Odd...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
InfoTechCHL2007
Posts in topic: 4

Odd...

Post by InfoTechCHL2007 »

As I tend to do every couple of months, I stopped by a large, well-managed pawn shop up the road. They always have a large number of rifles, shotguns, and handguns up for sale at surprisingly reasonable prices...and they are usually open to negotiation. I have made a few worthwhile purchases there.
Anyway, today when I was at the back of the shop (40+ feet from the entrance) looking over the handgun selection, I happened to look up and to the right at a 30.06 sign posted on the wall.
I had never once noticed it before and knew there was not one posted at the entrance.
So, I guess my question is...do other businesses post their 30.06 signs deep inside the store (without one at the entrance) and is it even legal to do so? I cannot recall the verbiage from the statute.
I was a little taken aback by this one and promptly exited the premises.
Know your weapons

C-dub

Re: Odd...

Post by C-dub »

InfoTechCHL2007 wrote:As I tend to do every couple of months, I stopped by a large, well-managed pawn shop up the road. They always have a large number of rifles, shotguns, and handguns up for sale at surprisingly reasonable prices...and they are usually open to negotiation. I have made a few worthwhile purchases there.
Anyway, today when I was at the back of the shop (40+ feet from the entrance) looking over the handgun selection, I happened to look up and to the right at a 30.06 sign posted on the wall.
I had never once noticed it before and knew there was not one posted at the entrance.
So, I guess my question is...do other businesses post their 30.06 signs deep inside the store (without one at the entrance) and is it even legal to do so? I cannot recall the verbiage from the statute.
I was a little taken aback by this one and promptly exited the premises.
It is legal as long as it is clearly posted for anyone to see. It does not have to be at an entrance or every entrance. Some places do it this way, but not very many.

You did the right thing by leaving as soon as you were aware of the sign. BTW, was it the correct version, size, and also in Spanish?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

All the statute states, If I remember right is "conspicuously posted"
Nothing says it has to be in the front of the store or 'at the entrance'

I believe it is much like a 51% sign, once you see it, you have been notified, period, regardless of when you see it.

My only question then would be, does the sign meet the legal definitions, with English/Spanish, contrasting colors and minimum 1 inch block letters?
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
InfoTechCHL2007

Teamless wrote:All the statute states, If I remember right is "conspicuously posted"
Nothing says it has to be in the front of the store or 'at the entrance'

I believe it is much like a 51% sign, once you see it, you have been notified, period, regardless of when you see it.

My only question then would be, does the sign meet the legal definitions, with English/Spanish, contrasting colors and minimum 1 inch block letters?
Looked legit...but no Spanish. If a 30.06 is posted, I always give it the benefit of the doubt. I have no desire to become a test case.
Know your weapons

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

InfoTechCHL2007 wrote:.but no Spanish.
if no Spanish, it is not a legally enforceable sign.
Should you carry in there even though it is not enforceable? Well, I would carry there OR I would not give them any business at all, as if you believe their intention is to not want CHL's, then don't give them CHL money.
League City, TX

Topic author
InfoTechCHL2007

Teamless wrote:
InfoTechCHL2007 wrote:.but no Spanish.
if no Spanish, it is not a legally enforceable sign.
Should you carry in there even though it is not enforceable? Well, I would carry there OR I would not give them any business at all, as if you believe their intention is to not want CHL's, then don't give them CHL money.
Unless I have no option in a particular case, I routinely boycott all businesses posting a 30.06. Thanks for your responses.
Know your weapons

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SQLGeek »

Sounds like what Cash America Pawn does. I was in there several weeks ago and saw the sign behind the register. English only and the lettering was too small.
Psalm 91:2

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

I thought you could not go past a 30.06 sign. So if it was posted inside the store you could not go beyond the sign or did I miss something.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

suthdj wrote:I thought you could not go past a 30.06 sign. So if it was posted inside the store you could not go beyond the sign or did I miss something.
In this case, the sign was posted well inside the store, and was not compliant (no Spanish). Let your conscience be your guide.
NRA lifetime member

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

suthdj wrote:I thought you could not go past a 30.06 sign. So if it was posted inside the store you could not go beyond the sign or did I miss something.
if the sign is legally enforceable, then when you see the sign, the sign affects the entire dwelling. there is nothing that says "you can't go "past" this sign".

If you go to walmart and happen to see a 30.06 sign back next to the bathrooms, (no walmart is not posted), and we all know the bathroom is in the very back of the store. Once you see the sign by the bathrooms, if they are legal, then you have been given notice and if carrying, you need to leave immediately or you are trespassing, and this 'notice' is valid until the sign is no longer posted.
League City, TX

5thGenTexan

Post by 5thGenTexan »

Afraid I would have to make a call from the parking thanking them for telling me to save my money for people that want my business. Then ask them how many armed robbers read signs.
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Teamless wrote:
if the sign is legally enforceable, then when you see the sign, the sign affects the entire dwelling. there is nothing that says "you can't go "past" this sign".

If you go to walmart and happen to see a 30.06 sign back next to the bathrooms, (no walmart is not posted), and we all know the bathroom is in the very back of the store. Once you see the sign by the bathrooms, if they are legal, then you have been given notice and if carrying, you need to leave immediately or you are trespassing, and this 'notice' is valid until the sign is no longer posted.
Does that mean that I can go back in periodically to make sure if it's still posted? "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Does that mean that I can go back in periodically to make sure if it's still posted?
Yep - but without carrying your concealed weapon :nono:
League City, TX

Topic author
InfoTechCHL2007

As an interesting and oddly coincidental update to this thread, I stopped by again late yesterday and the 30 06 sign was gone. I also re-checked the front windows just to be sure.
Know your weapons

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

InfoTechCHL2007 wrote:As an interesting and oddly coincidental update to this thread, I stopped by again late yesterday and the 30 06 sign was gone. I also re-checked the front windows just to be sure.
Nice!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”