Proper CH *size*

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

dburke87
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Proper CH *size*

Post by dburke87 »

I'm 5'7", 135-140lbs, and I seem to have trouble concealing even my Kimber Ultra CDP II. I've found it just about impossible wearing t-shirts, especially if I bend at the waist any bit, there goes the shirt up over the butt. If I'm not wearing a t-shirt, I'm wearing a tailored button down dress shirt which I feel more comfortable concealing my pistol under. Still, though, bending at the waist I feel causes a lot of printing, and sometimes causes the shirt to ride up over the butt also. Granted I have about a 28" waist and tighter fitting shirts, but I'm still experimenting with different carry methods. I carry IWB, about 3:30 right now. Just ordered a new CrossBreed SuperTuck so we'll see if that helps.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

For anyone:
Search the forum for:
J C Penneys big and TALL shop .... and Duluth Trading Company anti-plumbers-butt Tee shirts.

It made concealing much easier for me.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/XGN.aspx?De ... and%20tall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

dburke87

Post by dburke87 »

My problem is that I just won't sacrifice my dress style (again button-downs 95% of the time). So I just have to be more cautious, and maybe experiment with different holsters and positions more. My friend who also has his CHL says he can't even notice my Kimber when I wear a button-down, but hey I'm paranoid still after 3 years of CC I guess.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

J C Penneys big and TALL shop has "tall button downs," which have longer tails and you can properly "blouse" a bit at the belt.

They also have "Extra Tall" and "long"
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

dburke87

Post by dburke87 »

Well most button-downs are already "tall on me anyways because I'm short... And I guess thinking more into it, the issue really comes from the fact that it's not the bulge or anything, but more or less that the butt of the gun, even on a compact/officer's model, that winds up sticking out, and then "catching" my shirt as I stand back up or get out of a chair. Unless I carried SOB there's not really a place along the side of my waist flat and wide enough to conceal really well. I do conceal well enough beyond the point of anyone being able to notice, but I do have to pull my shirt tail back down when I get out of chairs or bend down.

Art S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Art S »

My primary carry is my xd 40 service most of the time owb t-shirt tucked over shirt out. when I need to look respectable and put on a tie I carry my pocket thunder .380. When it gets cold (lol) I sometimes wear my shoulder holster with my XD.

Later,
Art S. :anamatedbanana
Did you learn something new today and did you smile? if not, why?

Have a Great One,
Art S.

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

G23 99% of the time, model 36 S&W when I have to step outside for a few minutes and am not otherwise holstered. Jeans, slacks, shorts, T's, gollf shirts, button downs, tucked or untucked...no problem.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

My Primary cary is a Kahr P40 in a Galco King Tuk. I tried several different setups before finding this. Three days after getting the KT I was hooked.
I'm going to be ordering more for my other carry pieces.

Elza

Post by Elza »

I carry a Ruger P-90 at all times.

I’m a firm believer in muscle memory and want everything to be totally automatic. Having to stop and think about which gun does what and which one I’m carrying doesn’t work for me.
Fred Schroeder

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering, if during their life on earth, they made a difference in the world. But, soldiers don't have that problem.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 13

Post by speedsix »

...at my age, not to be confused with maturity, I'm the same way...I don't carry anything that's not DA on the first shot...prefer the decocker...won't own a decocker/safety 'cause I might get confoosed...both my P90s and my P97s are decockers...

sna0403

Post by sna0403 »

Hi, new guy here, but around weapons a long time. I carry my FS M&P .40 in shorts,"camp" shirt and flip-flops. It took me a while to figure it out tho.
M&P 40 FS

Skaven

Post by Skaven »

sna0403 wrote:Hi, new guy here, but around weapons a long time. I carry my FS M&P .40 in shorts,"camp" shirt and flip-flops. It took me a while to figure it out tho.

what holster do you use

sna0403

Post by sna0403 »

Believe it or not, I'm using a Yaqui slide OWB, but I'm ordering a Don Hume H721 O.T.
M&P 40 FS

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 8

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Excaliber wrote:That laziness is why I don't own a .380. If I did, I'd sometimes carry it. If I needed to use it, I'd kick myself for not carrying something more capable for the rest of my life, which in that situation might well be measured in seconds.

It's much less complicated to not own one and keep temptation at bay.
I have been thinking about this comment for a week or so. It is true. I never had a real problem concealing my 9mm, but after my son got his Kahr P380, I just had to have one. I don't feel the least bit of confidence in this weapon as a good self defense caliber. Just as Excaliber posted, I occasionally throw this thing in my pocket out of pure laziness. It is typically those times when I need to run a quick errand and I just don't feel like holstering up. It would not take me 2 extra minutes to put a holster with my PM9 on my waist but the temptation of throwing that mouse gun in my pocket is just too strong.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 13

Post by speedsix »

...do you believe that, under stress of a dangerous situation, you could employ the .380 pocket-sized gun as effectively and easily as you could your larger 9mm...accuracy and speed...as quick on followup shots???

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”