OK driver licence + Greencard => TX CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
kcsen
Posts in topic: 2

OK driver licence + Greencard => TX CHL?

Post by kcsen »

Just moved to Texas from Oklahoma. I'm not a US citizen but I'm a permanent resident (green card) in US for over 10 years. I also currently carry an OK driver license because I have not got a chance to go to the DPS to switch to a TX driver license yet. Can I get a TX CHL now?

I went to a gun show in Houston today and a CHL instructor told me that I'm a perfect applicant for TX CHL and assured me that there is not issue getting the TX CHL for me. Please comment. Thanks.

kcsen

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OK driver licence + Greencard => TX CHL?

Post by Beiruty »

welcome, get a TX driver lic (not a rquiements but makes you a TX resident) and you are good to go.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Skydivesnake

Post by Skydivesnake »

I think you'll need a Tx drivers licence and/or ID to demonstrate your residency. You are probably also probably going to find it tricky buying a firearm from an FFL in Texas until you have 90 days worth of Texan utility bills to show. I'm a perm res with CHL and I still have to show these docs to satisfy the ATF's '90 days continuous residency' requirement - not sure how it would work if you have, say, one Tx bill and two OK bills. My FFL was recently audited and reconfirmed that requirement with the ATF guy.

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

Welcome to Texas. I agree with the other posts that you should get a TX DL first.

Get you a CHL Handbook from the TDPS website and start studying. Doesn't matter how much time before you take the class. You can't learn to much about the laws. Any questions you have I hope you will ask them here. I am sure someone can show you the answer in writing or at least a consensus of opinions from some knowledgeable people.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
kcsen

Post by kcsen »

Thanks for the feedback!
I went to TDPS and got my TX driver license today. I was surprised that I got a temp license (paper) and the permanent one (plastic) is coming in mail a couple weeks later. In OK, people get the plastic immediately.

I've already signed up for the CHL class for this Sunday. Will there be any issue attending the class and get the paperwork from the instructor if I'm carrying a temp driver license?

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Shouldn't be any issues at all unless they are specific to the instructor.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Texas Size 11

Post by Texas Size 11 »

kcsen wrote:Thanks for the feedback!
I went to TDPS and got my TX driver license today. I was surprised that I got a temp license (paper) and the permanent one (plastic) is coming in mail a couple weeks later. In OK, people get the plastic immediately.

I've already signed up for the CHL class for this Sunday. Will there be any issue attending the class and get the paperwork from the instructor if I'm carrying a temp driver license?
I took my passport for ID since I was born outside the US (even though it was a military base).
Never pet a burning dog...

NightTrainHD

Post by NightTrainHD »

My wife also has a green card. She got her CHL with no issues but when going to purchase a new firearm make sure you bring 90 days of utility bills. As stated above. They do want proof of you being here for 90 days. Kind of a pain every time she wants to buy a new gun but it is what it is.
Incoming fire always has the right of way.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

NightTrainHD wrote:My wife also has a green card. She got her CHL with no issues but when going to purchase a new firearm make sure you bring 90 days of utility bills. As stated above. They do want proof of you being here for 90 days. Kind of a pain every time she wants to buy a new gun but it is what it is.
No problem, I would be happy to send her my utility bills. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

NightTrainHD

Post by NightTrainHD »

WildBill wrote:
NightTrainHD wrote:My wife also has a green card. She got her CHL with no issues but when going to purchase a new firearm make sure you bring 90 days of utility bills. As stated above. They do want proof of you being here for 90 days. Kind of a pain every time she wants to buy a new gun but it is what it is.
No problem, I would be happy to send her my utility bills. :mrgreen:
Well thanks but I am trying to find someone to send some of mine to. :lol::
Incoming fire always has the right of way.

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

In OK, people get the plastic immediately.
Colorado, too.
TX CHL 1997

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”