Dealing with Teens fighting a war in the Park!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Dealing with Teens fighting a war in the Park!

Post by MadMonkey »

nfs_king wrote: if any one knows where we can go in arlington texas to play with out getting in trouble with the cops please reply.
http://www.northtexasairsoft.org/boards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of fields around DFW.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

flb_78
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flb_78 »

Without actually being there, I would assume that the rifles in question were cheap toys from WalMart that are battery powered and "fire" at a whopping 200-225fps, not CO2 powered ones that can fire considerably faster. Ive shot one of these from WalMart and I would think that to actually put an eye out, you'd have to poke it out with the barrel.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Pulse ... r/14234805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Sting ... r/10248640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Pulse ... r/14234806" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe that's not what these kids were playing with, I don't know. Maybe their parents actually spent some money on the more powerful adult ones.

Once again, I wasn't there, but I probably would have talked to them about warning others who may be passing through and then picked up my chairs and moved down 50-100 feet out of their way.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

:willynilly: :willynilly: :willynilly:
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

flb_78 wrote:Without actually being there, I would assume that the rifles in question were cheap toys from WalMart that are battery powered and "fire" at a whopping 200-225fps, not CO2 powered ones that can fire considerably faster. Ive shot one of these from WalMart and I would think that to actually put an eye out, you'd have to poke it out with the barrel.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Pulse ... r/14234805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Sting ... r/10248640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Pulse ... r/14234806" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe that's not what these kids were playing with, I don't know. Maybe their parents actually spent some money on the more powerful adult ones.

Once again, I wasn't there, but I probably would have talked to them about warning others who may be passing through and then picked up my chairs and moved down 50-100 feet out of their way.
Airsoft guns are widely available and many are coming down in price... the majority of decent ones shoot from 300-400fps, and some of the unmodified ones will easily top 450fps... and that's the electrics. Some spring sniper rifles will shoot well over 550-600fps unmodified, and CO2 & green gas guns will shoot just as hard and harder. This is with .20 to half a gram (or over) BB's that will sting the crap out of you... as I've posted before, I have scars from past matches. The slowest-shooting gun I have is 170fps and it still has an effective range of well over 100', which is less than the typical guns that are accurate to 150+. And at those ranges, the BB's still hurt on unprotected skin... there's no way I'd risk being anywhere near them without eye protection as a minimum, WalMart gun or not. I've seen too many people who have lost sight because of them.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Texas_Tactical

Post by Texas_Tactical »

If it was me in that situation I would try to move to another place in the park if possible if not I would have definitely ask the boys to go elsewhere. I would not want kids playing with airsoft guns around me much-less my family.

chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

Dude. Relax. Really. The CHL in your wallet doesn't make you an officer........my .02 cents......
Chuckybrown

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 10

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I can't quit hanging on your words that "You can get shot. This is Texas". Can you esplain this one to me? I thought it was possible to get shot anywhere... except Kalifornia, where shooting folks is clearly against the law. :bigear:

03Lightningrocks

By the way. i think the Op handled it well. I remember reading of folks in this forum throwing down on Mormons for handing out Jesus Cd's. At least the Op didn't post up about how he almost pulled his weapon... ;-) . I wouldn't have threatened calling the cops. I certainly would have told them in very stern words to knock it off.

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Beiruty »

03Lightningrocks wrote:I can't quit hanging on your words that "You can get shot. This is Texas". Can you esplain this one to me? I thought it was possible to get shot anywhere... except Kalifornia, where shooting folks is clearly against the law. :bigear:
I meant if the kid was pointing what look like a black rifle at someone who might be armed, the armed person may draw on the poor kid as his action could be considered a threat.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

03Lightningrocks

Beiruty wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:I can't quit hanging on your words that "You can get shot. This is Texas". Can you esplain this one to me? I thought it was possible to get shot anywhere... except Kalifornia, where shooting folks is clearly against the law. :bigear:
I meant if the kid was pointing what look like a black rifle at someone who might be armed, the armed person may draw on the poor kid as his action could be considered a threat.
This was the comment I am curious about.
Beiruty wrote: 2) If you point what appears like a rifle you could get shot, or worse get killed. This is Texas!

Because this is Texas? I know you meant the kid could get shot by pointing a gun at someone but I don't get the thinking that this is due to being in Texas.

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Beiruty »

Ok, I was refering to that fact that in Texas citzens could be armed, we do have a CHL. Not like in Cali, NY or illinous or other Anti states. I know there are many more other states that have a CHL/shall issue.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

03Lightningrocks

Beiruty wrote:Ok, I was refering to that fact that in Texas citzens could be armed, we do have a CHL. Not like in Cali, NY or illinous or other Anti states. I know there are many more other states that have a CHL/shall issue.
Oh... I see. I was just feeling a little bit like I do when someone refers to me as "you people". It makes me want to ask what they have against really good looking 50 year old white guys. :mrgreen:

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

I think the OP didn't go too overboard, but based on the kid coming to apologize I believe that the OP could have gotten the same results with a friendly, "Hey guys, we're trying to eat here, could you please move the war somewhere safer?" A decent kid would apologize, and not need to be threatened about calling the cops. A punk would have seen the threat as a chance to escalate the situation (until you actually made good on your threat).

I'm just a big fan of appealing to a person's common decency first, before getting mad at them and making threats. To each his own. :tiphat:

As for airsoft / bb guns potentially getting kids shot... well, this happened in the Southlake / DFW area:

Linked due to some foul language:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC6fsEyXlJ8

There have also been countless news reports of people being shot for having anything from a water nozzle to a cell phone or a wallet. Many of these times it's responding LEOs, who you'd expect to have some training in handling such situations. I can definitely see why someone would be more weary of running around with what appears to be a gun in a state where 2% of the regular citizens carry.
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

03Lightningrocks

Fangs wrote: I can definitely see why someone would be more weary of running around with what appears to be a gun in a state where 2% of the regular citizens carry.
Wow! That sounds like an argument for ending CHL's. You just drilled in on the point I was making. More CHL holders = higher risk of innocent lives being taken???? Just for the record, I disagree completely. Isn't a CHL holder suppose to be more educated and responsible than the average non-CHL holder?

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

To quote you from Taco Bell shooting thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43376
03Lightningrocks wrote:He is lucky those cops were not better shots. I can't believe he didn't get killed by them! :shock: The world has definitely gone mad! From the story he looked to be getting ready to wage war on the place. I am afraid I would have blasted him before he could get those weapons in action. Pointing the gun at me and pulling the trigger would just make me think it misfired and I better respond quickly or die with a follow up round. BB gun would not have entered my mind. Just curious, how many of you would have fired at that guy if you were the person at the window and carrying concealed?
From your previous post in this thread I'm having a hard time understanding whether you agree with me and yourself from the other thread, or not.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, and if you'll notice I gave examples of LEOs mistaking all manner of things to be guns with fatal results. You'd think they would be even better trained to handle such situations than CHLers.

All I was saying is that I can definitely see why someone would be more weary of running around with what appears to be a gun in a state where 2% of the regular citizens carry. It's not an argument against CHL, IMHO, it's an argument against stupid behavior.

:tiphat:
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”