Dogs and Texas CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dogs and Texas CHL

Post by Liberty »

Taggart wrote:I don't believe dogs are eligible to own property in Texas.
My cat will be glad to rear this.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ruark »

Actually I was a teacher for 12 years. Let me ask this another way... Under Texas law, are yo u legally justified in shooting a dog that is attacking your dog, in an urban area, if you have a CHL?
-Ruark

JCole
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JCole »

Yes. Jumping Frog quoted the relevant statute in Post #4. Having a CHL doesn't make any difference; Texas CHL-specific laws regarding deadly force apply to humans.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetfo ... CHL-16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MasterOfNone »

JCole wrote:Yes. Jumping Frog quoted the relevant statute in Post #4. Having a CHL doesn't make any difference; Texas CHL-specific laws regarding deadly force apply to humans.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetfo ... CHL-16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Actually, there aren't CHL-specific laws regarding deadly force. Though PC ch 9 is in the CHL-16, it is not CHL-specific. The justifications for deadly force apply to everyone.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

JCole

Post by JCole »

Good point; poor choice of wording on my part...

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

As best I understand it, deadly force statutes apply to humans. As was stated before, dogs are chattel. :fire I would be more concerned with the owner after the shooting. :boxing

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Ruark wrote:Actually I was a teacher for 12 years. Let me ask this another way... Under Texas law, are yo u legally justified in shooting a dog that is attacking your dog, in an urban area, if you have a CHL?
Well, I already quoted you the statute that says you are allowed to shoot an attacking dog. In that post, I also said you would use a necessity defense to address discharging a firearm in city limits.

Since you are still asking about "legally justified", here is what I meant by the "necessity defense":
Sec. 9.22. NECESSITY. Conduct is justified if:(1) the actor reasonably believes the conduct is immediately necessary to avoid imminent harm;(2) the desirability and urgency of avoiding the harm clearly outweigh, according to ordinary standards of reasonableness, the harm sought to be prevented by the law proscribing the conduct; and(3) a legislative purpose to exclude the justification claimed for the conduct does not otherwise plainly appear.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

I posted my feeling about dogs showing aggressive behavior in another thread. Based on a recent encounter I have zero tolerance for any animal 'threatening' my well being. I am an animal lover and recently adopted an abandoned puppy.

If a person was standing in front of me with a deadly weapon and threatening to attack me, would I be justified in defending my life? Am I required to discern if they are only trying to scare me and may not really mean what they are demonstrating? Am I required to retreat, if I am at a location that I am legally allowed to be? Why is it different, if an animal is brandishing a lethal weapon (teeth) and showing signs of attacking (threatening) me? What if it is a coyote or wolf (members of the same species--canine)?

I value life of humans and animals alike. I value the life of my family and myself more than any that is threatening to to us harm.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

StuffandThings

Post by StuffandThings »

The original question has been asked before but I'm not sure I've ever seen it answered in terms of anyone pointing out the law allowing it. I've often wondered the same thing.

You can shoot a dog attacking livestock or fowl. Check.
You can shoot a dangerous wild animal defined by Section 822.101, Health and Safety Code. Check.
I completely agree with anyone who says common sense says I will shoot first to protect myself and my family against an attacking Pit Bull and ask questions later. Check.

Still, I'd like to know if I'm going to jail for doing so. Dogs may be chattel but let's be honest there are cruelty laws on the books so you can't go around killing said chattel whenever you feel like it. So back to the original question, is there a Texas law that addresses attacking dogs? I remember my CHL class saying this was acceptable. Great, but where is the law? Or is there one?

alvins

Post by alvins »

my father just sprays them with mace. it works quite well. though i would shoot one attacking me only if i thought it really was going to bite me.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 7

Post by speedsix »

Ruark wrote:Actually I was a teacher for 12 years. Let me ask this another way... Under Texas law, are yo u legally justified in shooting a dog that is attacking your dog, in an urban area, if you have a CHL?

...if you don't like or understand the answer given you by Jumping Frog...there is no other answer...it's clear enough,if you stay focused on it...he quoted the law...

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

StuffandThings wrote:The original question has been asked before but I'm not sure I've ever seen it answered in terms of anyone pointing out the law allowing it. I've often wondered the same thing.

You can shoot a dog attacking livestock or fowl. Check.
You can shoot a dangerous wild animal defined by Section 822.101, Health and Safety Code. Check.
I completely agree with anyone who says common sense says I will shoot first to protect myself and my family against an attacking Pit Bull and ask questions later. Check.

Still, I'd like to know if I'm going to jail for doing so. Dogs may be chattel but let's be honest there are cruelty laws on the books so you can't go around killing said chattel whenever you feel like it. So back to the original question, is there a Texas law that addresses attacking dogs? I remember my CHL class saying this was acceptable. Great, but where is the law? Or is there one?

...please re-read the post made by Jumping Frog...he both linked and quoted the law that answered the OP's question and yours...

...that law does not specify livestock or fowl...read it again...it specifies "livestock, domestic animals, or fowl"...the words you skipped over answer your question...every word in law is important...(and dogs and cats are domestic animals)

...the necessity law JF later quoted SHOULD keep you out of trouble if you're in the city when you have to shoot...or at least aid you in your defense...there is no guarantee how your case would be decided...

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

StuffandThings wrote:So back to the original question, is there a Texas law that addresses attacking dogs? I remember my CHL class saying this was acceptable. Great, but where is the law? Or is there one?
There are many. It depends who or what they're attacking and where they are. If your dog is attacking a burglar in your home, the burglar isn't justified in shooting your dog. If your dog is attacking Popeye's chickens in Popeye's back yard, he is justified in shooting your dog.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...oh, great...now I'm hungry... :biggrinjester:

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Ameer wrote:Dogs aren't eligible for a Texas CHL. http://bit.ly/wtzm4m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First thought through my mind as well. :lol:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”