Incorrect info on CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
trporterjr
Posts in topic: 2

Incorrect info on CHL

Post by trporterjr »

I have a question for the forum gurus. I used my CHL when purchasing a handgun this weekend and we discovered that my first name was misspelled on the license. It is supposed to be Thomas and is spelled Thmoas. I have sent a message to the state asking what to do. My question, would the license still be valid to carry with?
Application Recieved in Austin 2/4/11
Plastic in hand 3/7/11

AEA
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Incorrect info on CHL

Post by AEA »

I would say that it is still valid as it has your TXDL # on it as well.
DPS will send you a corrected one and you will have to then return the incorrect one to them as it is illegal to have more than one active Texas CHL in your possession.

When you send it back, be sure to include a note that it was incorrect and has been replaced. Hopefully they won't think it is correct and you are voluntarily relinquishing your CHL to them.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

johnson0317
Posts in topic: 1

Post by johnson0317 »

Do the really want it, or can't you simply destroy it?

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

AEA

Post by AEA »

You can simply destroy renewals (expired License) but I am pretty sure they want the active ones (even incorrect) back.

He will find out for sure when he gets a reply from them.
1911's RULE!

2up1down

Post by 2up1down »

Believe you must send it back, someone will correct if inaccurate.
Become a Student of the Law we live under and proficient in the protection of yourself: so you may protect your Family, State and way of Live. Awareness is your first defense, avoidance your first tactic. If engagement is forced, Stop when the threat is gone.

Sunny45

Post by Sunny45 »

This is a good question and I'd like to know, too. I just moved early this year, got my new DL & CHL with the new address. I was not asked to return the old CHL (which was still valid at that time for 4 more years) so I destroyed it myself through the credit card shredder. ;-)

Estand

Post by Estand »

My chl had the wrong street # (901 instead of 902 for example) AND the street type was mispelled (core instead of cove!). I had already used it to purchase one or two handguns with no one noticing, including myself. When I used it for the third purchase the sharp young girl asked "which is correct, txdl or chl?"

I went to dps chl dept in person to get it corrected. They refused to issue a correct one unless I payed the $25 reprint fee since it had been more than 30 days! I was pretty hot about that but they would not budge. I also pointed out that the font is much smaller than txdl and with the reflective design of the background it's hard to actually read all the characters.
:rules:

AEA

Post by AEA »

TSRA should be on top of this......Charging a reprint fee for their mistake??? Regardless of time????? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

This is not right. How about firing the person that makes the mistake and issue the replacement free as it should be!
1911's RULE!

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

AEA wrote:You can simply destroy renewals (expired License) but I am pretty sure they want the active ones (even incorrect) back.

He will find out for sure when he gets a reply from them.
The only requirement to return the old license is if you are modifying the license to allow carry of a different type of handgun (ie NSA to SA)--Govt. Code Sec. 411.184.

Return of the old license is not required for any other change--ie you don't have to return your old license if you change address or your name. DPS asks you to destroy the old license once you receive the new one.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

AEA

Post by AEA »

Thanks for the correction. :tiphat:
1911's RULE!

apostate

Post by apostate »

It is slightly troubling that DPS knows your DL # but makes no effort to validate the CHL data against the DL data.

On the other hand, at one point my DL said I lived in Staffored TX but at least my CHL spelled the city name correctly, so I suppose that's better than both being wrong. :lol:

Estand

Post by Estand »

I should have mentioned that when the young lady saw the discrepancy, she had no choice but to run the nics check for my purchase.

I did praise her attention to detail to her manager. If she had not noticed I am not sure what issues I would potentially had to deal with down the road. ...maybe nothing.

Topic author
trporterjr

Post by trporterjr »

I heard back from the State. They claim that I misspelled my name when I submitted the on-line application. Therefore, it was my fault and I must send a CHL-70 form, a copy of my drivers license and $25.00 to get it corrected. I guess it could have been my fault, but, I blaim my computer :lol: . I will send in the requested items.
Application Recieved in Austin 2/4/11
Plastic in hand 3/7/11

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

trporterjr wrote:I heard back from the State. They claim that I misspelled my name when I submitted the on-line application. Therefore, it was my fault and I must send a CHL-70 form, a copy of my drivers license and $25.00 to get it corrected. I guess it could have been my fault, but, I blaim my computer :lol: . I will send in the requested items.
You can "blaim" in on the auto-spellchecker! (Which, by the way gave me grief for "blaim", twice!)

And hirundo is correct. Only "modified" licenses need to be returned. Modified licenses are licenses where the type of handgun (SA or NSA) has been changed. Old Name/Address changed licenses can be destroyed.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

fasteddie

Post by fasteddie »

When I moved to Nebraska :cryin they changed my address but not my DL#. My CHL still shows up when my NE DL# is ran though. Guess I'll have to get with em :grumble

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”