Restaurants with bars. (Chili's etc)

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 19

Post by txinvestigator »

propellerhead wrote:I carry at Chili's all the time. Often, I sit in the bar are because tables are almost always readily available. I'm a non-smoker but I can tolerate sitting in the smoking section at Chili's.

So, have we decided whether the bar at restaurants were off-limits?
If the bar has a license separate from the establishment, then yes it would be off limits separate from the restaurant.

An easy way to tell is to look for the sign at or near the restaurant entrance that explains it is "unlawful for a person to carry a weapon on the premises unless
the weapon is a concealed handgun of the same category the person is
licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code."

If that sign is at the entrance, then the entire premise is under the TABC license. If not, but there is a sign at the bar, then it is likely the bar has a license and the restaurant is not part of the license.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Russell wrote:However if the place has an "unlicensed weapon" sign, then you're golden. Right? :)

Unless it derives 51% or more....... You get my drift.
*CHL Instructor*

kauboy
Posts in topic: 17

Post by kauboy »

What TX means is that if they have a license to sell alcohol, then they must have the "unlicensed weapons" sign. It also means that the entire restaurant is covered by it. Now, if the either, or both, sides of the establishment generate a combined 51% of sales due to alcohol, then you cannot carry there.

However, if they have the "unlicensed weapons" sign, and you are positive that they do not meet the "51%" req, then yes, you are "golden".
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

kauboy wrote:What TX means is that if they have a license to sell alcohol, then they must have the "unlicensed weapons" sign. It also means that the entire restaurant is covered by it. Now, if the either, or both, sides of the establishment generate a combined 51% of sales due to alcohol, then you cannot carry there.

However, if they have the "unlicensed weapons" sign, and you are positive that they do not meet the "51%" req, then yes, you are "golden".
Yes. However, I have seen some places where the "bar" has its own license and is separate from the restaurant. In that case, the bar is a no-go, but the restaurant is good.
*CHL Instructor*

propellerhead
Posts in topic: 4

Post by propellerhead »

Let's continue with the Chili's example. Let's assume there are no 30.06 signs....

So if the bar's license only applies to the bar, then it most likely falls in the 51% category, which means I could not carry at the bar. The restaurant part would be ok. The "unlicensed possesion" sign would typically be posted at the bar. On the other hand, if the license covers the bar AND restaurant as one, then most likely they do not fall under the 51% category, which means I can carry anywhere in the restaurant. The "unlicensed possesion" sign in this case would typically be posted at the main entrance. Does that sound about right?

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

propellerhead wrote:Let's continue with the Chili's example. Let's assume there are no 30.06 signs....

So if the bar's license only applies to the bar, then it most likely falls in the 51% category, which means I could not carry at the bar. The restaurant part would be ok. The "unlicensed possesion" sign would typically be posted at the bar. On the other hand, if the license covers the bar AND restaurant as one, then most likely they do not fall under the 51% category, which means I can carry anywhere in the restaurant. The "unlicensed possesion" sign in this case would typically be posted at the main entrance. Does that sound about right?
yes
*CHL Instructor*

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by KBCraig »

propellerhead wrote:Let's continue with the Chili's example. Let's assume there are no 30.06 signs....

No matter what class of license they have, any restriction applies to the entire licensed premises. You don't know the limits of the premises without seeing more paperwork than they've got posted on the wall. While you should never say never when it comes to the crazy-quilt Texas alcohol rules, a general rule is that you cannot leave the licensed premises with a drink.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

KBCraig wrote:

No matter what class of license they have, any restriction applies to the entire licensed premises. You don't know the limits of the premises without seeing more paperwork than they've got posted on the wall. While you should never say never when it comes to the crazy-quilt Texas alcohol rules, a general rule is that you cannot leave the licensed premises with a drink.
You are correct. However, for TABC licensing, a business inside a presmises CAN be individually licensed.
*CHL Instructor*

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by KBCraig »

txinvestigator wrote:
KBCraig wrote:No matter what class of license they have, any restriction applies to the entire licensed premises. You don't know the limits of the premises without seeing more paperwork than they've got posted on the wall.
You are correct. However, for TABC licensing, a business inside a presmises CAN be individually licensed.
Yes, that's my point: the individual licensee inside will have its own "premises description" within the license, which might or might not extend to a portion of the larger premises.

Case in point: you can (theoretically) have a bar in a mall. The licensed premises will not be the entire mall, and there will probably be signs at the bar exit, warning customers that they can't carry drinks past that point.

Whatever those "licensed premises" limits are where drinking is allowed, are the same boundaries that CHLs must observe.

Kevin

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

KBCraig wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
KBCraig wrote:No matter what class of license they have, any restriction applies to the entire licensed premises. You don't know the limits of the premises without seeing more paperwork than they've got posted on the wall.
Yes, that's my point: the individual licensee inside will have its own "premises description" within the license, which might or might not extend to a portion of the larger premises.

Case in point: you can (theoretically) have a bar in a mall. The licensed premises will not be the entire mall, and there will probably be signs at the bar exit, warning customers that they can't carry drinks past that point.

Whatever those "licensed premises" limits are where drinking is allowed, are the same boundaries that CHLs must observe.

Kevin
said much better than I did. :thumbsup:
*CHL Instructor*

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Thanks. I emailed Chili's to ask about the branch near me. I'll post their reply if any.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

When the CHL law was first passed and went into effect in '96, I recall Chili's as one of the business's that posted.

In June 2003, I had an exchange with then Chili's Director of Security:

Bill Heine
Brinker International
6820 LBJ Freeway
Dallas, TX 75240

I told him I hadn't eaten at Chili's for 7 years because of the initial posting. Anyway, sometime prior to 2003, they began posting only the 'Unlicensed Possession' sign.

BTW, all of the Pappas restuarants posted in 1996 and I have never eaten at another of their establishments. (That's pretty hard to do in the Houston area.) Anyone know their current attitude?
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Roger Howard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Roger Howard »

Russell wrote:
S&W6946 wrote:I don't know why you couldn't sit at the bar counter while carrying if its not posted 51% or 30.06
ive had seperate dissenting opinions saying that bar counters at restaurants can be posted 51%, while the remaining business is not :???:
If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Lucky45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lucky45 »

kauboy wrote:
§ 411.20 NOTICE REQUIRED ON CERTAIN PREMISES.......However, it strictly points out that only the "sale of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption" is counted toward the 51% tally.
But, like you said, even if they don't post it, it's still our responsibility to know and act accordingly.

What really puzzles me is that subsection(b) says that a hospital "shall" display as well. Does this follow the same logic as "we should know it even if they don't show it"? Even if a hospital doesn't display this sign, can we still carry there? I know that 30.06 says we can't if a proper 30.06 sign is present, but why include this section here?

According to PC 46.035 Unlawfal Carrying of Handgun by CHL (i).... Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor
was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

(b)(4) is on the premises of a licensed hospital or nursing home.

So if they do not post on a hospital then you can legally carry there. A bar does not have to post.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”