Got busted tonight.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

johnson0317
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Got busted tonight.

Post by johnson0317 »

Tough luck on that! However, as said, if there is no 30.06 posted, and no one, in authority, instructed you to leave...then no real sweat. If your pastor wants to talk about it, you might guide him towards the shooting that started at one church up around Denver and ended up at the New Life church in Colorado Springs. If the volunteer security woman did not have her concealed carry weapon on her that day, there would have been a lot more dead people.

Gun free zone = free fire zone.

I have not talked to my pastor about it, but he would probably be ok with it. He knows I am trustworthy and clear thinking. In addition to that, his son-in-law, who is also a member of this forum, who also goes to my church, is a concealed carry guy. We are Assembly of God, and we are a real huggy bunch...me more than most. My nickname is "teddybear". The best advice I have read concerning hugging is to go in under your intended "hugee's" arm with your arm on the side you carry on. That keep their arm away from your gun. I am not sure what to do if you also carry a spare mag. Maybe the "health maintanence device" ruse would work here.

I have mentioned to my pastor that, on one of our "Guys" nights, that we ought to go visit our local indoor shooting range. Maybe we can talk our beloved man of God into a CHL class!

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

CCreyeder

Post by CCreyeder »

Keep us informed to the outcome. From the sound of things, it will prob be okay, seems like the person didnt make too big of a deal about it. It would be a shame to have to find a new church, it is not always easy

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

My church solution to hugging and patting all round during the meet and greet:
.38 in an ankle holster and some baggy bottom slacks with a bit too much length. So far, not even the most welcoming of brethern and sisters has hugged my ankles :biggrinjester:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

blue

Post by blue »

Short g--- search. 'Texas church shootings'..

Wedgwood Baptist - FW TX - 8 dead 1999.
Assembly of God - Sash TX 5 dead 2005.
Northpointe Baptist - Arlington TX 1 dead 2011.

------------

(Rumor of Wedgwood having a good turnout for CHL classes a short time later.)

Good Luck,
Blue

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

longtooth wrote:Well, at church tonight got busted. One patted me on the lower back, mag side. Oooohh, thought that was a .45.
No sir.
Yea you dont need one here.
Sure hope not.
Yep; if you end up needing the spare mag in a crowded sanctuary, something has gone really wrong. :shock:

speedsix
Posts in topic: 2

Post by speedsix »

...tell 'em like I told my wife when she finally realized I carry to church and asked me didn't I think God could handle His own problems at church: "Yep, and he'll use surrendered, well-trained and well-armed men to do it." If my church ever gave me official notice, I'd give them my official notice, too...I'll pray that Longtooth's situation settles out quietly...they told us in CHL renewal we'd be astonished to know how many North Texas pastors carry...

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 6

Post by longtooth »

All of the above is true & valid. No 30.06 so verbal will be what I get if anything. Doubt that though. As an Instructor I am definately equipped to talk to them about the gun free victim rich zones. Dont really think it is an issue w/ Pastor. Just hope for him it is not made an issue by members. God definately uses the surrendered & trained to attend the problems at church whether people or crime.

Again, OH well we will see. Biggest thing is the wife REALLY like the choir here. There are several really good preachers in the area here. Good music at some of those. This was the wife's real choice because of the choir along w/ the good preacher & good music.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

hangfour

Post by hangfour »

The church that I attend does a lot of bowing and prostrating during prayers. I (reluctantly) leave my gun in my car during service and prayers as I am quite concerned that my gun would fall on the carpet during prayers. I may get a little pocket holster for my Kahr pm9 ... the Kahr would stay in my pocket while on my knees. Thanks everyone for the informative posts on this 'delicate' subject.
There is an afterlife - what we do here matters!
Kahr pm9 (mama-bear)
Kimber pro CDP II (papa-bear)
S&W 38 special airweight (baby-bear)

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 4

Post by wgoforth »

speedsix wrote:...tell 'em like I told my wife when she finally realized I carry to church and asked me didn't I think God could handle His own problems at church: "Yep, and he'll use surrendered, well-trained and well-armed men to do it." If my church ever gave me official notice, I'd give them my official notice, too...I'll pray that Longtooth's situation settles out quietly...they told us in CHL renewal we'd be astonished to know how many North Texas pastors carry...
I have been told that too, and remind them that the world is His world too, but he allows man choices which means bad people can make bad choices to do bad things in His church buildings or in His world all the same as we can do good things. Why would He supernaturally prevent bad men from doing bad things in church buildings but not in the world? amazingly, I have even been told this by CHL holders who say it is proper to carry outside the church building, just not inside. Keep in mind there are church shootings regularly, only a few make nationwide media. Some of them are shootings at gangbangers funerals and the like.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 6

Post by longtooth »

Yakkno, Id goda church w/ you but the drive is too far. "rlol"
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

hangfour wrote:The church that I attend does a lot of bowing and prostrating during prayers. I (reluctantly) leave my gun in my car during service and prayers as I am quite concerned that my gun would fall on the carpet during prayers. I may get a little pocket holster for my Kahr pm9 ... the Kahr would stay in my pocket while on my knees. Thanks everyone for the informative posts on this 'delicate' subject.

...I carry everything IWB from 11-2 with a metal clip over the belt...crawl attics and under houses at work...at church I wear a shirt that I can wear tail out...anything from a P90 to a 2" J stays put...no discomfort or falling out, and is quickly accessible...might work for you, too...on my largest guns I move the clip on the holster up 1" to let the butt sit a bit lower in the belt...

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I had the good fortune to assist in teaching the class that my pastor attended a few weeks ago. His birthday was last month, so several of us like-minded individuals got together and bought him a Springfield XD for his birthday.
NRA lifetime member

TexasBill

Post by TexasBill »

For those who get the "let God handle it" line, remember Satan's temptation when Christ was in the desert (Luke 4:9-13):

And he took him to Jerusalem and set him on the pinnacle of the temple and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down from here, for it is written, "'He will command his angels concerning you, to guard you,' and "'On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone.'"

And Jesus answered him, "It is said, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'" And when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from him until an opportune time.

In other words, don't ask the Lord to save you from a lack of preparation.

For touchy-feely, huggy congregations, a Walther PPK or SIG P238 tucks in a back packet quite nicely. A pocket holster disguises the shape.
A government truly of the people, by the people and for the people has no need to disarm the people.

hangfour

Post by hangfour »

...I carry everything IWB from 11-2 with a metal clip over the belt...crawl attics and under houses at work...at church I wear a shirt that I can wear tail out...anything from a P90 to a 2" J stays put...no discomfort or falling out, and is quickly accessible...might work for you, too...on my largest guns I move the clip on the holster up 1" to let the butt sit a bit lower in the belt...
Thanks ... good idea. I sure don't like to leave my gun in the car during Friday prayers.
There is an afterlife - what we do here matters!
Kahr pm9 (mama-bear)
Kimber pro CDP II (papa-bear)
S&W 38 special airweight (baby-bear)

steve817

Post by steve817 »

blue wrote:Short g--- search. 'Texas church shootings'..

Wedgwood Baptist - FW TX - 8 dead 1999.
Assembly of God - Sash TX 5 dead 2005.
Northpointe Baptist - Arlington TX 1 dead 2011.

------------

(Rumor of Wedgwood having a good turnout for CHL classes a short time later.)

Good Luck,
Blue
For the record the killing at North Pointe wasn't a shooting.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”