Preparing for CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
n1nthw9rd
Posts in topic: 3

Preparing for CHL

Post by n1nthw9rd »

Im about to start the CHL class and was wondering what sort of hints or tips anyone had for me that has taken it already.

thanks,

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Preparing for CHL

Post by RPB »

Learn the safety rules if you don't know them already

A semi-auto is not "unloaded" just because there's no magazine in it

Don't load your magazines before class ( I had mags and spares all loaded, but instructor wanted to watch me load them with X number for each go-round

Take glasses/ear protection and a hat/cap

Know how your equipment/magazine/gun work, (I heard that some people never even went to a range before)

Read the CHL laws book (and read everything on this forum. lol )
------------------

Probably some Instructors will give mo-better advice soon below ;-)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

CJATE
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CJATE »

Only thing you don't learn in class is about your gun and how to shoot. It's not a hard shoot, but I like feeling prepared

If your not new to firearms, brush off you skills and read a few of the threads on this site

If you are new to firearms, find a buddy, get him to help you dust off your skills, then read some threads on this site

Your "desire" to be prepared, puts you well above most of my classmates.

Topic author
n1nthw9rd

Post by n1nthw9rd »

iv been around guns my whole life.

everything from a 22 all the way up to a 30 - 06 so i feel im perfectly capable of putting some lead down range.

as far as the testing goes, what kind of things will i be asked to do?

iv heard you have to explain to the instructor how to talk someone down without having to pull your gun like you would in a real crisis situation.

and what sort of shooting tests are there? accuracy tests? quick fire? reloading?

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

there is no drill or time for reloading, only getting rounds on target.
Go here and it shows the times and round count per barrage
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Take your time, those seconds go by slower than you think, don't rapid fire
Don't sacrifice accuracy for being in a hurry.
In the class I took, one lady got chewed out for hurrying.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

n1nthw9rd wrote:iv heard you have to explain to the instructor how to talk someone down without having to pull your gun like you would in a real crisis situation.
There is no such requirement. You will have to take the written test, most of which is multiple choice. The instructor will cover all of the subjects that you will need to pass the test.

On the range, be safe, listen to the instructor and follow directions and you will be fine.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
n1nthw9rd

Post by n1nthw9rd »

WildBill wrote:
n1nthw9rd wrote:iv heard you have to explain to the instructor how to talk someone down without having to pull your gun like you would in a real crisis situation.
There is no such requirement. You will have to take the written test, most of which is multiple choice. The instructor will cover all of the subjects that you will need to pass the test.

On the range, be safe, listen to the instructor and follow directions and you will be fine.

can you give me some hints about what topics i should start browsing up on?

stuff that will show up on the written test?

thanks

paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

Don't worry about researching before hand unless you really want to, you are going to be in there for 10 hours there will be plenty of time for all your questions... trust me. If you just cant wait the best research you can do in my opinion is on this forum, before my class I read post after post after post, it got to the point where I pretty much knew most of the things that the instructor was going to say. I will say this though, after the class I had a ton of what ifs that popped into my head, so I read the handbook and reread it, then I looked things up on here (which ended up being the easiest). Hope this helps and good luck, not that you need it.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

n1nthw9rd wrote:can you give me some hints about what topics i should start browsing up on?

thanks
All of the answers are right here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetFo ... CHL-16.pdf
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Pawpaw wrote:
n1nthw9rd wrote:can you give me some hints about what topics i should start browsing up on?

thanks
All of the answers are right here:
:iagree: And get a good nights sleep before the class. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

RockingRook

Post by RockingRook »

Speaking from my own experience. I went to class on March 5, 2011 and had some of the same concerns as expressed in
this thread.

I was a little nervous at first but settled in quite comfortably. We had a good instructor. He taught the things we needed to know and then
some. He made the class enjoyable by breaking up the "serious" stuff with some jokes and stories from his own experience.

The class time went very well because we had the range time the first thing in the morning. We fired for qualification before the class
began. I think that eased some of the nervousness because we did not have to sit in class thinking about what was to come,
the range part.

As far as the shooting goes, I scored 248 out of 250. It was very easy, I thought. If you have been around guns for a while, have been
to the range a few times then you will not have any problem at all. In fact, I think a score of 175/250 qualifies you.

It helped that the range was an indoor range. I had the class at the Bass Pro shop in San Antonio.

The advice above about knowing your gun is very important. I did not take one of my less familiar guns. I took my Ruger P-89
to that range. I put Hogue grips on it a long time back, and recently had fiber optic sights put on it. With the red front sight and the green back sights
target acquisition is quite rapid and I think I shot better than I would have with the plain sights that came with the gun.

So, knowing your gun is probably the best advice for the range part.

Don't worry about the class, if I got through then anyone can.

Chuck
Born in Brooklyn, NY joined AF in '65 as a 2nd Lt. Went through Naval EOD School in 67. Spent
the next 8 years in and around South East Asia. I was stationed in Texas in '84. Retired from the AF in '85.
Remained in Texas, raised my 2 kids and here I stayed. I hope it Rains!!

WickedOwl

Post by WickedOwl »

I typed this up and brought it with me to the range the week before class. I shot the whole test twice. The first time I took it slow just to get used to the distances and then the second time tried to rush myself to simulate the pressure of having the time limit.
Shooting Test
Shooting Test
It helps to be familiar with the test before hand, because trying to count five rounds into a magazine and listen to the instructor's directions at the same time can lead to mistakes.

My local gun shop also made a video that I found to be helpful showing the process and letting you hear the instructions. You can watch it here: http://championfirearms.net/shoot_test/

stealthfightrf17

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

As many have already stated, the best advice is know you gun. If you have several handguns, take the one you are most comfertable with and shoot the best with. Also, when doing you shooting, aim at the same spot every time. This will give you a better score.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

If you figured out how to create, confirm, and sign with an account here, the CHL exam, or proficiency test for that matter, shouldn't give you any grief.

My experience with the CHL education requirements, and LEO course requirements, is much of the material is presented for the "lowest common denominator."
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”