Tell me where I was in the wrong...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Tell me where I was in the wrong...

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

You can put all the lead you want through your target, but they forbid Sharpies???

That is just plain bizarre.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
Shinesintx
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Shinesintx »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:You can put all the lead you want through your target, but they forbid Sharpies???

That is just plain bizarre.

SIA
Something else that was weird...was there prices on Golden Sabers HP's. At cheaper than dirt, for a box of 25...I paid:

380- $16 CC wanted over 30 bucks
9mm- $15 CC $25
40- $15 CC $35
45- $15 CC wanted 45 buck

Carter Country also said they had not seen 357 Sig in over a year. It was weird compared to what I see in Dallas.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 21

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Even without a 30:06 sign, I am thinking, the instant you pull out the firearm, you break the law. That would be called, intentional failure to conceal. Yes??? No??? Maybe???

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VoiceofReason »

I have carried concealed in that store numerous times and I believe a couple of clerks were made aware of it on a couple of occasions. It stays concealed in the holster and no one has said anything about it.

I once took it in for the express reason to have someone look at it during the warranty period. Before going in I made sure it was completely empty and had the bright orange plug in it that shows the chamber is empty.

If you look at the counter top where you check in, there is a hole in the counter top and one in the ceiling overhead. The lady behind the counter told me the counter top hole was a .22 and the guy was being a real jerk about having to unload it up to the “bang” point. :oops: The one in the ceiling was another incident with a rifle. :eek6

Thunder gun range also charges by the gun or number of people whichever is higher. They don’t “tag” guns. The prices per gun or person is very low. You can only use targets they sell and that is how they make their money. I have put stick on paper “dots” over the holes so I could use them a second time and no one said anything.

I don’t mind the charges per target because they have spent a lot of money improving the range tremendously since I started shooting there.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

mreavis wrote:I work at a range here in Austin, Texas. You were in no wrong legally. Technically you broke there policy but unless they ask you to leave it means nothing except a slap on the wrist. The fact that they do not know what a 30.06 sign is says a lot about the knowledge level of there employees. We are pro CHL holders where I work. There is a sign on the door that says all weapons must be unloaded and actions locked back on the door, but it is not intended for CHL holders. All we ask is that you keep it on your hip and out of sight until you pull it off -downrange- to shoot on your lane. And considering you had all that planned out anyway I think you were totally in the right. Again though, I find it very unappealing that a range didn't know what a 30.06 sign was and did not support CHL holders. No Bueno.
^^^^ This.

Bottom line, I would vote with my $$, and never shoot at a place like CC.. Not even on a range visit out of town. I take one or more guns with me when I travel, even if not allowed to CC, I take one for the motel room, and or vehicle travel, and I always try and find a range to shoot at.
I’ll play visiting range games to a point. But from what I just read, CC would be one I’d walk away from without a second thought.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Officer/Judge, the "ignorant woman employee" advised me to "break the law" to comply with "store policy" ...

So, I intentionally failed to conceal ... because she didn't know any better and it's her fault I was just following her instructions.

Judge: Good thing she didn't advise unloading by repeatedly pulling the "eject empty casings switch" before entering the door.

However, she isn't on trial ...

-----------------------------------------
Question/issue might become
When going to a range, inside that property, aren't even non-chls then carrying "for a lawful purpose" rather than under the CHL after entering practice area.... those without a CHL carried in, but unloaded and loaded in there ... .... kinda a blurry line if carrying 1 under a chl, for protection in case store robbed and carrying to practice ... which doorway switches from chl to practice area for those even without needing a chl...

I dunno

<Shoulder shrugging emoticon smiley thingamajig>

Carrying 2 guns, one concealed and one unloaded to "claim" should cover legal, but Store might get upset at "policy" you didn't "claim" the other ..

I haven't been to an indoor range in years. I like livin out in the Country :cool:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

stroguy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stroguy »

I am going to have to throw in the 'ok that's enough about the unloaded policy at CC and if you don't like it move on.'

CC policy is to have the weapon you want to shoot at the range unloaded, breaches and bolts open before entering the store so they can be checked in at the counter in a safe manner for you, employees and customers. I respect that fully. There are no CHL restrictions such as an 30.06 sign, so carry away, I do. But if you want to shoot your carry that day unload it in the lot. When I go to CC to shoot out of convenience I can carry upwards of 5 pistols. Guess who carries those in pistols in for me? My boys. Imagine the discomfort of everyone if my 14 year old was whipping out my 1911 to clear the barrel and let loose the magazine there in the store? Gander Mountain in Spring operates the same way.

As far as charging per gun/per shooter I have a hard time with, but CC is a stone throw away so sometimes it works for my convenience.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Oldgringo »

My local gun/pawn shop has such a sign on the door and I figured it was meant for folk pawning or trading or selling guns, not for law abiding Texas CH licensees such as moi.

Come to think of it, I've seen that sign on other gun places and never given it much thought. Hmmm...

