CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Embalmo
Posts in topic: 7

Concealed Carry On Campus Forum at TX State

Post by Embalmo »

Guys,

I received this in my Bobcat Mail inbox today. It'll likely have an anti-gun bias, but it'll be cool if a large number of pro-2nds show up. I'm definitely going.

Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,

The Associated Student Government (ASG) will host the "Concealed Carry On Campus Forum" on Monday, November 22, 2010, in the LBJ Student Center Teaching Theater from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. The objective of this forum is to facilitate an honest and productive dialogue about the subject of concealed carry of handguns on college campuses. ASG Senators will be participating and listening, as they will vote on a resolution regarding this subject at a later time. The Texas Legislature will debate a bill regarding this issue during their legislative session this upcoming spring. This is the perfect time to provide input on such an important topic.
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

NEB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Concealed Carry On Campus Forum at TX State

Post by NEB »

It's extremely important that we attend these type of events and present honest and intelligent arguments supporting concealed campus carry. That being said, it sure is hard to sit through some of the anti-gun babble that always tends to show up at these type of forums. I guess the important thing is that the forum is occuring at all. At least people are talking about this important topic.

As a faculty member in a post-graduate program at a state college, I'm closely watching to see how this turns out in the legislature. There is a distinct possibility that even if concealed carry is allowed on campuses, I would be prohibited from carrying out this right via my employee handbook. :grumble I've thought to myself what I could do in the event of a psycho coming into my building and shooting the place up. Right now the choices I've come up with include locking my door and crawling under my desk, throwing something at the offender, or trying to tackle him before I got shot :headscratch. Sure would be nice to defend myself and my students/coworkers from deadly force with an equal opposing force.

--NEB

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Ignorance fuels these things. Print up a bunch of business cards that list the requirements for a CHL in Texas. Print up a flyer that lists the statistics on CHL crime rates. I have never seen any news organization list the requirements for a CHL nor even mention the background check. The result is the general public is under the impression a CHL license is easy to get and that 18 year olds would be carrying. It's time we educated those in higher education...
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

texas1234

Post by texas1234 »

I just want to know how the"ASJ Senators" vote on their resolution. Please update this post. I am curious to see what our young developing minds are thinking these days.
6th Generation Texan

Topic author
Embalmo

Post by Embalmo »

Guys,

I brought up the subject a couple of weeks ago on the night of the A&M scare in my SPED EDUC class at TX State. The whole class, including the professor was in favor of campus carry. I go to the Round Rock campus, which is is conservative Williamson county, but still that is extremely impressive. I was ready, and kinda' looking forward to an opportunity to politely educate some young minds. Yesterday I even met another CHL in the class.

Embalmo

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I sure would like to make this Monday. I'll try to move some things around. Do you know anything about the format? That is, will comments from the audience be taken or is the meeting structure such that only students can speak?

Chas.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 21

Post by RPB »

More info at:
http://star.txstate.edu/content/conceal ... nday-night" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ASG’s proposed resolution reads students agree with the university’s policy that concealed handguns on campus are and should remain prohibited. However, the resolution was authored to state ASG is issuing it on behalf of the majority of the student body, despite the fact the forum has not taken place.

The resolution was intended to be read during the Nov. 8 meeting, but the meeting ended early because the building had to be evacuated because of a fire alarm. The resolution will be introduced Monday in the meeting immediately following the forum, and will be voted on after Thanksgiving break.

“It is the belief of all the (resolution’s) sponsors that the students do have a voice on this issue and that’s why it’s important that students talk to their senators,” said Sen. Adam French, author of the resolution.

University Police Capt. Daniel Benitez said he would not feel comfortable with students carrying guns on campus and the possibility use at free will.

Charlie Kitchen, communication design sophomore, said he would like to keep the policy and would feel uneasy if students could have handguns all throughout campus.

The qualification to carry a concealed handgun are not extensive; therefore carrying one is made available to anyone regardless of their shooting experience said Benitez.

French, director of the Freshman Council, and said a majority of the on-campus students he spoke with believe the policy is fine as is. However, he said off-campus students don’t seem to care either way.
Last edited by RPB on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
Embalmo

Post by Embalmo »

RPB wrote:More info at:
http://star.txstate.edu/content/conceal ... nday-night" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks!

