Carry at a Sports teams Parade?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cdoug88
Posts in topic: 3

Carry at a Sports teams Parade?

Post by cdoug88 »

As you all know, the Dallas Mavs won the NBA Finals and are having a parade in downtown Dallas this morning. Is this considered a professional sporting event? Can i carry to this event? Any help would be appreciated.
3.01 -PACKET RECIEVED
3.25 - processing! Waiting on BG check & FP.
4.05 - FP approved. Waiting on BG check.
4.20 - Manufacturing
4.22 - Mailed
4.28 - PLASTIC IN HAND

My EDC choices:
Glock 26
Kel Tec PF9

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry at a Sports teams Parade?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My guess is that no, it isn't a sporting event. Why would a parade, on public streets, celebrating a sports victory be any different than a parade, on public streets, celebrating a military victory? We're not allowed to carry onto military bases, but public parades aren't off-limits. I think the same logic would apply here. So, unless they are closing the entire area off and charging admission, it would be a very difficult thing to enforce, wrongly or not.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
cdoug88

Post by cdoug88 »

I guess the part I'm not sure about is the parade will end at the American airlines center (inside). As far as I know the American airlines center is not 30.06 posted. The last couple of times I have been there they didn't even have metal detectors any more.
3.01 -PACKET RECIEVED
4.20 - Manufacturing
4.22 - Mailed
4.28 - PLASTIC IN HAND

My EDC choices:
Glock 26
Kel Tec PF9

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

If you are going into the event center or on the property, I would consider it a professional sporting event and would not carry.

However, if the parade is going down a public street, I would carry.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 2

Post by i8godzilla »

On the city streets, I would think you would be just fine.

As a side note about the parade. I read the Mark Cuban said that because of budget shortfalls in Dallas, he was going to pick up the tab for the parade. Thought this was an admirable deed.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Teamless wrote:If you are going into the event center or on the property, I would consider it a professional sporting event and would not carry.

I don't think this would be a sporting event. What sport is taking place? It's a celebration of a victory, not a contest between two teams.

Of course, IANAL and all that.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Kythas wrote:I don't think this would be a sporting event.
I agree, however, it's one of those gray areas that I wouldn't want to be the test case, even if you beat the rap, why chance the ride.
League City, TX

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

Kythas wrote:
Teamless wrote:If you are going into the event center or on the property, I would consider it a professional sporting event and would not carry.

I don't think this would be a sporting event. What sport is taking place? It's a celebration of a victory, not a contest between two teams.

I use this test...can you bet on the parade...no? Then its not a sporting event.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

olafpfj wrote:can you bet on the parade.
Well, I could bet that someone may fall off of the float "rlol" "rlol"
League City, TX

texanron

Post by texanron »

Teamless wrote:
olafpfj wrote:can you bet on the parade.
Well, I could bet that someone may fall off of the float "rlol" "rlol"
My money would be on the drunkard DeShawn Stevenson!
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Topic author
cdoug88

Post by cdoug88 »

Well I carried during the parade (i wouldnt dare walk down those streets with that many people without carrying :fire ) but when we went to go inside the AAC I saw that they were wanding random people and I had cargo shorts on so I knew they would wand me. I had to walk a long way back to the car to put my gun up. When I got back to the AAC and they wanded, they didnt even run the thing near where I keep my gun so I would have made it in anyways. Bottom line was I just didnt want to break the law. Since this one was in the grey area i decided to not take my chances.
3.01 -PACKET RECIEVED
4.20 - Manufacturing
4.22 - Mailed
4.28 - PLASTIC IN HAND

My EDC choices:
Glock 26
Kel Tec PF9

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

olafpfj wrote:
Kythas wrote:

I use this test...can you bet on the parade...no? Then its not a sporting event.
I'll bet you could find a Vegas bookie that would take some sort of bet on it!
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

cdoug88 wrote:Well I carried during the parade (i wouldnt dare walk down those streets with that many people without carrying :fire ) but when we went to go inside the AAC I saw that they were wanding random people and I had cargo shorts on so I knew they would wand me. I had to walk a long way back to the car to put my gun up. When I got back to the AAC and they wanded, they didnt even run the thing near where I keep my gun so I would have made it in anyways. Bottom line was I just didnt want to break the law. Since this one was in the grey area i decided to not take my chances.
I posted in a different thread about my experience at the AAC. I attended a business motivational event back in Oct (or Nov) of last year. They were wanding everybody the entered. I figured when they located my pistol I would show my CHL and play by ear after that. The security person actually hit the butt of my gun with the wand and yes it did beep. He just said thanks a motioned me on my way. I was a bit taken back but continued on my way.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”