CBS11 Dallas airing a story about CHL on college campus

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BowhunterMac
Posts in topic: 1

CBS11 Dallas airing a story about CHL on college campus

Post by BowhunterMac »

CBS 11 in Dallas is airing a story about concealed carry on college campus tonight at 10PM 2/20/2011.....just FYI

RAM4171
Location: On a dead end dirt road in the deep dark woods of East TEXAS

Re: CBS11 Dallas airing a story about CHL on college campus

Post by RAM4171 »

just let the DVR so I don't miss it
Μολὼν λαβέ
Jesus was not politically correct, therefore I refuse to be
To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic-TN

Tregs

Post by Tregs »

Short piece. Mainly just stated that it was controversial and is gaining momentum in the Texas House.

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 5

Post by hirundo82 »

Tregs wrote:Short piece. Mainly just stated that it was controversial and is gaining momentum in the Texas House.
Someone must be trying to get the word out aout this bill; there have been a bunch of stories on this in the past couple of days.

The Houston Chronicle had an article about it yesterday, and Fox 26 had a story this morning--short, saying it was likely to pass, then went to UH and found a bunch of students who opposed it because they were afraid their classmates would go nuts and shoot up the class and "school should be a safe place." :roll:
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

glocklvr

Post by glocklvr »

hirundo82 wrote:school should be a safe place

:iagree:

That's why they need to do away with the unarmed victim zones
It is easier to get an airport security clearance than a CHL

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

Article from there with a POLL is on their site

Poll here
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/02/21/texa ... king-heat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should guns be allowed on college campuses in Texas?
Yes 41.18%
No 58.82%
Opponents, including Texas Christian University (TCU) Professor John Harvey,

Charles Cotton, with the National Rifle Association, disagrees with Harvey and says
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

SIGnificant

Post by SIGnificant »

hirundo82 wrote:
Tregs wrote:....then went to UH and found a bunch of students who opposed it because they were afraid their classmates would go nuts and shoot up the class and "school should be a safe place." :roll:
Funny you should mention UH. If there is a school in Texas that needs campus carrying, its UH. I graduated from there in 2008, the school is surrounded by some of the worst neighborhoods infested with drugs, criminals, and prostitution. There have been a few occasions were I've seen obvious crackheads wondering on campus. Furthermore, It has always bothered me having to walk out the parking lot after doing some late night studying with no protection.
SIG P226
SIG P226 25th Anniversary Commemorative
SIG P229R

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Everybody's focusing on students. What this bill really does is make colleges the same as most other locations. CHL holders can (generally) carry concealed, whether they are visitors, professors, employees, etc., just like virtually everywhere else in Texas. Presumably there's still a law against murder.

I wonder, does the bill come with employee protections to prevent firing/expulsion of CHL's who carry?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

SIGnificant wrote:Funny you should mention UH. If there is a school in Texas that needs campus carrying, its UH. I graduated from there in 2008, the school is surrounded by some of the worst neighborhoods infested with drugs, criminals, and prostitution. There have been a few occasions were I've seen obvious crackheads wondering on campus. Furthermore, It has always bothered me having to walk out the parking lot after doing some late night studying with no protection.
There have been at least a couple murders on the UH campus that I can recall since I moved to Houston in 2005. The students aren't paying attention if they think the campus is safe.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

ScottDLS wrote:I wonder, does the bill come with employee protections to prevent firing/expulsion of CHL's who carry?
I'd think that would be covered under the part of the bill prohibiting the schools from adopting "any rule, regulation, or other provision prohibiting license holders from carrying handguns on the campus of the institution."

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The John Woods ilk must be keeping tabs on these polls because they are starting out against campus-carry, but change when the word reaches a larger segment of the population.

Hit the poll folks.

Chas.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Hit the poll folks.

Chas.
The sites sometimes keep track of where the hits on their polls are coming from, and block results if they are all coming from one place. If you want to prevent that, right-click and copy the shortcut, then open a new browser window and paste in the address bar to go to the poll.

Keith

Post by Keith »

Vote Vote Vote!!! :tiphat:
When the bullet leaves
You can't bring it back

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The John Woods ilk must be keeping tabs on these polls because they are starting out against campus-carry, but change when the word reaches a larger segment of the population.

Hit the poll folks.

Chas.
Keith wrote:Vote Vote Vote!!! :tiphat:
Should guns be allowed on college campuses in Texas?
Yes 42.67%

No 57.33%
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/02/21/texa ... king-heat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”