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

YW, UT Austin's Student Government pulled a similar tactic, voting to still not allow people the right to protect themselves INSIDE any building. :banghead:
I'm no lawyer

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

University Police Capt. Daniel Benitez said he would not feel comfortable with students carrying guns on campus and the possibility use at free will.
Is it a pre-requisite for Campus Police to be sub-optimal?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Relate the logic of Police statements here:

(Campus Police admit to not being able to stop thefts from cars, but want you to leave your gun in it?)

http://star.txstate.edu/content/top-10- ... san-marcos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Officers for both the San Marcos and university police departments advise students to keep their possessions safe.
“Don’t keep property in your car,” Mobley said. “There’s nothing you can do to stop stereo (theft), but don’t leave 250 CD’s (in your car), don’t leave your wallet, your purse, credit cards, cash or jewelry.”

Then why force me to leave my gun there ??????

Where is my pistol more likely to fall into the wrong hands?
See my comment (Posted at top of the list sorted by popularity, I posted as "MrLogical")
at
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/content ... e-campuses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ok, guns aren't "illegal" on campus now, except in certain areas like inside the buildings.

Which is more likely to fall into wrong hands?

1)The one concealed, that no one knows is there in a holster inside my pants while I'm sitting in my desk,
or
2)The one in my car I had to remove from my holster inside my pants, because it's illegal inside the building while I'm in class, they'd get while stealing my GPS, radar detector, stereo and gun?

By the way, "The one in a holster inside my pants while I sit at my desk" .. I mean I'm wearing the pants, with IWB holster on a reinforced belt, and my gun is concealed, just like it is when you are sitting next to me in a movie theater, restaurant, walking down the aisle at WalMart or HEB grocery shopping, or at ACL music fest with 65,000 other people, or any other pace you go where people, including myself, go.
Why would it be more likely someone would reach in my pants in a classroom, than elsewhere?
If you have an uncontrollable desire to reach into my pants, please ask permission first.

-------------

Now Houston has more colleges than San Marcos
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/edi ... 39700.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Concealed handgun license holders carry handguns for personal protection, not so they can act like amateur one-man SWAT teams. And most police officers know this. The vice president of the Houston Police Officers Union, the largest police union in Texas, recently dismissed concerns about license holders adding to the confusion of an active shooter situation and announced that his organization supports campus carry.
I'm no lawyer

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

University has another related article now, Pro Campus Carry
(Current Editorial Board versus the prior Editorial Board and ASG)

http://star.txstate.edu/content/main-po ... -bear-arms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The University Star has run numerous editorials opposing concealed carry on campuses.

Most recently, in an April 29 Main Point, the editorial board lobbied against a bill introduced in the Texas Legislature that would have legalized concealed carry in campus buildings and restricted university administrators from making a decision on the issue.

As the composition of the board has changed, so has opinion on the issue.

As long as there is adequate training and screening, the editorial board supports allowing concealed handguns on campus. Legislation in January that would limit universities’ power to encroach on an Constitutional right would be welcomed.

Another related article
http://star.txstate.edu/content/profess ... good-stuff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(The "Antis" articles are in the "NEWS" section, and the CHLs articles are in the "Opinions" section.)
I'm no lawyer

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

Thanks, RPB, for the reference. I read the article by Mr. Lewis on Oct 9 and was very impressed with his effort to express the facts on the subject. I hope everyone in Houston read it. The only university I visit these days is Rice, a private school that would be exempt, I suppose, to any new law on the subject. About 8 years ago, I exchanged snail mail with the campus police chief, requesting permission to carry, to no avail. He said that several professors have asked permission for them to carry, but that he has granted none, and doesn't intend to. I don't know if he is still there. (Maybe you are reading this, Chief?).
TX CHL 1997

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

rdcrags wrote:Thanks, RPB, for the reference. I read the article by Mr. Lewis on Oct 9 and was very impressed with his effort to express the facts on the subject. I hope everyone in Houston read it. The only university I visit these days is Rice, a private school that would be exempt, I suppose, to any new law on the subject. About 8 years ago, I exchanged snail mail with the campus police chief, requesting permission to carry, to no avail. He said that several professors have asked permission for them to carry, but that he has granted none, and doesn't intend to. I don't know if he is still there. (Maybe you are reading this, Chief?).
Presumably if campus carry were passed, Rice would have to properly post or provide 30.06 notice to keep you out of their buildings and/or off their property while carrying under authority of CHL.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I wish there was a way to write the bill such that any college whose students pay tuition with money given by government grants or insured loans .....
Any college which gets any form of government tax breaks ...

something.
I'm no lawyer

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”