Dallas Zoo

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
zx9rt1
Posts in topic: 2

Dallas Zoo

Post by zx9rt1 »

Does anyone know if it is o.k. to carry at the Dallas Zoo? We havent been there in a couple of years and are fixing head out this morning. As usual there is no info on the Dallas Zoo website. Any information?
"Processing Application"

The Annoyed Man

Re: Dallas Zoo

Post by The Annoyed Man »

zx9rt1 wrote:Does anyone know if it is o.k. to carry at the Dallas Zoo? We havent been there in a couple of years and are fixing head out this morning. As usual there is no info on the Dallas Zoo website. Any information?
texas3006.com says that as of January 2010, there is a non-compliant, english only, 30.06 sign with letters too small near the entrance in front of the Member Services Booth.

The zoo is owned by the city, but is operated by the Dallas Zoological Society. Apparently, they also say that they are a school. All of the legalities are muddy, and you may ultimately beat the time; but you may not beat the ride. I would say, do what you think you must. What "must" means is up to you.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
zx9rt1

Post by zx9rt1 »

Understood. This will be my last visit there.
"Processing Application"

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

The Dallas Zoo is still owned by the city, even though it's managed by a private company, so the 30.06 sign is unenforceable. As for the school designation, come on. How is the zoo a school? They have what they call a preschool, but a quick perusal of their website shows it's really a series of daytime activities for a child to participate in with his parent. I can find nothing which shows them to be an accredited educational institution.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Kythas wrote:The Dallas Zoo is still owned by the city, even though it's managed by a private company, so the 30.06 sign is unenforceable. As for the school designation, come on. How is the zoo a school? They have what they call a preschool, but a quick perusal of their website shows it's really a series of daytime activities for a child to participate in with his parent. I can find nothing which shows them to be an accredited educational institution.
They are not. But according to postings on texas3006.com, both they AND the Fort Worth Zoo claim to be schools. So, come on, disarm for the chiddren. :roll:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

They are just trying any excuse they can think of to skirt the law. I've carried in the Fort Worth Zoo every time I've been there for my child.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

C-dub wrote:They are just trying any excuse they can think of to skirt the law. I've carried in the Fort Worth Zoo every time I've been there for my child.
I suppose just in case you have to take out an escaping lion, tiger, or bear? (Oh My!) :smilelol5:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

RAM4171
Posts in topic: 3
Location: On a dead end dirt road in the deep dark woods of East TEXAS

Post by RAM4171 »

Or gorilla, like actually happened @ the Dallas Zoo in 2004
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4558461/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I go to the Dallas Zoo yearly and I always look for the signs and have yet to see one. Just keep it concealed unless there actually is a compliant sign the go to the car disarm, and take your chances with the violent gorillas. I also wouldn't really want to be caught in the neighbot hood around the Dallas Zoo unarmed.
Μολὼν λαβέ
Jesus was not politically correct, therefore I refuse to be
To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic-TN

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

sjfcontrol wrote:
C-dub wrote:They are just trying any excuse they can think of to skirt the law. I've carried in the Fort Worth Zoo every time I've been there for my child.
I suppose just in case you have to take out an escaping lion, tiger, or bear? (Oh My!) :smilelol5:
Hopefully, I would only have to deal with the two legged beasts.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Texas Size 11

Post by Texas Size 11 »

I carry there all of the time...
Never pet a burning dog...

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dragonfighter »

RAM4171 wrote:Or gorilla, like actually happened @ the Dallas Zoo in 2004
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4558461/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I go to the Dallas Zoo yearly and I always look for the signs and have yet to see one. Just keep it concealed unless there actually is a compliant sign the go to the car disarm, and take your chances with the violent gorillas. I also wouldn't really want to be caught in the neighbot hood around the Dallas Zoo unarmed.
I worked that one and it was nerve wracking as I thought the wife and girls were there. The only sign I have ever seen is on the thatched concierge gazebo INSIDE the gates. Been there for years.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

pcernuch
Posts in topic: 1

Post by pcernuch »

you wont catch me in south dallas with my family or without my sidearm.

god bless.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

RAM4171 wrote:Or gorilla, like actually happened @ the Dallas Zoo in 2004
I wouldn't exactly want to leave it in my car, there, either! window glass in a vehicle is mighty easy to break...
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

RAM4171
Posts in topic: 3
Location: On a dead end dirt road in the deep dark woods of East TEXAS

Post by RAM4171 »

that's why have 1 of those truck safe lock boxes in my truck ;-)
Μολὼν λαβέ
Jesus was not politically correct, therefore I refuse to be
To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic-TN

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

'grats!
most folks don't, though.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”