Hmmmm, on the beach?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Hmmmm, on the beach?

Post by Jumping Frog »

Alright, need some advice. Took the family to Galveston beach yesterday.

Since I wasn't going to wear my gun into the ocean, and I wasn't going to leave it sitting on my towel while I was in the ocean, I left it locked in the car.

Man, I was so uncomfortable being unarmed.

Some of the riff-raff had me thinking various colors other than white, which increased my discomfort. I did take the time to find a parking spot on the beach side of the road, where my car was in plain sight and about 30 yards away (close enough to intervene in a car break-in, but still too far away to be useful if attacked).

What do others do at the beach?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Hmmmm, on the beach?

Post by seamusTX »

If you want to go swimming, there is no way to carry a concealed handgun bigger than maybe one of those NAA mini-revolvers.

You could have someone who isn't swimming stash the weapon. Obviously this person would have to have a CHL to be legal.

Otherwise you have to stay minimally clothed and wade in up to your knees.

(I do this all the time. I don't much like swimming at the beach, because I don't like having salt water and sand all over me until I get home.)

The beach and Seawall in Galveston are practically free of assaults and robberies during the daylight hours. The cops and life guards keep a pretty good eye out.

If an assault does occur, it is more likely to be between acquaintances who have been hitting the bottle.

There is theft of possessions left on the beach while people swim, so never leave anything more valuable than an old towel or flip-flops that way.

The more remote west-end beaches are less heavily used than the beach in front of the Seawall. At many of them, you can park right on the beach within maybe 100 feet of the water. Dellanera Park is just past the west end of the Seawall. They charge admission, which keeps out the riff-raff you mentioned. They also have bathrooms and showers.

The situation at night on the beach is much different, especially the far east end. There is more drinking and drug use, and violent crimes do occasionally occur. I would not go there alone or unarmed.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Oldgringo »

Hmmm, nobody makes an IWB holster for Speedos? :leaving

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

I thought a speedo was an IWB holster? :eek6

mescobar_rpls
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mescobar_rpls »

Give me a beach without the sand and salt water and I am a happy guy. :biggrinjester:

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Take your Ruger LCP and vacuum seal it in one of those special bags with a Tilia FoodSaver. Notch the bag so you can tear it open if needed. Wear shorts with button- or Velcro-closure pockets. Secure the vacuum-packed gun, and maybe a spare mag, and away you go.

And, yes. I'm kidding. :mrgreen:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

Skiprr wrote:And, yes. I'm kidding. :mrgreen:
Well, you got me.

You had me reading with interest until the punch line. :tiphat:

Notre for the record, when I say "reading with interest", I meant I found your concept interesting and entertaining, not that I would ever consider actually doing anything even close to that. . .
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

I took my family to the Galveston beach last Wed/Thurs. I carried like always, OWB at 3:30 with shorts and a big button up cover. I had a great excuse not to swim though as I was wading with my three year old in no more than 18" of water. My wife took our 11 year old out for a swim.

I did get to thinking that the chances of anything happening on the beach are minimal, but still decided on carrying anyways. I, like most here, feel uncomfortable when unarmed.

JLaw
Six for sure.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 2

Post by speedsix »

...having made the personal commitment to be armed, I, too, am very uncomfortable and very alert when/if ever I must be unarmed...it's hard to be comfortable and relaxed when you know you're in the very situation you normally carry in order to not be in...
if I were on the beach, I would be armed...

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I'd post a picture of my Glock which has marine/maritime spring cups in a crossbreed IWB holster on a fluorescent dayglow colored thong but ..... ain't happenin :nono:

When I kayak My life vest pocket contains what I need. ;-)

(No, the thong was a joke, and when I use cargo shorts on the water a 100% Kydex IWB [except for the screws/hardware] and the other gun in the life vest)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

jocat54

Post by jocat54 »

RPB wrote:I'd post a picture of my Glock which has marine/maritime spring cups in a crossbreed IWB holster on a fluorescent dayglow colored thong but ..... ain't happenin :nono:

When I kayak My life vest pocket contains what I need. ;-)

(No, the thong was a joke, and when I use cargo shorts on the water a 100% Kydex IWB [except for the screws/hardware] and the other gun in the life vest)

Sure it was! :mrgreen:
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Oldgringo »

speedsix wrote:...having made the personal commitment to be armed, I, too, am very uncomfortable and very alert when/if ever I must be unarmed...it's hard to be comfortable and relaxed when you know you're in the very situation you normally carry in order to not be in...
But would you be wearing your Speedo?

AEA

Post by AEA »

I was wondering how long before the word "Glock" would be mentioned! "rlol"

Just kidding..... :thumbs2: :smilelol5:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

Oldgringo wrote:
speedsix wrote:...having made the personal commitment to be armed, I, too, am very uncomfortable and very alert when/if ever I must be unarmed...it's hard to be comfortable and relaxed when you know you're in the very situation you normally carry in order to not be in...
But would you be wearing your Speedo?
...it all Depends...

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Good question. Salt water and guns are not a good combo however there is some rough stuff in Galveston. A gun in the car and parked far away is not going to do you a lot of good. I'm headed to Port Aransas in a week and am undecided.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”