Dealing with Teens fighting a war in the Park!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 12

Dealing with Teens fighting a war in the Park!

Post by Beiruty »

Yesterday, my kids had a day off and I was off too. We decided to take the kids to a park (a new park in our city that we do not frequent so often, next to a nice pond full of ducks).
We arrived and then proceeded to unload our folding chairs and our pick-nick lunch. My 2 kids run straight to the play ground. As I do my first approach, I notice a kid, a 14 yrs boy holding what appears to be toy rifle that was emitting electric gun fire. I knew it was a toy, but I immediately started hearing the wizzing sound of flying projectiles(soft balls?). That damn thing was shooting in full blast soft balls in my direction. The kid was standing 2-3 ft behind a tree and firing to the direction of the play ground/slides. I was just passing in the middle of his fireline.

That got to my nerve when I looked at the kid and he kept pointing his plastic toy at my direction and firing some more! I yelled at him to stop where he was cause I am calling the Police. :totap: He respond, "please Don't we are fighting a war!" :grumble

My wife came after me saying they are just kids and there are 2 more kids hiding in the playground behind the slide firing back at that boy and begged me not to call the police. She added, "they are just kids, playing around". I got more frustrated by her attitude, but decided to better cool down in my car while still holding my cell phone in my hand.

The older teen yelled back we are leaving and was packing in hurry. 30 sec later he approaches my car and wave that he would like to talk to me. In short, he wanted to apologize and I drilled him down that:
1) You can't play war in public park with flying projectiles. Soft balls, BB using a toy or whatever, you can't do that. It is illegal.
2) If you point what appears like a rifle you could get shot, or worse get killed. This is Texas!

The kid was apologizing a bit more and silently went back home with his 2 friends. I hope he learned a lesson. The next 15min I was cooling down and trying to enjoy the rest of the breeze, cold and partially sunny day. :cool:
Last edited by Beiruty on Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

3dfxMM
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dealing with Teens fighting a war in the Park!

Post by 3dfxMM »

This is a new one on me. What law were they breaking?

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

While I agree with point 2, that someone surprised by someone else pointing a projectile firing weapon in their direction might respond in kind, I would like to know what law they were violating in #1.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

City Code, Park and Recreation:

Sec. 11-18. - Prohibited acts.

It shall be unlawful for any person to commit any one (1) or more of the following acts in a park:
6)
To carry, (unless permitted under (5) above), or discharge firearms, fireworks, bb guns, airguns, bows and arrows, slingshots, blowgun, rockets or paint-ball guns unless authorized by the director.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/13969/ ... S11-18PRAC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beiruty,

bcdudley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bcdudley »

just my opinion, but I think you over reacted a bit. There is a big difference between a bb gun or a paint ball gun, and a nerf gun. If the police were called, I would hope they would not do anything to kids playing in a park.

It sounds like they were already having their "war" and you decided to sit in the middle of their battleground and make it an issue. If other kids and parents are not complaining about it, then let it go.

Again, just my opinion on what I would have done.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

bcdudley wrote:just my opinion, but I think you over reacted a bit. There is a big difference between a bb gun or a paint ball gun, and a nerf gun. If the police were called, I would hope they would not do anything to kids playing in a park.

It sounds like they were already having their "war" and you decided to sit in the middle of their battleground and make it an issue. If other kids and parents are not complaining about it, then let it go.

What nerf gun? What are those toys that shoot BB size or bit bigger balls with compressed CO2?

Something like this one:
Image.

Info: http://www.airgundepot.com/aftermath-ki ... rsoft.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spec:
Specifications:
Body Components: ABS Plastic with Metal Skeleton
Mechbox Type: Version 2
Bushings: Plastic
Spring Guide: Plastic
Overall Length: 33.46 Inches
External Barrel: Metal
Inner Barrel Length: 363mm
Motor Type: Long Shaft Type Motor
Hop Up: Adjustable
Fire Mode: Semi & Full Auto
Gun Weight: 7.5 Pounds
Muzzle Velocity: 380 FPS with .20 gram BBs
Front Sight: Flip Up Adjustable Horizontal
Rear Sight: Flip Up Adjustable Windage
Effective Range: 175 Feet
Battery Pack Size: Small Pack with Mini-Tamiya Connector

Package includes:
Kirenex AEG Airsoft Rifle, Manual, Fore Grip, 300 Round High Capacity Magazine, 8.4v 1200mAh Batter and Charger.

We recommend only using high quality .20g and .25g BBs for higher performance, better accuracy and to prolong the life of your gun.
Beiruty,

bcdudley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bcdudley »

You said soft balls
Beiruty wrote:I knew it was a toy, but I immediately started hearing the wizzing sound of flying projectiles(soft balls?). That darn thing was shooting in full blast soft balls in my direction.:
To me, that means a gun like this one.

You said nothing about an airsoft gun. That is a little different situation. While I am not sure they would technically be illegal, they definitely should not be using those around smaller children. While my reaction might not have been quite as strong as yours, I can see where you are coming from when there is a more accurate picture. I would have definitely told them to leave the premises and find a more suitable location without small children or other people around.If they hadn't left, then I would have threatened to call the police.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Oldgringo »

For an historic first, I agree with Beiruty on this matter.

Other issues remain issues. :tiphat:

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

Don't call the police for a nerd gun. We have plenty else to deal with. The kids were having fun at a park. That's why it's there right? So they're not out vandalizing and slinging dope?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

gigag04 wrote:Don't call the police for a nerd gun. We have plenty else to deal with. The kids were having fun at a park. That's why it's there right? So they're not out vandalizing and slinging dope?
I agree. Scare tactics, Just wasn't on that scare tactics tv show. I agree the boy looked like a nerd. :biggrinjester:
Beiruty,

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Oldgringo »

gigag04 wrote:...The kids were having fun at a park....
My only run in with the law happened while having fun in a Nashville park in 1962. That misunderstanding cost me several hours in the Nashville jail up and $50 of 1962 money. The Park Police took me and our beer, the girl I was having fun with took my Dad's car to go find bail.

I've oftened wondered whatever happened to Bonnie? Aaah, those were the good 'ol days.

jmra

Post by jmra »

I would have asked if they had another toy gun so I could play too. Looks like fun.
Sounds like all work and no play makes beiruty a very dull boy.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The good outcome that this thread is making me :lol: :lol:
Beiruty,

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

Beiruty wrote:
bcdudley wrote:just my opinion, but I think you over reacted a bit. There is a big difference between a bb gun or a paint ball gun, and a nerf gun. If the police were called, I would hope they would not do anything to kids playing in a park.

What nerf gun? What are those toys that shoot BB size or bit bigger balls with compressed CO2?

Something like this one:
Image.

Info: http://www.airgundepot.com/aftermath-ki ... rsoft.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That would be what is called an "airsoft" gun. I agree with you on this one, not to be cliche but those things can put an eye out.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”