CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Bennies
Posts in topic: 2

Shipping Via FEDEX or UPS

Post by Bennies »

Hello Everyone,

Quick question...... I just found out I need to travel to Florida to pick up some furniture from my Grandmother who passed a few years ago. I am going to be driving a Uhaul back from Florida to Texas and was wondering if anyone had any luck shipping a hand gun via Fedex or UPS. No ammo of course. I don't want to go unarmed for the trip.

Also if I am not transferring the gun do I still need to send it to an FFL?

I would just take it with me usually but I am planning to jump seat out to Florida on a flight once I finish my flying my trip so you cant check bags. Therefore I can not declare my gun since I will have my bag with me. thanks for the info.
GOA member
NRA member
TSRA member
Glock 23 w/Crossbreed Supertuck

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shipping Via FEDEX or UPS

Post by apostate »

You're good to go under Federal law but I hear stories that UPS and FedEx don't understand the law and/or have their own anti-gun policies. It's been several years since I've done it (pre 9/11) so I can't say what pointless hysteria guides the common carriers these days, but it's still legal.

Good luck.

From the horse's mouth: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

UPS doesn't even follow their own policy unless someone can find it and show it to them. Shipping firearms through them is a crap-shoot. Wish you luck.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

Purplehood wrote:UPS doesn't even follow their own policy unless someone can find it and show it to them. Shipping firearms through them is a crap-shoot. Wish you luck.
That's the truth.

I have had better luck at the UPS Store. Some of these are franchise outlets acquired with the Mail Boxes Etc. purchase. Call you local UPS Store and speak to the manager. When/if you locate one that says they will ship it, set up time when the manager is there to ship it.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Shinesintx

Post by Shinesintx »

Are you flying to Florida? Why not fly with it?

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

He said, "I am planning to jump seat out to Florida on a flight once I finish my flying my trip so you cant check bags."

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

i8godzilla wrote:
Purplehood wrote:UPS doesn't even follow their own policy unless someone can find it and show it to them. Shipping firearms through them is a crap-shoot. Wish you luck.
That's the truth.

I have had better luck at the UPS Store. Some of these are franchise outlets acquired with the Mail Boxes Etc. purchase. Call you local UPS Store and speak to the manager. When/if you locate one that says they will ship it, set up time when the manager is there to ship it.
Good advice here.. call ahead... UPS only (see below)
Must use UPS Next Day Air, adult signature required.

FedEx will only ship to an FFL (or similarly licensed entity)
http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guide/t ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
UPS - See emphasis added in red by me
If you read the details at the UPS link, it says that UPS store cannot be used as the shipping point...
I have used UPS store previously, but I was shipping back to the manufacturer. Perhaps their rules have changed since last year.??
http://ups.org/content/us/en/resources/ ... earms.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States), law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law, and when such shipment complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

They made me go down to the main UPS hub near Bush Intercontinental Airport here in Houston. The people in the front didn't know the regs and flat outright said I couldn't ship any firearms. I disputed that by quoting the laws/regulations regarding firearms and shipping...so they went to the back and found someone that knew the regs and he informed them that I was correct.
The UPS Store manager is very likely to send you to your local UPS hub to ship.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

In your shoes, I would follow the BATFE rules to the letter and probably not worry too much about the shipper's rules. I wouldn't lie in response to any direct questions, but as a customer I'm not obligated to research the internal policies of every company that I pay for a good or service.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

SpikeTX

Post by SpikeTX »

Just disassemble.. just parts then....

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I would be careful and follow all laws, it's not worth breaking the law to save a few dollars shipping. FYI there are law enforcement agencies like the ATF that monitor gun boards to look for illegal activity so I would stick to the law.

KaiserB
Banned

Post by KaiserB »

SpikeTX wrote:Just disassemble.. just parts then....
That is NOT legal by any means. When you ship the part with the serial number stamped / embossed on it you are in essence shipping a firearm according to Federal Law.

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

tacticool wrote:In your shoes, I would follow the BATFE rules to the letter and probably not worry too much about the shipper's rules. I wouldn't lie in response to any direct questions, but as a customer I'm not obligated to research the internal policies of every company that I pay for a good or service.
Unfortunately, if you don't read up on their policies, their uninformed answer is likely to be "no." And I believe you're legally required to let them know you're shipping a firearm.

Brian

Topic author
Bennies

Post by Bennies »

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like we are just going to hire a moving company. Found one with the BBB with an A+ plus rating and with insurance the cost is only about 300 $ more when you factor in gas and hotel cost, exct. Totally worth it to not do a road trip on my 3 days off. So thanks for the info.
GOA member
NRA member
TSRA member
Glock 23 w/Crossbreed Supertuck

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Purplehood wrote:They made me go down to the main UPS hub near Bush Intercontinental Airport here in Houston.
I shipped a gun to the manufacturer last year. My local UPS store was happy to take it. Yes, I told them what it was and they were smart enough to check the address and confirm that the address did not contain anything that would ID the shipment as a gun (mfr gave me their alias to put on the label).

I think it all depends on the people involved.

I would not have shipped it without declaring it.... but my local store was happy to take it.. no problems.
Although, it was to a licensed mfr., not to an individual.

YMMV

FYI.... Gun came back to me via USPS, signature required.
Mfr's and Licensed FFL's, etc. can ship via USPS....
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”