NYC testing a device to recognized concealed handguns

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

urnoodle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NYC testing a device to recognized concealed handguns

Post by urnoodle »

Ok maybe I'm being overly simplistic about this but the use of this "detector" sounds like a search without provocation which would fall under the 4th ammendment.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Another example of how the government is removing it's citizens of their constitutional rights.
U R Noodle
CHL since 1/26/2012 - 41 days mailbox to mailbox

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

stroguy wrote:Just have a fake heat signature in the shape of handgun, when the police stop and seize and search resist like a baboon. After discharge from the hospital, sue the city, win, retire. American dream completed.

that is priceless
:hurry:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dragonfighter »

Next, we will all be strapping on portable chaff/flare dispensers.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

urnoodle wrote:Ok maybe I'm being overly simplistic about this but the use of this "detector" sounds like a search without provocation which would fall under the 4th ammendment.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Another example of how the government is removing it's citizens of their constitutional rights.
My thought exactly. It's one thing to get searched because you are entering the "secure area" of an airport (even TSA agents get screened) and a whole 'nother to get scanned just because you are on a public street.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

stroguy wrote:Just have a fake heat signature in the shape of handgun, when the police stop and seize and search resist like a baboon. After discharge from the hospital, sue the city, win, retire. American dream completed.
One potential snag - the cop's throw-down gun. We are talking NYC after all.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

TxSheepdog

Post by TxSheepdog »

Dragonfighter wrote:Next, we will all be strapping on portable chaff/flare dispensers.
"Deedle..Deedle..Deedle..Deedle!!!"

He's got a lock! Chaff! Chaff!

"rlol"
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Ashlar

Post by Ashlar »

Blatant warrantless search.

NYPD is already hip deep in unconstitutional 'stop and frisk' violations of the fourth.

90% of those 'stopped and frisked' are not arrested, and it just so happens that 85% of those stopped are non-white. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Alright, after doing even MORE reading, I see that the device indeed uses terahertz radiation. So, it does NOT work the same as infrared. Still, it would seem it will detect ANY metal object, such as the multitools I mentioned in a previous reply. I am all for law enforcement having the tools to catch bad guys...but when I say bad guys, I mean just that. I'm talking murderers, rapists, thieves, etc. And while bad guys of those sorts might have a firearm on them (and likely do), they are not the only ones. I'm really starting to see this as a violation of the Fourth Amendment waiting to happen. This needs to be addressed in OUR state legislature BEFORE these devices get into common circulation. There MUST be limits on the government's power, otherwise we'll just all start calling each other "comrade" and waving hammer 'n' sickle flags around...

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

I bet sequins sewn in would make them nuts.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

tboesche

Post by tboesche »

TxSheepdog wrote:
Dragonfighter wrote:Next, we will all be strapping on portable chaff/flare dispensers.
"Deedle..Deedle..Deedle..Deedle!!!"

He's got a lock! Chaff! Chaff!

"rlol"
You owe me a new monitor! :smash:
"Water's, wet, The sky is blue. And old Satan Claws, He's out there, and he's just getting stronger." Joe Halenbeck
"So what do we do about it?" Jimmie Dix
"Be prepared, Junior, That's my motto, Be Prepared". Joe Halenbeck

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

this would be just wonderful. all the citizens will be walking around with their heads buried in their iphones, while the cops are all walking around with their heads looking down at this detection device. does anyone take the time anymore to just enjoy the sights and sounds of the world around them?

and i seriously hope this never makes its way to Texas, if it does miraculously turn out to be a feasible way of determining if bad guys have guns (a REAL long shot there). it'll be annoying having to present my CHL every time an LEO detects that i'm carrying. might as well just go ahead and issue CHL badges :lol:

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I see a lot of potential for abuse. If you think you have a right to
be free from unreasonable search go to the Airport and see how far your rights will go.

In a place like New Hampshire where the gun laws are easy the police harass
legal carriers routinely (I stayed in New Hampshire for 11 years) the police will detect guns and
harass those who carry legally. This will deter concealed carry the BG will find a way around it like maybe
aluminum foil behind the gun to disguise the shape.
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

steve817

Post by steve817 »

I was thinking about cutting some letters out of aluminum foil and pasting them to an undershirt. Maybe a nice little Steve style greeting to Bloomberg that I of course can't post here.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

PeteCamp

Post by PeteCamp »

IF it detects handguns, how will they be sure the person they searched is not hiz royal highness lord mayor Bloomberg? Or one of his bodyguards? :shock:

stroguy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stroguy »

I guess you could just get your forearm tattooed to identify yourself, religion, political affiliation and so on.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”