Has anyone got pulled over......

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Cowboyfan
Posts in topic: 1

Has anyone got pulled over......

Post by Cowboyfan »

Has anyone got pulled over while their CHL was in the mail, and the cop ask for it?
7/15 Arrived at DPS
7/22 Manufacturing Pending
7/23 manufacturing
7/29 Plastic

seamusTX

Re: Has anyone got pulled over......

Post by seamusTX »

That has happened (not to me).

There's not much you can do about it. If you don't have a handgun, it's not a problem at all. If you are carrying under MPA you might have some talking to do. But it has been two years now since the penalties for not displaying your license were removed.

Anyway I have most LEOs to be reasonable if I don't come across as a jerk.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

CEOofEVIL

Post by CEOofEVIL »

Indeed, this actually happened to a buddy of mine about two years back. We had both taken the CHL course together and were waiting on our liscenses from the State, but hadn't recieved them yet.

My buddy was with one of his friends whom was pulled over for a traffic violation. The officer had also asked my friend for ID, so he produced it and the officer went to go "run" it. When he returned, the Officer questioned my buddy as to why he had not immediately produced his CHL when the officer asked him for it. Friend explained that while he had applied for his CHL, he had not received it back from the State yet. The Officer pretty much explained to him that his "system" (I'm assuming the police database system) showed that he CHL was actually active and issued - and they both figured that the liscense was actually still in route to him. My friend was glad the that officer was fairly cool and respectful about it - after all if he didn't believe him, he could have made it a much more painful experience. Ironically, he never received that CHL as it was lost in the mail. How about that? Finding out that your CHL was granted from a Police Officer before it gets to you but after it was issued, and then having it lost in the mail? Talk about 2 pretty small coincidences!

At any rate, it all turned out OK for him (as he was not armed at the time) and he did manage to get the State to send him another License which he received OK. I guess the lesson is that while some instances might carry a very rare percentage of happening, they do still happen.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 3

Post by speedsix »

...given the fact that the gun was not on or about his person, he would have had no trouble for not notifying at all...then or now...no pain...no harm...no foul...
...yes, I know we've all been told it's best to tell/show it anyways...but that's not the law...we don't give that away...we might need it sometime...

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

There is at least one other post on here from someone who first realized his CHL was issued when a cop ran his license. I think it may be more common than we think since it can take 4 days or so for it to arrive in the mail. Once your status shows manufacture pending, it probably shows up in his database...so that could be a week or more before you get it.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Passing adjacent to a drunk sweep, one of the officers decided I looked like I was trying to evade it (it was my exit) and followed me down the frontage road. He finally lit me up for license plate light out. When he first came up to the car he stuck his head so far inside I thought he was trying to kiss me or something, found out from another Plano cop some time later that he was just being a little over enthusiastic in trying to sniff my breath. Asked me what I was doing out at 2am (working and heading home) and then took my license and headed back to his car.

When he came back he asked me if I was packing, and my first thought was to wonder how he knew I was going out of town the next day. Then I wondered if he meant Copenhagen, which I hadn't packed in years. Then he asked if I was strapped up, and finally, in exasperation, was I armed. I told him I was not, that I did not have my CHL yet. He told me that according to their records I did, and that I was required to produce it, etc. I pointed out that I had no way to produce something I didn't have, without arguing the point that since I was not carrying I was not required to produce it. He gave me a warning for the license plate light and I left. My plastic arrived in the mail the next day.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...he really thought he had him one, din't he :lol: :lol: !!!

my04heritage

Post by my04heritage »

jimlongley wrote:Passing adjacent to a drunk sweep, one of the officers decided I looked like I was trying to evade it (it was my exit) and followed me down the frontage road. He finally lit me up for license plate light out. When he first came up to the car he stuck his head so far inside I thought he was trying to kiss me or something, found out from another Plano cop some time later that he was just being a little over enthusiastic in trying to sniff my breath. Asked me what I was doing out at 2am (working and heading home) and then took my license and headed back to his car.

When he came back he asked me if I was packing, and my first thought was to wonder how he knew I was going out of town the next day. Then I wondered if he meant Copenhagen, which I hadn't packed in years. Then he asked if I was strapped up, and finally, in exasperation, was I armed. I told him I was not, that I did not have my CHL yet. He told me that according to their records I did, and that I was required to produce it, etc. I pointed out that I had no way to produce something I didn't have, without arguing the point that since I was not carrying I was not required to produce it. He gave me a warning for the license plate light and I left. My plastic arrived in the mail the next day.
That is tooooo funny! "rlol"

bilgerat57

Post by bilgerat57 »

I work off-shore and a few years back, my CHL expired while I was on the boat. The wife neglected to mail the new license to the fleet when I got off, so just to be absolutely sure, I unloaded my weapons, packed the guns inside one bag and the ammunition in another, and then set out to drive home. As fate would have it, 2 hours and 45 minutes into a 3 hour drive home I got pulled over for an expired inspection sticker. (It expired while I was off shore also). I gave my expired CHL to the trooper along with my DL and when he commented about it, I explained what was happening. He was appreciative that I was up front, and after warning me about getting my inspection done he turned me loose. I certainly can't complain.....
A Gun in the hands of a bad man is a dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good man is a danger only to the bad man - Charlton Heston
The only time a Texan has a pinky out is to see if the chamber is empty in the dark. - SFC M. Merino US Army

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...the way you handled that showed him you're a good guy trying to respect the law...great story... :thumbs2: ...cops appreciate citizens like you just like you appreciate cops like him...

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”