Concealed Carry Myths

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Concealed Carry Myths

Post by Greybeard »

Excellent article: http://www.shootingillustrated.com/inde ... rry-myths/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

kjolly

Re: Concealed Carry Myths

Post by kjolly »

Well written article and some great advice.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

texanron

Post by texanron »

Good read. Great advice!
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

:iagree:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

thebigapp

Post by thebigapp »

:iagree:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It is an excellent article.

Chas.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Thanks, it was/is a good read.

TexasAggie09

Post by TexasAggie09 »

Forwarded it to my dad who likes to carry with an empty chamber!
Taurus Model 82 .38 Special
Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro
CZ 75 B 9mm
Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Special
Remington 870 Express Home Defense
Sig Sauer P229 Enhanced Elite .40 S&W
Rock River LAR-15 Elite Operator 2 .223/5.56

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2009

TheDude
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TheDude »

Good article. I couldn't help but read the comments below the article and one caught my attention. I didn't realize carrying a spare mag meant you were looking for trouble. :roll:

17. Larry says:
December 20, 2011 at 2:47 pm
Good information, only one quibble: the “spare magazine” meme is overkill for most people. Statistics show that most non-LEOs end an encounter well within five rounds. If you carry a gun with a 10-17 round mag, having an extra on hand can be too easily painted by prosecutors as “going out looking for trouble.” Yes, mags can fail, but a mag carried in a gun is more protected from damage than one carried in a pouch."

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Very good article, thanks for sharing it. Now it makes me wonder how many of the people on the various forums that rave about their mouse guns (LCP's etc) actually practice with them on a regular basis? I think the author hit the nail on the head with the range guns versus the carry guns.
Salty1

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

TheDude wrote:Good article. I couldn't help but read the comments below the article and one caught my attention. I didn't realize carrying a spare mag meant you were looking for trouble. :roll:

17. Larry says:
Good information, only one quibble: the “spare magazine” meme is overkill for most people. Statistics show that most non-LEOs end an encounter well within five rounds. If you carry a gun with a 10-17 round mag, having an extra on hand can be too easily painted by prosecutors as “going out looking for trouble.” Yes, mags can fail, but a mag carried in a gun is more protected from damage than one carried in a pouch."
In the realm of magazines, isn't it wisest to follow the dictate that "two is one, and one is none"?

TheDude

Post by TheDude »

Heartland Patriot wrote:
TheDude wrote:Good article. I couldn't help but read the comments below the article and one caught my attention. I didn't realize carrying a spare mag meant you were looking for trouble. :roll:

17. Larry says:
In the realm of magazines, isn't it wisest to follow the dictate that "two is one, and one is none"?
That's definitely the way to think. First time I had heard anyone say that an extra mag would be used against me in court if I had to defend myself. That's why I posted it here. Figured most people here feel the same as we do and would get a chuckle. Not sure where he got those "Statistics" from but I think I will take my chances and keep carrying extra mags. Lol.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

I can't remember the last time I had a flat tire but I have a spare in my trunk and a can of fix-a-flat.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

Heartland Patriot wrote:

17. Larry says:
...I'd rather have "four aces!!!"

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

That really was a pretty good article!

One "quibble" for me...I think "meme" is quickly becoming an overworked word/phrase...like proactive, paradigm, out of the box. Whether or not the spare magazine meme is overkill is not material to my way of thinking. I carry a weapon because I don't necessarily think like everyone else. I carry a spare mag because I have heard of way too many gunfights where 40+ bullets were sprayed out, and none hit their target. This includes police officers unloading an entire magazine and not hitting the BG who was not all that far away. I read of one instance where two officers both unloaded their magazines, and they missed with every round. I also know that bad guys sometime roam in pairs, and in packs. Not sure what a "pack" of bad guys would be called...maybe we could call it a "pustule of bad guys". If I have an overwhelming disparity of force that is lining up against me, I would sure like to have that extra magazine to count on.

If I have to do a tactical reload because there is some mechanism of error that I can not readily identify and clear with a tap, rack, bang...then I want to be able to drop the magazine and put a fresh one in.

If the spare magazine lifestyle is overkill, start by getting the police officers to quit carrying their two or three extra magazines...for now, I think I will follow their meme.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”