Easy Breezy - State Fair 2011

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Easy Breezy - State Fair 2011

Post by C-dub »

We'll see how it goes if we go this year, but when I went last year I only displayed my CHL to the DPD officer. I did not tell anyone else I had a CHL and no one else asked. Nor did the officer ask if I was carrying a weapon. The security person did say they needed to document my information and I refused. When I explained why, the officer agreed and wished me a good day. I wasn't snotty about it, but I was adamant that under these circumstance I did not have to and was not going to let anyone document any of my personal information.

When I approached the "wander" I stated that I needed to see an officer. I didn't say why, so maybe that's why no one yelled out anything. Maybe I was lucky, but it wasn't busy at that time either, so maybe that was a factor.

However, like I said, we'll see how it goes this year if we go.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

plano2001
Posts in topic: 1

Post by plano2001 »

Family and I went to the State Fair on Sunday. We had a very easy time getting in. As we approached one of the staff with the metal detector wand, I simply showed her my CHL with a simple "Ma'am" to get her attention to it before she wanded me. She waved for the supervisor to come over, who briefly looked at my CHL and then asked us to please see an officer at the police booth just inside the turnstiles and allowed all of us to pass without any further checks or bag/cooler searches (we had a stroller, large diaper bag, small cooler with bottled waters for the kids). Showed my CHL to a DPD officer, who compared it against my driver's license and wished me a nice day.

Very pleasant and easy experience for us, I was surprised. Kudos to the professionalism at the entry gate we went through (we parked at gate 11 parking area since it has a large # of handicap spaces).

TexDotCom

Post by TexDotCom »

Last Sunday was my first time carrying at the Fair. I pick the security personnel on the side with no line. Showed CHL and was promptly taken through the gate to the Police booth. He verified I was me, told me the Old Mill was the only place I couldn't go, and wished me a nice day. I like the express lane the State Fair has for CHL holders now that they've resigned themselves to obeying the law and letting us in armed. :woohoo

:txflag:

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

Weeeellll, there's no accounting for the "special" people. This time we went in on the Parry Ave. side where the Green Line drops off. They actually screen before you get to the ticket booths. The wife and girls were already in by the time I had parked and walked up. The DPD was standing by the rail so I went directly to him and he was very friendly as he looked at the license. About 20' behind him there was a male fair goer who (in his loudest short bus voice) shouted, "Is that a license to carry a concealed hand gun?" The LEO did the best Hal Roach slow burn I have seen in years. Then as he handed me back the license the guy says, "Does that mean he can come in with a gun?". The officer said, "Yes, now be on your way." My girls were waiting on a bench inside the barrier with a matching set of face palms that was kind of amusing. The cop shrugged apologetically and I was on my way.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

Well, I've got you all beat. Went there today, and parked near the entrance at the end of the overhead gondola ride (Gate #9). No security in sight. Got handed my senior pass, walked up to the turnstile, and went in. No Wands. No Vocal Declarations, No DPD, No warning where I can and can't go. Just walk in. :cheers2:

http://www.bigtex.com/sft/guestinfo/doc ... 011MAP.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

SC1903A3

Post by SC1903A3 »

Went to the fair today, the guy with the wand checked my left pocket completely missing my right side where I keep my PDA (personal defense accessory). Decided to be a good guy so I went over to the DPD officer and showed him my DL/CHL. I asked him if the guys with the wands had any clue what they were doing. He laughed :roll: and said no.

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

SC1903A3 wrote:Went to the fair today, the guy with the wand checked my left pocket completely missing my right side where I keep my PDA (personal defense accessory). Decided to be a good guy so I went over to the DPD officer and showed him my DL/CHL. I asked him if the guys with the wands had any clue what they were doing. He laughed :roll: and said no.
This happened to me a couple of years ago. They went up and down both legs, found change in right front pocket, keys in left front pocket and my belt buclke. They had no idea I had a .45 in a shoulder rig... Security theater...

