Keep it covered up, and go on about your business :) They won't ask, and you don't tell. Seriously. I wear t-shirts that are fairly snug, and you can all but make out "GLOCK" that is printed on the slide of my G30. No one cares... If they see it.. and they dont.. they will assume it's a cell phone, lump in clothing, etc. That's gospel truth.

That being said, just get a good IWB holster.. and a gunbelt that keeps everything put together and in it's place on your belt.

Glock 30- Theiss Holster (kydex/leather hybrid)
Glock 26-Theiss Holster (kydex/leather hybrid)
Ruger SP101- Shielded Holsters Double Phalanx (kydex/leather hybrid)

Those are what I normally carry.
No More Signature

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Kahr PM40 w/tritium sights mostly. I have Hoffner IWB but I usually carry unholstered in my right front jeans pocket. I have even carried in dress pants that way. Sometimes My S&W Mod 60. I'm 6' 1-1/2" and 220. I am not lanky :biggrinjester:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Welcome to our community!

An LCP in a pocket holster will easily disappear into dress, casual, or jean pants. Larger handguns conceal fairly easily in an IWB (inside waist band) holster such as a Crossbreed Supertuck. I carry a full size 1911 45 quite easily with no one noticing.

It's like learning to ride a bike. You get your courage up. Start trying. You get more confident. Soon you are easily carrying concealed. It's a learning process, so don't feel badly. Everyone starts and everyone gets better.

Again welcome! :tiphat:
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

DocV

Post by DocV »

I have a LC9 but carry a 1911. The LC9 just doesn't do the job for me.
I use a OWB high rise holster and use a sports coat as a cover garment.
I am not a huge person. 5' 8" according to my doctor and 165 pounds.

An important thing to know is nobody really pays attention -
although LEOs other CHLers and, probably, BGs know what to look for.
Pick the firearm that you are most likely to carry and then work out whatever
concealment issues appear.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Welcome to the forum ShaneHD.

Here's a few suggestions and maybe a prediction.

1. While you might think a full size gun is difficult to conceal, you'd be surprised at how little the average person pays attention. I carried a full size Glock 22 OWB and in a shoulder holster for a few months until I got a Glock 27. I currently have been carrying a full size Glock 21SF OWB since September and have not been discovered.

2. Change your dress habits just a little and no one will be the wiser.

3. You might start out with some less expensive holsters or belts, but in the end you will likely find that the old axiom "You get what you pay for" is mostly true. A good holster and at least decent gun belt can make a big difference. I currently only have one gun belt and wear it as much as possible. I really need at least two more in a different color and style to go with the different attire when called for.

4. Try out some things before your license arrives around the house or apartment and see what works for you and to get used to having it on.

BTW, I also am 6' and about 200 lbs. I do have a slightly less athletic build now than a few years ago, but my waist is still smaller than my hips and chest, so it's not too hard to hide my Glock. I also carry two spare mags on my left side. With a good gun belt they aren't really that necessary, but they do kind of balance things out.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
ShaneHD
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ShaneHD »

Great responses! Thank you all so far.

Texas10X

Post by Texas10X »

Wecome to the forum! You've already gotten several good suggestions ranging from pocket carry to IWB, so I will just wish you good luck with finding what works best for you!
Last edited by Texas10X on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

In this order.

1. Holster
2. belt
3. proper clothing (dress around)

IWB holster of High quality, A good gun belt and dress around it as much as you can depending on your required attire at work.

Leather holsters I LOVE Galco and all of my belts are also Galco.

Kydex hybrid holsters, Crossbred and Comp tac.

I basically think that 50 dollars for a good holster is cheap. Good belts can be had from 20 bucks or dress work belts like Galco for up to 65. Don't skimp on these and it will help. I carry a Glock 20 iwb all day long. It is easy to carry my Glock 27 and I sometimes forget it is there. I don't pocket carry as a primary unless I have to. It takes to long for me to draw IMO. I do carry a back up in my pocket or an ankle holster.

A-R

Post by A-R »

CC Italian wrote:In this order.

1. Holster
2. belt
3. proper clothing (dress around)

IWB holster of High quality, A good gun belt and dress around it as much as you can depending on your required attire at work.

Leather holsters I LOVE Galco and all of my belts are also Galco.

Kydex hybrid holsters, Crossbred and Comp tac.

I basically think that 50 dollars for a good holster is cheap. Good belts can be had from 20 bucks or dress work belts like Galco for up to 65. Don't skimp on these and it will help. I carry a Glock 20 iwb all day long. It is easy to carry my Glock 27 and I sometimes forget it is there. I don't pocket carry as a primary unless I have to. It takes to long for me to draw IMO. I do carry a back up in my pocket or a ankle holster.

:iagree:

great advice the OP should follow

I recommend anyone serious about CC have a minimum of two distinct carry weapons/choices that will cover as many concealment needs as possible. Carry a larger belt carry gun whenever possible (your Sigs would fit this category), and then have a smaller gun available for pocket carry, ankle carry, Kangaroo carry, tucked IWB carry - whatever is your preferred method(s) of deep concealment - this is where a snub-nose revolver, LCP-size .380 or similar come in very handy. I try very hard to carry this type of gun as primary as little as possible, but when you have to you have to and it's good to have the option. Plus these little guns make great BUGs (back up guns) when you're carrying your main sidewarm on your belt you can still have the lil gun in pocket, on ankle, etc.

But first, follow CC Italian's advice and get a proper tuckable IWB holster and belt for the Sig (and possibly some new/better concealment garments if necessary)

rescuetech

Post by rescuetech »

Monday - Friday
*Bodyguard .380 in a Desanti pocket holster all of which fits perfectly in my right cargo pocket

Sat. - Sun. (and any holiday)
* Various firearms all of which live in pancake holsters (all OWB) between the 3 & 4 o'clock positions

:fire

steve817

Post by steve817 »

A full size PX4 Storm 9mm in a Crossbreed Supertuck.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott in Houston »

As has been said, you will be shocked at what you can carry and nobody will notice.
I'm convinced that I could carry almost an AR under my clothes with no questions asked.
I've gotten so used to it, and so amazed at the public's inability to perceive a gun in concealment, that at times, I have to concentrate in order to not be careless and expose my sidearm.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

5'11"
180#
32" waist

Full sized S&W M&P .40
Crossbreed Supertuck
Wilderness Instructor CSM belt

No problems!
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

stroguy

Post by stroguy »

95% of the time it is my SW442 with an LCP in my front pocket or cargo pocket. Every once in awhile I carry my full size 1911 9MM, but being steel it is just to heavy for me for everyday. I am now alternating with my recent arrival an Ultra Cary II from Kimber in .45ACP. My waist holsters are OWB, I just could not get used to IWB. Welcome to the forum, a lot of cool people here.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”