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Even without a 30:06 sign, I am thinking, the instant you pull out the firearm, you break the law. That would be called, intentional failure to conceal. Yes??? No??? Maybe???
If it is, then we all break the law when we pull a pistol out of our range bag.
CHL-16 wrote:PC §46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY. (a) Sections 46.02 and 46.03 do
not apply to:
<snip>
(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity
on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en
route between the premises and the actor's residence or motor
vehicle, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

If a range has a policy like that they get treated the same as 30.06 businesses including gunshows.

Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

mreavis

Post by mreavis »

stroguy wrote:I am going to have to throw in the 'ok that's enough about the unloaded policy at CC and if you don't like it move on.'

CC policy is to have the weapon you want to shoot at the range unloaded, breaches and bolts open before entering the store so they can be checked in at the counter in a safe manner for you, employees and customers. I respect that fully. There are no CHL restrictions such as an 30.06 sign, so carry away, I do. But if you want to shoot your carry that day unload it in the lot. When I go to CC to shoot out of convenience I can carry upwards of 5 pistols. Guess who carries those in pistols in for me? My boys. Imagine the discomfort of everyone if my 14 year old was whipping out my 1911 to clear the barrel and let loose the magazine there in the store? Gander Mountain in Spring operates the same way.

As far as charging per gun/per shooter I have a hard time with, but CC is a stone throw away so sometimes it works for my convenience.
Yeah unloading in the lot is the best way to go about that in places you cannot pull your concealed carry off on your lane. Although, many being CHL holders themselves and knowing the large amount of "gun-buster" type signs we have to ignore to exercise our full rights to carry; it surprises me that they do not put up a specific sign for CHL holders with those instructions. As they will likely ignore the all guns must be unloaded and actions locked back being that it has no legal authority over a CHL holders licensed rights. I myself either try to follow all policies I am aware of or just not go to that place. Wouldn't suggest anyone pushes their luck carrying anyway.

yogihat

Post by yogihat »

I have gone to many gun ranges in several different states and each one seems to have their own rules that some may deem silly. Bottom line to me is they operate a business where people bring and use firearms. Some of those people have little to no experience with a weapon. The owners are not mind readers and cannot possibly tell who will be safe and who would not. If I see that sign, I go back to my vehicle and disarm/clear my weapon before entry out of respect for that ranges policy. Once inside, I ask if the policy applies also to CHL holders. Then I know for sure what to do next time I go to that place. Just my two cents. Happy shooting.

mlawler

Post by mlawler »

C-dub wrote:
Shinesintx wrote: What was also weird, was that they freaked out when I mentioned the word "Sharpie"...its against the rules to make marks on your target.
Not that I would have even made it to the bench with the other rules in place, but if for some reason I did this one would push me right over the edge. I would pack up my stuff and walk right out and tell everyone I could not to go to that place. That's just insane!
If it's MY target, I can do whatever the HECK I want to on it!!! I once had a run it with a range nazi over picking up MY brass for an odd ball caliber I was shooting and planning to reload. That's another pet peeve of mine! :mad5

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 3

Post by baldeagle »

The Garland Shooting Range allows you to CC to your station, then unholster and prepare for your shooting practice. I know because I called and asked them BEFORE I went there. The Bullet Trap has a clearly visible sign that says no loaded weapons are allowed. I'm surprised you think you can carry a loaded weapon into their store, CC or not. If a store has a policy that they don't allow loaded weapons, then you disrespect the store by carrying a loaded weapon. The store owner or staff has the right to ask you to leave immediately, and if you don't comply, you can be charged with trespassing. After all, it's a private business. They can make any rules they want, and you can choose to go elsewhere if you think their rules are goofy, silly, ridiculous, offensive or whatever.

If I go to the Bullet Trap to shoot my EDC, I unload and remove the magazine in the car before entering the store. As CHL holders our primary duty is to uphold the law in all situations. That means we either obey the wishes of business owners or we don't shop there. A shop that has a sign that says no loaded weapons allowed has made their intentions crystal clear. It has nothing to do with 30.06 or our rights as CHL holders.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

baldeagle wrote: I'm surprised you think you can carry a loaded weapon into their store, CC or not.
If it is not 30.06 posted, it is no different than a "no guns" sign on any other store.
Walk right past, Concealed.
However I agree that if you are going to shoot your concealed carry, then you need to respect the signage and take it in empty.
baldeagle wrote:The store owner or staff has the right to ask you to leave immediately, and if you don't comply, you can be charged with trespassing. After all, it's a private business
Agreed, but again, if it is concealed and going to remain concealed, as long as they do not ask you to leave (they have to see it to reprimand you for it, concealed is concealed), then you are good to carry.
baldeagle wrote:They can make any rules they want, and you can choose to go elsewhere if you think their rules are goofy, silly, ridiculous, offensive or whatever
I have to ask, do you ever walk past a "no guns" sticker, or do you go disarm?
Me, I follow the laws of the Great State of Texas. It says if it is not PROPERLY 30.06, not 51% or a few other limitations, then I can carry, and do not feel that I am disrespecting them.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”