Used Pepper Spray This Evening

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Katygunnut
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Used Pepper Spray This Evening

Post by Katygunnut »

One thing to add to your list

6. Don't go to Kalifornia unless absolutely necessary. In fact, I try to avoid all third world countries that don't respect basic human rights (like the RKBA).

ELB

Post by ELB »

Good job!

I would still be steaming about that ADA, and probably writing letters of complaint to everyone I could think of, not that Kalifornia would care much. I did think that if you had a recording of the conversation, even just an audio, it would be an interesting upload to Youtube or a proRKBA radio type. Lot to think about when you are already rattled from the encounter with the thug, the cops, and the ADA.

And a general note on the thread: the choice is not just between pepper spray and shooting....
USAF 1982-2005

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Keith B wrote:Glad things worked out for you guys. Scary situation.

One quesiton, how did they know you had a CHL? Did you show it to them or did it come up when they ran your license?
That was what I was wondering also. Did you show them your CHL? If so why?
N5PNZ

bilgerat57
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bilgerat57 »

Isn't the CHL linked to our DL's in the computer system? I'm wondering if the computer kicked a notice back when they ran the drivers license through NCIC. Kind of a scary thought, that. In any event, the homeless around the tourist traps in Kali are sort of like seagulls. Scavengers that are sort of protected........ Yes, yes, I know....That's not nice..... :nono:
A Gun in the hands of a bad man is a dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good man is a danger only to the bad man - Charlton Heston
The only time a Texan has a pinky out is to see if the chamber is empty in the dark. - SFC M. Merino US Army

Topic author
snatchel
Posts in topic: 8

Post by snatchel »

Ominous, I will answer some of your questions:

As far as the choice of Vexor- I went on reccomendations from a friend of mine... But I will check into fox now for sure..

Why did he know I had a CHL? I have always shown my DL and CHL (before the CHL, I would show my FL Lic) when dealing with LEO. I wasn't armed, sure.. But just as a courtesy. I know when TX LEO run your DL they also gt a hit for CHL, so I guess I'm assuming other states do too. Anyway, I had just used pepper spray... And I didn't want to "surprise" anyone with anything when they started questioning... Even if I wasn't carrying a Handgun. I also gave them my Military ID LOL.

As far as the ADA goes... I slept on it last night, I wanted to take my time in how I wanted to approach the letter I intend to write. No doubt if I wrote the letter last night it would have been in anger.. And although I am angry, I want to appear objective rather than as some angry redneck. I'm ignorant on who I should send it to... Anyone want to chime in?
No More Signature

Topic author
snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Katygunnut wrote:One thing to add to your list

6. Don't go to Kalifornia unless absolutely necessary. In fact, I try to avoid all third world countries that don't respect basic human rights (like the RKBA).
Oh,I try to avoid Cali... But my wife's folks live here in LA, and we visit them once a year... And they come down to TX to visit once a year. Can't always avoid evil :(
No More Signature

Topic author
snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Seabear wrote:
Ruark wrote:Great story, and you handled it well. Suppose you didn't have pepper spray and only had a concealed gun instead? !!

My thoughts exactly. Something to think about for sure.

This is why I carry WHEN it is legal. In Cali.. I just did the best with what I had. No doubt, in CA, if I had a concealed weapon and had used it... I'd be in jail right now on the phone with Gramps trying to arrange bail (not likely for a shooting) .. And looking at some hard time for my "offense."
No More Signature

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

Texas CHL info is not listed in NCIC, it's only listed in TCIC (the texas version of NCIC). Out of state will not know unless you show then the CHL itself.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

Topic author
snatchel

Post by snatchel »

magillapd wrote:Texas CHL info is not listed in NCIC, it's only listed in TCIC (the texas version of NCIC). Out of state will not know unless you show then the CHL itself.

I did not know that... Thanks! I'm not sure that it CHL ges anything... Except maybe in Cali... I'm not sure if I will show my CHL again now that I know they would be clueless otherwise.
No More Signature

fishman

Post by fishman »

magillapd wrote:Texas CHL info is not listed in NCIC, it's only listed in TCIC (the texas version of NCIC). Out of state will not know unless you show then the CHL itself.
That is true, but you still have the problem of your DL saying "Texas" in Kalifornia.
IANAL

bilgerat57

Post by bilgerat57 »

snatchel wrote:Ominous, I will answer some of your questions:

As far as the choice of Vexor- I went on reccomendations from a friend of mine... But I will check into fox now for sure..

Why did he know I had a CHL? I have always shown my DL and CHL (before the CHL, I would show my FL Lic) when dealing with LEO. I wasn't armed, sure.. But just as a courtesy. I know when TX LEO run your DL they also gt a hit for CHL, so I guess I'm assuming other states do too. Anyway, I had just used pepper spray... And I didn't want to "surprise" anyone with anything when they started questioning... Even if I wasn't carrying a Handgun. I also gave them my Military ID LOL.

As far as the ADA goes... I slept on it last night, I wanted to take my time in how I wanted to approach the letter I intend to write. No doubt if I wrote the letter last night it would have been in anger.. And although I am angry, I want to appear objective rather than as some angry redneck. I'm ignorant on who I should send it to... Anyone want to chime in?
IMHO - I do the same as far as showing both DL and CHL. I guess it's a matter of personal choice. Avoiding the 'surprise' factor makes sense to me. It shows the officer that you aren't just some yahoo off the street, but a responsible citizen who will not be taken lightly. As far as the letter about the ADA..........Having grown up in Kalifornia ( and running back to Texas as soon as possible) , I'm reasonably sure it won't get much accomplished, but it won't hurt things. I would write the letter to the District Attorney with a CC attachment for the Mayor, and the Local newspapers. Also maybe a copy to whoever heads up the tourism committee/board. I would emphasize the dangers posed to tourists and visitors by these panhandlers, the offensive attitude of the ADA, and I would praise the efforts and professionalism of the LEO's without using particulars. In this case, the public is your ally. Anything that threatens tourism and makes bad PR for the city gets handled pretty quick. Let us know how this comes out. Good luck!
A Gun in the hands of a bad man is a dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good man is a danger only to the bad man - Charlton Heston
The only time a Texan has a pinky out is to see if the chamber is empty in the dark. - SFC M. Merino US Army

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

Thanks for sharing, glad everyone's ok. Like others have said, sounds like you handled the situation perfectly.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

Ruark wrote:Our CHL instructor recommended carrying a small canister of pepper spray (NOT on the keychain!) for situations exactly like this. Excellent, excellent example
Agreed. This has inspired me to get some pepper spray to go along with my EDC.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

snatchel wrote: As far as the ADA goes... I slept on it last night, I wanted to take my time in how I wanted to approach the letter I intend to write. No doubt if I wrote the letter last night it would have been in anger.. And although I am angry, I want to appear objective rather than as some angry redneck. I'm ignorant on who I should send it to... Anyone want to chime in?
Best to let sleeping dogs lie IMO. I wouldn't try pushing their buttons. They can still charge you up to a year after the event I believe, so just move on and learn from the event.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Keith B wrote:
snatchel wrote: As far as the ADA goes... I slept on it last night, I wanted to take my time in how I wanted to approach the letter I intend to write. No doubt if I wrote the letter last night it would have been in anger.. And although I am angry, I want to appear objective rather than as some angry redneck. I'm ignorant on who I should send it to... Anyone want to chime in?
Best to let sleeping dogs lie IMO. I wouldn't try pushing their buttons. They can still charge you up to a year after the event I believe, so just move on and learn from the event.
Roger that!

There are probably several nice places halfway (+/-) between here and there that you and the in-laws can meet and eat.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”