Tell me where I was in the wrong...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Shinesintx
Posts in topic: 10

Tell me where I was in the wrong...

Post by Shinesintx »

Please tell me where I was in the wrong. I really am not sure if I was legally right or wrong for CCing my pistol into to Carter Country on 1960 in Houston the other day. I had never been there before, and wanted to shoot my P238 while I was in town visiting family.

Before I entered Carter Country, I briefly scanned the signs outside of their entrance. They have 7 or 8 signs, I did not read them because I did not see 30.06 posted. When I shoot at the Bullet trap in Plano, I have never encountered an issue CCing my CW. Walked in and waited in line to pay my range fee, the conversation went something like this:

WBC= Woman behind counter

Me: I'd like to pay for a lane
WBC: What are you gonna shoot?
Me: Paper targets with 380's.
WBC: No, what gun are you gonna shoot?
Me: A Sig P238.
WBC: No, I mean where is the gun you are going to shoot?
Me: Oh, ok, I am wearing it and was going to take it out once I reached my lane.
WBC: You cannot do that in here.
Me: Why?
WBC: The signs outside say that you cannot bring a loaded gun into the store.
Me: I looked before I entered, I did not see a 30.06 sign.
WBC: Whats that?
Me: The only legal signage that prevents me from concealed carry.
WBC: I dont know what that is. Do you even have a license to carry?
Me: (Flashes my Utah permit)
WBC: Are you from Utah?
Me: No mam.
WBC: Then why do you have a Utah license?
Me: Personal reasons that I would prefer not to discuss.
WBC: Have you ever shown that license to a cop?
Me: Yes mam, once in Oklahoma and three times here in Texas.
WBC: (Puts the tag thingy on my trigger guard) Dont ever bring a loaded gun into this store again.
Me: Yes mam, thank you.

Was I in the wrong to take the weapon into the business loaded? Did the conversation that took place constitute "verbal notification?" Thanks for your help.

stroguy
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Tell me where I was in the wrong...

Post by stroguy »

There policy is to have your weapon unloaded if you are going to shoot it. It states it on the sign that you should have bolts and breaches open. I CC while shooting but I bring in my weapons unloaded. There is no problem with having your weapon unloaded prior to entering in my opinion. They put the tag on the trigger guard of the weapon(s) you are going to shoot. Can you imagine the odds of having a weapon go off if everybody walked in with the weapon loaded and went to unload it at the check in station? I think their policy is fair. Like I said, I CC my.380 and shoot something else. I CC my 1911 if I want to shoot my LCP. You did no wrong other than miss the meaning of the sign out front.

Texas Dan Mosby
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

Was I in the wrong to take the weapon into the business loaded? Did the conversation that took place constitute "verbal notification?" Thanks for your help.
The 30.06 is the ONLY legal sign that can bar a CHL from entering a business. All other signs have no legal authority.

However, if asked to leave a premises due to verbal notification of policy prohibiting CHL on premises, you must do so or be subject to trespassing charges.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Shinesintx wrote: Me: I looked before I entered, I did not see a 30.06 sign.
WBC: Whats that?
Me: The only legal signage that prevents me from concealed carry.
WBC: I dont know what that is. Do you even have a license to carry?
That is the part of the whole thing that I had the most amount of trouble with...that SHE didn't know what a 30.06 sign was...its a GUN STORE (and I have purchased at that one before, BTW)...they really aught to know. The folks running that place, and especially that woman should be-- :oops:

Topic author
Shinesintx

Post by Shinesintx »

stroguy wrote:There policy is to have your weapon unloaded if you are going to shoot it. It states it on the sign that you should have bolts and breaches open. I CC while shooting but I bring in my weapons unloaded. There is no problem with having your weapon unloaded prior to entering in my opinion. They put the tag on the trigger guard of the weapon(s) you are going to shoot. Can you imagine the odds of having a weapon go off if everybody walked in with the weapon loaded and went to unload it at the check in station? I think their policy is fair. Like I said, I CC my.380 and shoot something else. I CC my 1911 if I want to shoot my LCP. You did no wrong other than miss the meaning of the sign out front.
It sounds like I should just respect their policy and comply with their wishes. Noted, I will comply next time. The tag thing was kinda weird.

