Encounter with 30.06 establishment

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
USA1
Posts in topic: 3

Encounter with 30.06 establishment

Post by USA1 »

So I'm walking up to Cash America Pawn to see what used guns they had for sale as I regularly do when I noticed a legal 30.06 sign posted next to the front door. I don't recall it ever being there before. I wanted to go in and ask them about the sign so I go back and discreetly lock my gun up in the truck.

I go in and browse at the guns and wait for the manager to assist me. I told her that I noticed the 30.06 sign and wondered why they have it. She said it was something that "corporate" does because they don't want people coming in with "loaded" guns because sometimes they get irate customers and if those irate customers had a gun they might pull it out and start shooting, so the sign is there to protect the employees. :skep:

She even said you can't carry a gun in here just like you can't carry a gun in a bank.(as if to appease me)
I promptly informed her that she is wrong about that.

I explained to her that I was a CHL holder, and all CHL holders must pass extensive background checks, cannot have any violent criminal history, and must pass a course to be well versed in the laws pertaining to legally carrying a firearm.

I also told her that the type of person that meets these requirements is not the type of person that will pull out a gun and start shooting up the place when things don't go their way. I let her know that the bad guys don't care about the sign and it will do nothing to stop them from doing whatever they're going to do.

In short I made it known that there are thousands of CHL holders who feel that they and their money are not welcomed in establishments that post these signs and we prefer take our business elsewhere.

I'm sure it did no good and the sign will remain, but it's the principle that matters.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Encounter with 30.06 establishment

Post by A-R »

Good job, USA1 :thumbs2:

Gotta tell them why they'll get no more of your business before you stop going in there.

Be sure to also post on http://www.texas3006.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and write a letter to the CEO expressing your dissatisfaction. Heck, point out that as a pawn shop that deals in guns they have an FFL like any gun shop (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this) and that ANY gun store that posted 30.06 would be out of business QUICKLY for offending its customer base.

Topic author
USA1

Post by USA1 »

austinrealtor wrote: Be sure to also post on http://www.texas3006.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep, I told her there was a website that lists such businesses and that I was obligated to add Cash America Pawn if it wasn't already listed. I also mentioned that I was a member of an organization of CHL holders (meaning this forum) that share the information amongst ourselves as well as the general public.

timdsmith72

Post by timdsmith72 »

Wow! Good job USA1!! :tiphat:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

timdsmith72 wrote:Wow! Good job USA1!! :tiphat:
:iagree: Now I know where to go if I want to see a genuine valid 30.06 sign. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

tboesche

Post by tboesche »

Well done
"Water's, wet, The sky is blue. And old Satan Claws, He's out there, and he's just getting stronger." Joe Halenbeck
"So what do we do about it?" Jimmie Dix
"Be prepared, Junior, That's my motto, Be Prepared". Joe Halenbeck

texanron

Post by texanron »

Way to go Partner! I actually thought about stopping in there recently to see what they had for sale. In light of your findings, I'll continue to take my business up the road to Tomball Pawn.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

I will avoid their stores.
Skip Bishop

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

I was about to write corporate "I'm sorry you do not want the business of the over 460,000 potential customers ...."

but first checked 3006.com

The only one listed on 3006.com is 5801 Burnet Road in Austin and sign listed as "not valid" on that listing. (No Spanish)
See the comments there ... I'll hold off writing.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

nyj

Post by nyj »

good job, sir

glocklvr

Post by glocklvr »

good job of telling them that if we can't have our :fire they can't have our $$$$
It is easier to get an airport security clearance than a CHL

Topic author
USA1

Post by USA1 »

RPB wrote:I was about to write corporate "I'm sorry you do not want the business of the over 460,000 potential customers ...."

but first checked 3006.com

The only one listed on 3006.com is 5801 Burnet Road in Austin and sign listed as "not valid" on that listing. (No Spanish)
See the comments there ... I'll hold off writing.
I'll get back by there this weekend and take a pic.
Then I'll post it here and also add it to 3006 once I verify that is is indeed 100% legit.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

USA1 wrote:SI go in and browse at the guns and wait for the manager to assist me. I told her that I noticed the 30.06 sign and wondered why they have it. She said it was something that "corporate" does because they don't want people coming in with "loaded" guns because sometimes they get irate customers and if those irate customers had a gun they might pull it out and start shooting, so the sign is there to protect the employees. :skep:

She even said you can't carry a gun in here just like you can't carry a gun in a bank.(as if to appease me)

Makes me wonder why the police need guns? Why don't don't they just have uniforms with signs front and back that say "no one allowed to display or discharge a weapon in my presence?" Instead of SWAT raids they could just inform the bad guys that they're equipped with signs that prohibit anyone from possessing or discharging a firearm.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Doug.38PR

Post by Doug.38PR »

USA1 wrote:So I'm walking up to Cash America Pawn to see what used guns they had for sale as I regularly do when I noticed a legal 30.06 sign posted next to the front door. I don't recall it ever being there before. I wanted to go in and ask them about the sign so I go back and discreetly lock my gun up in the truck.

I go in and browse at the guns and wait for the manager to assist me. I told her that I noticed the 30.06 sign and wondered why they have it. She said it was something that "corporate" does because they don't want people coming in with "loaded" guns because sometimes they get irate customers and if those irate customers had a gun they might pull it out and start shooting, so the sign is there to protect the employees. :skep:

I promptly informed her that she is wrong about that.

I explained to her that I was a CHL holder, and all CHL holders must pass extensive background checks, cannot have any violent criminal history, and must pass a course to be well versed in the laws pertaining to legally carrying a firearm.

I also told her that the type of person that meets these requirements is not the type of person that will pull out a gun and start shooting up the place when things don't go their way. I let her know that the bad guys don't care about the sign and it will do nothing to stop them from doing whatever they're going to do.

In short I made it known that there are thousands of CHL holders who feel that they and their money are not welcomed in establishments that post these signs and we prefer take our business elsewhere.

I'm sure it did no good and the sign will remain, but it's the principle that matters.
it probably will do no good as you say. Glad you stood up for pinciple. I would have not said anything though. This woman now knows that you regularly carry a handgun and are "passionate" about it. If she ever spots you in a crowd or in a restaurant she could tell a manager or policeman that "that man over there might very well have a gun." It could open you up to hasseling.

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

Doug.38PR wrote: it probably will do no good as you say. Glad you stood up for pinciple. I would have not said anything though. This woman now knows that you regularly carry a handgun and are "passionate" about it. If she ever spots you in a crowd or in a restaurant she could tell a manager or policeman that "that man over there might very well have a gun." It could open you up to hasseling.
i doubt most people would do something like that, but the fact that we even have to consider it alarms me... have you ever studied or read into the history of the Bolshevik revolution and what followed? simply accusing someone of being anti-communist/Leninist/Stalinist could land them in prison or in front of a firing squad. there's a fictional book by Robert Littell called The Revolutionist that gives a pretty good perspective of what the Bolsheviks (and paranoia in general) did to Russia and the USSR. i really hope we don't ever get to the point where someone can simply tell a policeman "hey i think that man may have a gun" and they'd get hassled/searched/arrested as a result.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”