Update; grapevine mills mall "30.06"

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cpileri
Posts in topic: 2

Update; grapevine mills mall "30.06"

Post by cpileri »

Just an update as of 17 June 2011, grapevine Mills Mall, at least at the entrance nearest legoland Discovery Center, still posts the non-compliant 30.06 as seen here (2nd pic)- the one with the almost-but-not-quite-verbage:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24234&start=45#p296301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C-

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Update; grapevine mills mall "30.06"

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The Grapevine PD considers the signs to be compliant, and they will arrest you if you are caught inside the mall with your gun. You may beat the time, but you're not going to beat the ride. Our moderator Mike B has had several exchanges with the Chief of the GPD about it, and he has it in writing.

I have lived in Grapevine for 5 years now. I avoided that place like the plague anyway because I despise mall shopping, but I have managed to live happily and conduct all of my affairs without ever feeling the need to go to that mall in the more than 3 years that I've had my CHL. Pretty much every single thing that can be found there can also be found elsewhere in Grapevine, without having to get my panties in a twist over the unfriendly signs at the entrances.

And, from where I live in Grapevine, right on the borders of Euless and Colleyville near Hall Johnson Rd and the 121, The Northeast Mall in Hurst, 17 minutes from my house, takes the same amount of time to get to, and it isn't posted. Guess where I go when I need a mall store.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

speedsix
Posts in topic: 6

Post by speedsix »

...wonder how much business their idiotic policy has cost them through the years? wonder what they'll pay out in in legal fees if someone goes postal there???wonder what kind of Chief of Police blatantly ignores the law in order to pander to a commercial customer who doesn't feel like keeping it...and if he'll beat the legal rap when it's tested someday...he's not ignorant of the law...just hardheaded about enforcing it the way HE sees fit...
...I've NEVER been to Grapevine Mall...and haven't been in Grapevine in years...wonder what OTHER laws he "enforces" to suit himself in order to be Mr. Big Man...betcha I'm not going there to find out...that kind of "enforcement" smacks of 1950s Mississippi..."Boy, I AM the law 'round hyar"...

USA1

Post by USA1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Our moderator Mike B
:confused5
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...that's just a pen name, for when he's trying to reason with politicians...kinda like Silence Dogood...

USA1

Post by USA1 »

speedsix wrote:...that's just a pen name, for when he's trying to reason with politicians...
ohhh... gotcha :cool:

carry on. :tiphat:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

blue
Posts in topic: 1

Post by blue »

With TAM on GVMM. AVOID!
Makes the visit to the other mall better, just knowing Grapevine AND the
city is down one more on sales/taxes and that makes the compitition two ahead.

Strange how big corps will do most anything for a 1% more profit.
GVM AND city of GV, are just about alone in a policy of rejecting 2% of the Texans AND THEIR FAMILYS.(4-5%)

Just AVOID GVM TOTALLY!

SMILE as you go by, as I did for years.

:txflag:

saltydog452

Post by saltydog452 »

I'm not as tolerant of Texas heat as in times past.

Strolling around in a shaded, air conditioned area that has an occasional bench to sit on isn't exactly awful. Sure beats walking around the block in my neighborhood.

As to being armed, on my hip is way safer than under the seat of a parked car. My bride, a Grand-Kid or two, and my own self, enter the Mall through one of the side entrances.

If all goes to helengoneinahandbasket, I'm prepared to accept the consequences of my actions.

salty

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...I agree...there comes a point where the dance is over and you gotta stand your ground...we jump through enough hoops without someone who's "above the law" adding more...the day will come when he gets re-educated that his job is to enforce the law AS IT IS WRITTEN, not as he wants to...I love the police better'n most...but that Chief needs a serious backwash...

The Annoyed Man

USA1 wrote:
OOPSIE.... I meant "Keith B".............I had only one cup of coffee on board when I wrote that. :oops:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

blue wrote:With TAM on GVMM. AVOID!
Makes the visit to the other mall better, just knowing Grapevine AND the
city is down one more on sales/taxes and that makes the compitition two ahead.

Strange how big corps will do most anything for a 1% more profit.
GVM AND city of GV, are just about alone in a policy of rejecting 2% of the Texans AND THEIR FAMILYS.(4-5%)

Just AVOID GVM TOTALLY!

SMILE as you go by, as I did for years.

:txflag:
Well, that's a corporate policy, which is being enabled by the PD. Grapevine certainly does get a lot of tax revenue from the mall, but I have not found Grapevine at large to be unfriendly to CHL, and I really like living here. And the tax revenues from the mall are nothing compared to the revenues from DFW airport, which is largely located within the city limits. It's an overall pretty well run town. There is a good tax base. Things are well funded. The streets are clean and, ongoing current construction projects aside, are kept in good repair. The PD is otherwise very responsive to the needs of the residents. And I get two garbage pickups a week instead of just one. I have no complaints about living here, other than it's not a farm out in the country. And the Grapevine Mills Mall is not the only attraction in town.......although the Gray Wolf Lodge and resort is also posted 30.06. There are plenty of other things to do. I wouldn't tell anyone to avoid Grapevine, but I would tell them to avoid the mall......and it's not that great of a mall anyway. I've seen better.

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
USA1 wrote:
OOPSIE.... I meant "Keith B".............I had only one cup of coffee on board when I wrote that. :oops:
Hey, it's a lot better than what some people call me. :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Keith B wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
USA1 wrote:
Hey, it's a lot better than what some people call me. :lol:
I figured he was talking about a cousin or brother or somethin'. :cool:
Psalm 91:2

fickman
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fickman »

Now this is interesting, TAM. . . we're juxtapose from our earlier conversation regarding gun shows. hahahaha. :biggrinjester:

I only go to GVM on rare occasions (usually for the Nike Outlet), but since I've been a CHL holder, I've only entered through Off 5th or J C Penney's, and I've never been given notice (written or verbal, proper or otherwise).

IF I was there, and IF I was carrying, and IF a LEO somehow asked me for ID (or IF a mall employee was randomly walking around telling people that CHL carry is prohibited and spoke to me), I'd be prepared to leave immediately upon being notified that I wasn't welcome. I guess I'm willing to take the ride in this unlikely event. . . I'll be here panhandling for donations for my defense as soon as I post bail. :mrgreen:

In any event, my defense won't be based on the improper wording of a nearly-enforceable sign, it'll be based on the lack of notice at the entrance I used.

Let's hope the mall reverses its policy, the chief wakes up, or Jesus comes back before this happens. :cheers2:
Native Texian

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

We used to go to Grapevine Mills a lot. Since I've had my CHL, I've only been there once (and only because, at that moment, there wasn't a good alternative.). Granddaughter got a special coupon for the Rainforest Cafe and the GMM one of those is the only one she understands.

My sense is that the Mall has lost a lot of its original stores and that in the cases where there are new merchants, they are not of the some quality as the originals. We went during the Christmas season, when the consumers in the past would have packed the place and we had no problems walking in or out - there were not many people there. Some of it is likely due to the economy. But given the Mall's reputation as an outlet mall, one would expect an uptick, not a downturn in customers.

Driving by there, the parking lots are still reasonably crowded.

The intriguing part of this for me is not that the mall has posted an invalid sign but that the Grapevine PD chooses to allow its officers make their own decisions about its enforcement. That would seem to lead to an inconsistent result. The sign is either valid or it isn't. Rather than taking it up with the LEOs, it would be an interesting conversation to have with the local DA. I do understand that you won't beat the ride but understanding better whether the DA would try to prosecute might be important.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”