Topic author
Shinesintx

Post by Shinesintx »

Texas Dan Mosby wrote:
The 30.06 is the ONLY legal sign that can bar a CHL from entering a business. All other signs have no legal authority.

However, if asked to leave a premises due to verbal notification of policy prohibiting CHL on premises, you must do so or be subject to trespassing charges.
Good to know, thank you!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Shinesintx wrote:
stroguy wrote:There policy is to have your weapon unloaded if you are going to shoot it. It states it on the sign that you should have bolts and breaches open. I CC while shooting but I bring in my weapons unloaded. There is no problem with having your weapon unloaded prior to entering in my opinion. They put the tag on the trigger guard of the weapon(s) you are going to shoot. Can you imagine the odds of having a weapon go off if everybody walked in with the weapon loaded and went to unload it at the check in station? I think their policy is fair. Like I said, I CC my.380 and shoot something else. I CC my 1911 if I want to shoot my LCP. You did no wrong other than miss the meaning of the sign out front.
It sounds like I should just respect their policy and comply with their wishes. Noted, I will comply next time. The tag thing was kinda weird.
If you want to keep shooting there, then yes, comply. It might not hurt to ask someone with more authority about this policy.

I still don't understand the tag thing. Do they put these tags on all the weapons that are used there? This is something I have not come across before.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

stroguy

Post by stroguy »

The tag thing is a royal pain in the rear. But at the Spring location if they didn't have the tag, you could walk weapons around the building to the range. The tag is a means of checks for the range officers to make sure each weapon was checked in. But I can't imagine a line of people clearing their weapons at the check in. Someone would be coming out with an ankle wound one day.

apostate

Post by apostate »

Shinesintx wrote:It sounds like I should just respect their policy and comply with their wishes. Noted, I will comply next time. The tag thing was kinda weird.
You are now legally obligated to comply next time. You received 30.06 oral notice when she said, "Don't ever bring a loaded gun into this store again."

mreavis
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mreavis »

I work at a range here in Austin, Texas. You were in no wrong legally. Technically you broke there policy but unless they ask you to leave it means nothing except a slap on the wrist. The fact that they do not know what a 30.06 sign is says a lot about the knowledge level of there employees. We are pro CHL holders where I work. There is a sign on the door that says all weapons must be unloaded and actions locked back on the door, but it is not intended for CHL holders. All we ask is that you keep it on your hip and out of sight until you pull it off -downrange- to shoot on your lane. And considering you had all that planned out anyway I think you were totally in the right. Again though, I find it very unappealing that a range didn't know what a 30.06 sign was and did not support CHL holders. No Bueno.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

stroguy wrote:The tag thing is a royal pain in the rear. But at the Spring location if they didn't have the tag, you could walk weapons around the building to the range. The tag is a means of checks for the range officers to make sure each weapon was checked in. But I can't imagine a line of people clearing their weapons at the check in. Someone would be coming out with an ankle wound one day.
I don't get this checked in thing. I generally shoot at Bexar Community which doesn't even have a RO on the line. Don't think I've ever shot at one where my weapon was checked.

I've only ever shot at a range that charges per gun once. Not again.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

jmorris wrote:I've only ever shot at a range that charges per gun once. Not again.
That is the bottom line for CC. They charge by the gun and by the target. They want to tag the gun so they know it was paid for.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Jumping Frog wrote:
jmorris wrote:I've only ever shot at a range that charges per gun once. Not again.
That is the bottom line for CC. They charge by the gun and by the target. They want to tag the gun so they know it was paid for.
That's just wrong. How do they survive with that kind of a policy?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Shinesintx

Post by Shinesintx »

C-dub wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
That's just wrong. How do they survive with that kind of a policy?
What was also weird, was that they freaked out when I mentioned the word "Sharpie"...its against the rules to make marks on your target. Glad I dont live there and HAVE to use their facilities on a regular basis.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Shinesintx wrote: What was also weird, was that they freaked out when I mentioned the word "Sharpie"...its against the rules to make marks on your target.
Not that I would have even made it to the bench with the other rules in place, but if for some reason I did this one would push me right over the edge. I would pack up my stuff and walk right out and tell everyone I could not to go to that place. That's just insane!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”