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

I was there today as well. Security only wanded my front and back, completely missing the gun on my side. I figured they must be looking for the type of people that just shove it down their pants. :lol:
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

numist

Post by numist »

Went through Gate 2 Friday morning just after opening. Only a couple of security wanding people prior to the entry stiles and ticket booth area (no line). I had my card out and cupped in my hand ready to show as we approached the gate area. The screener saw it and simply waved me passed him. No police that I could see anywhere near the gate. Very little police presence seen anywhere actually considering how early it was but that changed as the day wore on and the crowd got thicker.

tazz0018

Post by tazz0018 »

Went to the State Fair today and had a interesting time with a young lady with a wand. I walked up and showed the young lady my chl and the first thing she said was "do you have a gun?". I said, "I have a chl". She then asked "are you carrying a gun on you?!?! and two more times and I replied with the same answer and then I asked if I could talk to the LEO in charge and then she told me to get my ticket first..... and then go to the LEO. But what was funny my wife, my brother in law and my sister in law was carrying also and she goes, ya too and just rolled her eyes and just let them though with no problem. Got my tickets for my wife and I. And went to the LEO showed him my id and chl and so did my wife and the in-laws and he said have a nice day with no other questions. Other than that moment had a good time... I am still surprised that she was very adamant regarding if I had a gun on me and drawing undue attention.

dalglockr

Post by dalglockr »

Went in gate 11 last weekend and asked the girl to speak with an officer. She asked if I had a "concealed weapon", and waived over some other guy who asked to check my "credentials". I again asked if I needed to talk to an officer, & the guy again asked to check it himself, and told me to "check in"? with the officer in the lifeguard chair. A little odd, but nothing that drew too much unneeded attention I guess. :roll:

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

dalglockr wrote:Went in gate 11 last weekend and asked the girl to speak with an officer. She asked if I had a "concealed weapon", and waived over some other guy who asked to check my "credentials". I again asked if I needed to talk to an officer, & the guy again asked to check it himself, and told me to "check in"? with the officer in the lifeguard chair. A little odd, but nothing that drew too much unneeded attention I guess. :roll:
dalglockr and taz0018,

In the future you can avoid the static by simply approaching the gate supervisor and saying, "I need to see the police officer," or "I need the DPD officer to verify my chl." They, or the wander do not need nor can they legally demand to see your credentials. This whole fair and even yesterday, I simply approached with my ticket and stated, "I'm going to see the officer."

They don't need to wand, they don't need to know if you are carrying. If they give you any static demand a security supervisor or involve the DPD officer at the gate. The lack of DPD at the gate does not change their authority or give them the right to abuse it.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

We went last Thursday (senior day) and the guy with the wand started to wand us. Told him we had a weapon and he motioned for the LEO who asked if we had CHL. Informed him we did and he said go ahead. Did not want to see it.

At least its better than the last time I went and had to wait for a stupidvisor and then for LEO and then fill out the paperwork with personal info. Thats why I havent been back in several years and would not have gone this time except the kids and grand kids were in town and wanted to go.

Glad the wife and I got in for free. It was still expensive getting the rest of my family in at $5 each with empty Coke bottles. $45.00 for them not counting all the tickets I had to buy. But it was fun.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I took my mother & sister today. The guy never even got close to me with the wand. He held it about 2 feet away and barely did anything. Of course, I kept my mouth shut and we had a fun & uneventful day.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

jdlott74
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jdlott74 »

Be aware of the DART Officers as well. They are DEFINITELY NOT the brightest cats over there. The year we went they had a drive and ride thing going on and they tried to tell my husband they were going to arrest him because he had his weapon and CHL and he couldn't go to the ride and drive. He QUICKLY informed them and got a DPD officer involved that he CAN carry while in there it is not a sporting event. They were trying to put the handcuffs on him and he was like you do and I'll own your butt and sue you for unlawful arrest.
My CHL Application
10/23/2010 -- CHL class
10/25/2010 - Quals and Fingerprinting Done
11/3/2010 -- Application mailed to DPS
11/9/2010 -- Received at DPS
12/18/2010 -- Plastic in hand

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”