CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
paulhailes
Posts in topic: 1

Daily Toreador - Concealed Carry On Campus

Post by paulhailes »

Hey guys,

I work for the Daily Toreador, aka the Texas Tech University newspaper, we are doing an online poll for concealed carry on campus. The website is http://www.dailytoreador.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; its on the right side of the page, half way down. I doubt the poll will actually amount to anything, besides showing popular opinion, but I would hate to lose so if you've got some time, go vote.

Excaliber

Re: Daily Toreador - Concealed Carry On Campus

Post by Excaliber »

paulhailes wrote:Hey guys,

I work for the Daily Toreador, aka the Texas Tech University newspaper, we are doing an online poll for concealed carry on campus. The website is http://www.dailytoreador.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; its on the right side of the page, half way down. I doubt the poll will actually amount to anything, besides showing popular opinion, but I would hate to lose so if you've got some time, go vote.
When I voted at 9:30 today, the poll was showing 65% yes.

I've heard that some have suggested we take a page from the Democratic Party's playbook and do so early and often, while getting all our friends to do the same.

I couldn't encourage that.

It might skew the results.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Thank you.

I'd prefer to go to Tech if/when I go back, because Wayland Baptist University ... North of Lubbock has Graduate programs, but no law school. :mrgreen: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=44419#p537683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And.... UofH/TSU never "felt safe" at night by the law libraries
and ... South Texas is "downtown Houston" where I've witnessed and been a victim of several armed robberies
and San Antonio is ... San Antonio
and I lived in Dallas/Fort Worth before ....
and in Waco ... well,
Last edited by RPB on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

65% when I voted.

I wonder if anyone has tried to ban the "guns up" sign because it makes people fel uncomfortable having fingers pointed like a gun at others?
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

bigmoney

Post by bigmoney »

74% yes. that's a nice jump in 2 hours. Wonder how many actual votes that eaquals to
Don't choose a username while a stupid insurrance commercial is on the tv
M&P 9c edc
LCP bug
NRA

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

thanks for the heads up, I voted.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

NEB

Post by NEB »

RPB, Wayland alumn here. Well, undergraduate at least :D. Tech alumn for grad schoool, and currently a professor at TTUHSC.

As a former student and a current faculty memeber at TTUHSC, I sincerely hope campus carry passes. There are many times I work late in preparation for upcoming classes, and the one or two roaming security guards on the entire 5 story (+ a basement), multi-section building don't do a lot for my confidence. It's not as big of an issue as I'm not the most likely target (I'm a larger guy), but having to leave the firearm in the vehicle late at night doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. And why shouldn't I have the right to defend myself against like force while at work the same as I do at the grocery store, bank, or in my home?

--NEB

maestrobranson

Post by maestrobranson »

I had a conversation with a Texas tech PHD student today about concealed carry on campus. This particular gent has his chl, but doesn't carry often. He is of the opinion that ccw shouldn't be allowed ob campus, he is afraid that a young (read undergrad) student would get upset about a failing grade, allow their feelings to get the best of them and shoot the professor.I brought up the fact that anyone that would shoot someone over a grade wouldn't pay attention to the laws banning weapons in the building. Also, as we all know, the hoops that receiving a chl require are extensive and are designed to weed out the people who maybe shouldn't be carrying in the first place. *shrug* We just choose to disagree on that topic.
Class-2/12/11
Online Application-2/14/11
Papers sent-2/16/11
Updated online-3/25/11
Plastic in hand-4/12/2011

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”